Pegasus 524

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
We have just ordered a new Pegasus 524 from Chipping Sodbury Caravans. We pick ip the new one in May.

It has been a difficult decision as to which van to go for. The final fight was betwwen a Olympus 624 and the Pegasus 524.

The Pegasus extras won it in the end. The extra 4" width, the super adjustable front lounge and the larger fridge.

I still feel that the Olympus is nearer to Ranger GT 60 spec than our current Pageant S7. Granted the Olympus has ATC, but it loses the 4" width, the bigger fridge and the std Omnivent that the Pageant had.

No more beds to make up every night now! Perhaps we should have got a Pageant S7 Burgandy rather than the Bretagne, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We collected our new Pegasus 524 last week.Delighted with the new van.Dealer had everything right in the van for us.A lot of negative views on other forums about the Pegasus.Mostly from non Pegasus owners.

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
We collected our new Pegasus 524 last week.Delighted with the new van.Dealer had everything right in the van for us.A lot of negative views on other forums about the Pegasus.Mostly from non Pegasus owners.
Some Pegasus owners have complained about poor finish. What % this is of total sales I do not know, but if I was forking out 16K+ I would want it to be perfect, so I think that Bailey do need to address the quality issues.

When this is done, they will have a superb product, as long as the quality continues throughout the van's life.

Three years should suffice. Time will tell.

Jim.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Im a non Pegasus owner and on what I saw when viewing for the first time last week I always be a non pegaus owner. Didnt like the white walls, or the 1/2 round finish covering the clamps, fitted poorly in the van I looked at, didnt like the wood colour or the fabric, the finish in the lockers and the bathroom was poor.

Each to their own and hope you will be happy with your choice, I got a new sterling last year and am very pleased with it, but im sure some others would think its not very good.

Kevin

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I have noticed the scepticism!!!!

In fairness, the Pegasus is radically different to most high level vans so I can see why some people are sceptical. However in my view, the Pegasus is prgress, the UK caravan industry needs dragging into the 21st Century.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
i have the brochures for both the oly and peg, my 2004 vermont is approaching the "i fancy a change stage", i am happy with a van 7'2" wide, don't see the need for one wider, also with my van we have had reliability problems with the dometec fridge, so i fancied a thetford instead.

So thats two for the oly.

But then the oly is slightly shorter than the peg, which is 2" longer, and i dont like the standard upholstry.

So thats two for the peg.

maybe i need a penalty shoot out?

I have also noticed that both the two berths have a very low load margin compared to my old van, about 50kg less!

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Kevin, if you mean the Blue striped upholstery that a fair few of the show vans are in, I agree. You have to pay extra for that!!! I have saved money and had the std upholstery.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Ray

Both vans have std spares so that is weight you don't need to add as payload.

The Peg also has a alko lock, tv and jack in the miro.

Both may be available with a weight plate upgrade as anyone with a licence after 1997 is restricted to mtplm no more than kerb weight of car. Also gross weight of car plus MTPLM has to be less than 3500 kg. The lower the mtplm, the greater number of people can legally tow it.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Zafiral,

I didnt want to be a sceptic, I was quite excited to be able to look inside one for the first time, however I was somewhat dissapointed, just my taste maybe but never the less dissapointed.

I do agree that the caravan market needs dragging into the 21st centry, and I like the idea of the new construction method, which im sure swift will follow soon, in some way.

I was genuine when I said I hope you enjoy your choice I really do, along with all others who buys a new van be it a bailey swift or any other make as its a very large outlay.

Kevin

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully Swift and other will not use the same method of construction until it has been fully tested by owners.It may prove to be very good but there is a cold bridge at the joints where condensation will likely form. There may not be any wood in this area but at present the affect on the glued parts is not known. I believe Bailey have already advised owners to leave windows on night vent to limit condensation on the GRP internal sides.

