pathfinder or grand cherokee 3.0 crd

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi currently tow a 1600 kg single axle van with a cherokee 2.8 crd , fancy a change to a bigger car (and auto box this time)these two 4x4s are on the top of my list ( caravan all year and rally a lot so weightwise need a large car) do you use either and what are your thoughts cheers jim ps do not want to start another infantile rant on 4x4s please

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i hope i can help. we have a grand cherokee 4.0 limited auto R reg and tow a 1300kg avondale dart 556/6 6 berth 22ft long and a nose weight of 90. its a lovely smooth car and when it wants to go it goes. its great up hills when towing the van.

we will be changing the van we think to a sterling europa 620 twin wheeler and we might change the car for either a seat alhambra 1.9 tdi (just for cheaper fuel), or just get a newer grand cherokee, we just cant deceide.

i havent been much help but hey.

jo-anne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We changed our tow car earlier this year. The last tow car was a Frontera 2.2 DTI which was an excellent tug and we knew it wasnt going to be easy finding a replacement. We set out our requirements and then test drove all the contenders. In the end the out right winner was the WH Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD the only other contender was the Discovery TD3 but that didnt give the same kit for the money. 6 months on we havent been disapointed, the torque at 510kn is unbelievable especialy when towing. 60mph is achieved with no effort and the cruise control holds it there regardless of hills. Fuel consumption is around 22mpg towing 28mpg solo which for a 3.0 V6 we find acceptable. Recently while ours was at the dealer we were given a Cherokee 2.8 as a courtesy car , we couldnt believe the difference and were glad to get the GC back, have a test drive in the GC I am sure you wont be disapointed. The auto box fiitted is the tiptronic box which is extreemely smooth and gives you the option of using it as a semi auto if you wish. Nose weight is 140kg and towing limit 3500kg (which I am sure it could manage without to much effort). Permanent 4x4 so no deciding if to select 4x4 .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
delt1c ,done the rounds at the dealers today, my better half liked the grand cherokee and the deal was superb so guess what we pick up in a few days ? now to order the towbar ( does anyone want to buy a brinks removable towbar for a cherokee?)and a pair of gen roof rails and twin cycle carrier?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Crusader, I am sure you wont be disappointed, you have know joined that ellite band of WH towers . We opted for the brink matic towbar which is detachable and locks on with a key. We got the bar from Towequipe and got a local fitter to fit it.

I am sure you will find the WH a more than capable tow vehicle and have many relaxing towing miles ahead.

I have always enjoyed towing, but with the WH grand Cherokee it is a dream, loads of torque and smooth gearbox makes towing a dream. Keep us posted as to how you find the WH.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
delt1c , due to pick it up on the 6th of nov , cant make my mind up what type of tow bar to go for ( fixed would be better for a cycle carrier but not look as good as removable, but you cant bang your shins on a bar if its not there?) did you get jeep electrics as there seems to be a large plug behind rear panel i assume it is for the lights ect? ps what does WH stand for ? cheers jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the electrcs fitted by the person who fitted the bar, so dont know how he did it. We opted for thre removable ( have had removeable bars on last 3 cars) it does require a bumper cut (although I think the fixed does as well). Looks realy neat and no bruised shins and bad language. The US model is WK and the export model is WH dont know what it means .

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Crusader

I would go of the Cherokee has it seem of a better build

than the Pathfinder.

I look round a Pathfinder last moth and I throat the build was not of a good standard but it mite be me as I have been look round Landover's and I was comparing it against them.

Mark

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Crusader !!!

My wife who knows absolutley nothing about cars, thought the Pathfinder should have a builders or plumbers name down the side. A little utilitaran in looks.

Val & Frank

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
We have an 04 grand cherokee 2.7 towing a twin axle. Pulling power is brill and the new grand 3.0 has even more torque. Try this website www.drivethedeal.com Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Limited

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
delt1c ,got the gc on thursday what a machine ,fitted towbar today and on our first trip out towing with it friday will report in on our trip, plumped for a bosal detachable bar so it should save my shins a bruise or two !! jim p.s if you see a graphite grey gc towing a elddis crusader aurora and the driver is smiling ITS ME

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Crusader

Just got back after 1000 miles of towing from the south up to Scotland and around. The GC is awesome for towing, held 60mph using cruise control on Motorways and 50mph without any effort. Consumption averaged around 20mpg which isnt bad for a beast of this size.

The Quadra drive auto box also makes for smooth driving and gives a degree of control with the auto box. I also find reversing with the auto very easy, so much so that since getting the GC I have hardly used the motor mover on the van. Interestingly we did see another WH Grand towing whilst in Scotland last week.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just an update deltic, we towed a 100 mile round trip last weekend unbelievable ! the autobox was superb, the jeep felt solid compared with the cherokee (and i thought that was good) very relaxing to tow and good "manouverability" on and off pitches and also at storage, fuel was around 22mpg towing ,my better half uses it for work and its around 25, not yet checked but does the computer read in us gallons or is it coverted to uk ,thanks jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Crusader

I was sure you would be impressed, you cant imagine the power or relaxed towing with this beast until you actualy drive it. The mileage on the computer is UK gallons , I have checked it by manualy calculating the consumption . Fuel consumtion for me varies between 19 - 22 towing, with so much power available I make sure I fully use it. I have managed to sqeeze 32mpg on the motorway, but usualy I return around 28mpg solo on a run. This is from Shell Extra diesel or BP ultmate diesel. Both of which have a higher cetane rating, which burns hotter so less emisions, this is proved by there never being any soot marks on the van.

Currently ours has gone to the body shop as some p**t in an L200 scraped down the side, just awaiting the courtesy car which is to be a Discovery TD3 so it will be interesting to make the comparison.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts