Overnighting Options

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
OK. This is the new topic requested by Tony on the Motorhome Channel thread
smiley-smile.gif

To summarise. Camping in caravans (including motorhomes) is mainly controlled by the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Here is a brief summary of how the Act affects off site camping.
Certificates for CLs/CSs can only be granted by organisations which have the necessary exemption. See Here for a list of exempted organisations.
The CC and C&CC are the largest exempted organisations. The MCC is also an exempted organisation. Unlike the CC and C&CC, the MCC do not restrict their certificated sites to use by their members. The PMH Nightstops are actually CLs given certificates by the MCC to ensure that they operate legally.
Britstops is not an exempted organisation and neither is the similar Motorhome Stopover Club. The sites listed by those two organisations are not the same as PMH Nightstops or (as far as I know) any other certificated sites.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It just struck me that one option not covered in the post above is at the roadside or in a layby. See Here for the facts.
Graham

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I previously published papers on Offsite Camping in the UK and Making The Case for Aires in the UK on my personal Notes page. These papers have now been added to the Motorhome Parking web site.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Just the job he thought, a Brit stop aire type parking somewhere near the pompey ferry terminal because, much against my better judgement, We are making a trip to the UK at the end of March Via LD lines and the ferry docks at 21.30 so need somewhere to overnight especially if the crossing has been less than smooth.

Ah well back to the drawing board!

TRENDING THREADS