Enjoy your new van,like Ray I have a senator (02) and its time for a change....looked at other vans online and do not like any of them (http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/2010/video-caravan-manufacturers-2010.php)...It was only the Pegasus 514 that made me change my beloved Arizona..ok the walls were a wee problem but everything else is fab

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Kevin

I appreciate that the Pegasus will not be to everyones taste, so thank goodness there are choices, caravan sites full of identical vans could lead to embarrasing incidents of going to the wrong van! The white walls while a bit stark, at least you can wipe jam and chocolate spread off easily!

I also find it wierd that the cheaper Olympus has much posher worktops than the Pegasus, but I sure Bailey have their reasons!!!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
zafiral

I appreciate what you are saying, but i would have the chest of drawers, so lose another 13kg.

Bailey would not give me an increase on my vermount, its under 1350kg so not possible, i assume the same applies to the new two berths.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
zafiral

I appreciate what you are saying, but i would have the chest of drawers, so lose another 13kg.

Bailey would not give me an increase on my vermount, its under 1350kg so not possible, i assume the same applies to the new two berths.
Ray, try the Bailey customer helpline, for about

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Ray

I have just phoned the Bailey Helpline (0117 305 2939) to ask if a weight upgrade was available for a Peg 524. I was told that the 524 is already at max weight, but the 462 & the twin axle models can be upgraded

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well done Zafiral

I was very glad Bailey dumped the Pageant S7 wood colour.

I still find it hard to accept the Peg is a direct replacement, officially or unofficially , for the Senator range. I expect Bailey will add lots more extras over the years.We shall see.

My only gripe is the front locker arrangement. I carry lots of "long things" which I know wont fit in the Pegs.

Glad to see you have purcheased from a top dollar dealer.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
zafiral

That's a surprise, i did email bailey for a upgrade to my present vermont, at 1333kg, i was told it could not be increased.

On another thread, swift published the axle loads they used, the lowest was 1350kg max, so my assumption was

pick a van just over 1350kg and you can have a upgrade, because you will be on the next axle max load (can't remember what the other loads were).

maybe swift use different axles to bailey?

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Ray, it could be the tyre load ratings.

Swift state that they allow a 10% load allowance for safety. That means a 1350kg MTPLM van will have tyres able to take 1500kg.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
zafiral

I hadn't thought of the tyres, good point.

But i did note that the peg 2 berth, has the same profile tyres as my mine, and is slightly lower on max weight.

Back to the garage now fitting more lights and sockets.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Zafiral

We had our Peg 524 just before Christmas last year.

Took it away to Chester between Christmas and New Year and it was great.

Lovely van to tow, just watch the noseweight,we had the chest in so it didn't help.

Really nice and roomy inside and really quite cosy at night.

Much criticed walls can give nice atmosphere with lighting at night.

As we swapped from S6 Burgundy we are used to the layout, but the extra width and height really make a difference,

The big windowsill is really excellent when you're lounging, plenty of room for your beverages.

Anyway enjoy, we have and have really no criticisms.

Tom

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Tom

What noseweight limit does your car have?

We have just changed cars and now have BP light gas and a 100kg noseweight limit, so hopefully we should be OK.

We are now deciding whether to get a chest or not so you don't have to get the table out all the time, but is it better for lounging about without the chest? However we have to make a decision very soon.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Ray. I have been told you keep the cusions. In a display van with a chest (not sure which dealer), the other cusions were under the fixed bed.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Zafiral

We had our Peg 524 just before Christmas last year.

Took it away to Chester between Christmas and New Year and it was great.

Lovely van to tow, just watch the noseweight,we had the chest in so it didn't help.

Really nice and roomy inside and really quite cosy at night.

Much criticed walls can give nice atmosphere with lighting at night.

As we swapped from S6 Burgundy we are used to the layout, but the extra width and height really make a difference,

The big windowsill is really excellent when you're lounging, plenty of room for your beverages.

Anyway enjoy, we have and have really no criticisms.

Tom
Tom - Thanks, your live-in views reflect what we thought when we saw the van. Good luck with yours and roll on May!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts