Parking up a caravan

Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
This may seem like a silly question, but can someone put me through the stages of parking up a caravan.... would it be easier to reverse the caravan into the space, or stop the car and unhitch the caravan, then manually put it in place.

We're picking up our caravan in a couple of weeks, the place we are storing it, is grass, so maybe uneven.

I believe a caravan would have a couple of legs to steady it, but would it have the means of leveling it?

I've seen blocks under the legs of caravans, I believe to stop it sinking into soft ground?

It's a small caravan, would it be easy for two adults, (getting on a bit...lol) to manouvre it into place?

Thanks

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi christine welcome to the world of caravans,when we got our first van a few years ago we used to store it on a farm this was also grass,when we arrived we used to unhook the van then push it into our space between other vans this was quite easy to push,but it was a level pitch,when we collected the van we used to pull it out hitched up,once my confidence had grown i was able to reverse it into the gap this took Lots of practice and patience,as for the legs when storing just wind them down as a steady you can cut 4 bits of ply to use as 'feet',if this is not conveinient then most caravan shops do plastic feet that hook onto your wind down legs,the legs can be used for levelling the van when you are on site.

If you are unsure of anything on site most caravaners are more than willing to help(wait till you put your awning up)

Good luck

Andrew.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Do you want to know how to put your caravan on a pitch on a caravan site or are you simply storing it? If its the latter it is no where near as critical. It's always easier to use the car to do the hard work by pulling the van onto a site, but if the pitch is level and a good solid surface two reasonably fit(?) adults can manoeuvre it with relative ease. Don't use the corner steadies for levelling - they're only meant to improve stability. Cut some wooden blocks to put under the steadies or buy plastic ones. For levelling you will need a ramp, either home made in wood or buy a plastic one with a chock from a local accessory shop or on the internet. Finally no it's not a silly question, but the devil is in the detail and it depends how much detail you want!

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I would do whatever you feel is best for you.

If you can push/pull your 'van into place - and find this easier than reversing it - then do it! Why not?

Mac

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Christine,

If you need to level the van on a site, posision the van where you want it (use the car to do the work) use a spirit level to see if the van is level side to side, if not you will need to put a wooden/plastic block under the lowest wheel. Again use the car to do the hard work.

When you are level side to side apply the caravan hand brake (if on a slope chock the wheels), then unhitch the car & level front to back using the jockey wheel.

Then you can wind down the steadies. If you are on grass the steadies will sink into the grass, so most people carry blocks of wood or fit plastic feet to the steadies to spread the load.

Hope that helps a bit

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts