Outfits over 12 meters in Spain

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the above. to be sure plates are required.

I will use the licence plate double sided sticky tabs available from any car accessory shop. By obsevation of many trucks in passing over the last few weeks, none I have seen, Spanish or otherwise are drilled in the yellow. They are either drilled in the red, or have invisible (sticky) fixing. Mine will be applied at Newton Abbot on the way to Plymouth, and probably removed at the same place on the way back. I do not think UK police would be the slightest bit interested either way.

geo

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm surprised that nobody has been out to Spain since this thread started and in a position to give us the 'nod' on the situation over there...

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
There definately enforcing it down here in Alicante, Two times on differant days at our local peaje ive seen Traffico out with their tape measures. One was deffo getting booked. Even all the coaches have them fitted but what puzzles me is the local service buses dont.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
OK thank's Russell, that means I will have to buy some plates then, fortunately Bailey's technical dept. sent me some mastic tape to hold them on so at least I don't need to drill the van....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Have just got back from 4 weeks in Spain/France. I played safe and put on some reflector plates from Diagraph transport supplies, cost around

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
The recently published (15 June) C&CC Carefree Winter Sun brochure has a comment on this subject, whilst not defining the exact legal requirement, and saying they are nut sure, suggests members of long units apply these marker boards for travelling in Spain.

geo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nidge,

How did you fix the plates to your van?
Hi Nick,

I used the double sided number plate pads from Halfords. 1 at each end and 1 in the center.

No problems at all after towing around 3000 miles, they are still fixed firmly as from day 1.

Hope this helps

Regards Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nick,

I used the double sided number plate pads from Halfords. 1 at each end and 1 in the center.

No problems at all after towing around 3000 miles, they are still fixed firmly as from day 1.

Hope this helps

Regards Nidge

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Reply from the Caravan Club this morning----

Hello

Thank you very much for your recent enquiry, and please accept my apologies that your original e-mail has not been answered.

I am not surprised that there is such a large amount of conflicting information as trying to get sense out of the Spanish Authorities is very difficult and extremely slow! I will, however explain where we are at the moment:

At the present time we are still trying to confirm the size of marker boards that the Spanish police will accept, the regulations stipulate that the marker boards must be 500mm x 250mm or manufactured to ECE70 regulations, I found two companies here in the UK manufacture their marker boards to ECE70 regulations and they are 565mm x 200mm I contacted the DTG (Direccion General de Trafico in Spain) to make sure that our marker boards would be accepted by the Spanish Police and the DTG said "no the marker boards must be 500mm x 250mm" so I then looked at numerous Spanish websites trying to find the correct sized marker boards only to find that the ones you can buy in Spain are the same size as the ones in the UK! I have gone back to the DTG and asked the same question again and I am waiting for their response.

The other problem with marker boards is that you would need to remove them from the back of your caravan when driving in the UK. I have raised a complaint with SOLVIT which is an organisation set up to solve problems caused by the misapplication of EU rules in Member States, and I am waiting for their response. (Which could take 8-12 weeks).

So in summary:

Caravanners have been fined between _150.00 - _300.00 for not have the marker plates in Spain. (It has been a requirement to have them since 1998 but until the beginning of this year the law was not being enforced)

We still do not have confirmation that the UK marker boards are accepted (however I would be amazed if the Spanish police actually bothered to measure the marker boards as the discrepancy in size is only 6-5cm)

We are trying to confirm with the powers that be in the EU that the Spanish are allowed to enforce this law on visiting UK outfits

It is really difficult to give you advice, as it may well be the case that you could travel to Spain and have no problems at all, as the authorities in Spain may move on to another law and stop measuring UK outfits and issuing fines. Or alternatively SOLVIT may decide that their law is unfair. I have prepared an information sheet which I attach for you, this will be put on the internet and the magazine once we have confirmation from the DTG and a reply from SOLVIT.

I will of course put any updates in the monthly magazine but it takes weeks and weeks to get a reply from any organisation in Spain.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Best regards
Do not believe that if u are stopped by the police in spain that they wont measure the size of the plates as they all carry tape measures for measuring the lenghts of the loads on lorries

Iwill ask some spanish friends who have an outfit over 12 mtrs and find out exactly what they have to put on the back and the size of them and where to buy them

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts