Pegasus Bridge Normandy

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I have just retired and have always had an interest in WW2.
As this will be our first ever trip abroad towing the caravan I thought Normandy is a good place too start. Not too much driving but enough to get a feel of what’s it all about.
I’m hoping that someone could suggest a good site in the Caen area for our stay.
Ideally the site would be overlooking the D day beaches.
We don’t need swimming pools, bars and noise. Just somewhere peaceful and relaxing.
Also can any of you that travels in France regularly please let me know of things I should be aware of when holidaying there, thanks.

Geoff

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you understand their speed limits for towing. There's a lower limit for outfits where the combined MAM + MTPLM are above 3500 kg. This is totally independent of actual outfit weight it is the sum of plated weights. In France they have truly random breath testing and a lower limit than UK. Put spare wheel in van if it's carried underneath as in event of puncture you would be trying to pull it out in traffic flow. Take short converter cable for hook up. Have enough UK gas or you will be buying Camping Gaz and converters; messy. You could get hold of a CMHC European touring guide. Lots of sites shown in France and lots of good touring info.
We've had many lovely holidays in France so hope you do too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Geoff, we toured France every 12 weeks for a month at a time, whilst I was working, for tax reasons, And the biggest problem was after the French "season" closing in September was finding sites that were open all year. The UKcampsites, .co.uk is good for finding places in France. It all depends on what time of year you want to go. There are a lot of sites along the Normandy coast during the "season" but not many afterwards, There were a few places near to Ouisterham that were open due to the ferry port. If you fancy meeting up for a pint and a talk about it, I will ask Parksy to give you my Email and phone number. Bedford George is also a great French tourer and has a lot of info,
Hutch. P
Parksy could you please let Geoff have my email address and phone number.
Thanks
Hutch.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You might want to check out the CAMC site for information on https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/useful-information/first-time-abroad/?ref=top_nav&id=first_time_abroad
You will also find similar information on the C&CC site.
If you are a member of either and book your ferry and/or insurance through them you should get a pack of information.
I think the point on GTW given is incorrect. As I understand it, if the cars GTW exceeds 3,500kg then the lower speed limits apply, irrespective of whether the total of the maximum weights for the car and caravan actually exceed this.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood is correct, if your cars GTW is above3500kg then you are restricted to 90 kph although the French Germans and Dutch don't seem to adhere to that. And get into the middle lane on Motorways as you come upto a joining junction as the cars and trucks just seem to pull straight out.
Most of all though have fun. Remember France closes between 12pm and 3pm. For lunch.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
GD485, with regards to the comments Hutch made about motorists just pulling out from the slip lane onto the main carriageway of the motorway, I believe that the traffic coming on from the slip lane, have priority over the traffic already on the main carriageway.
Not too sure of the truth in this, as I seem to recall that I may have read it somewhere.
I have stayed right next to the canal that Pegasus Bridge crosses, but can't think of the name of the site. I also believe it's open all year.
Regards,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No they don’t. Autoroute has priority. "Cedez le passage" But as in UK some fail to stick by the rules. My police instructor advised going into lane 2 if clear when approaching a joining slip road. One it allows joining traffic to join. Two it keeps a safe space between you and idiots. Of course with a van on the back its not always feasible so I just look at for joining traffic and ease off if required.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pegasus bridge museum very well worth visiting, good dispays and easy access. Unless your French is good avoid the guided tour which includes about half an hour sitting round a model of the area and having every last detail explained in rapid French.
The replica Horsa glider is, unfortunately just that and not available to walk through. It's a bit sterile compared to the exhibit at the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop Hampshire.
But all the rest, the bridge models, the lcalculator for loading the gliders., the air portable vehicles - excellent. My OH who is not by any means an aviation anorak like me rated it highly.
The original bridge has been relocated to the museum which also has sections of the much less glamourpus Bailey Bridges much used in the area. Good basic engineering design needing few and basic tools to build. Good to see many young Brits visiting and being impressed by the courage and determination of their grandfathers too.

There is a site beyond the museum coming from the Ouistreham direction, sorry forgotten name. Pretty old and expensive but quiet. The big site almost next to the ferry port would also be convenient.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
"There is a site beyond the museum coming from the Ouistreham direction, sorry forgotten name. Pretty old and expensive but quiet.".

I think that would be Camping Des Capucines in Ranville. As you say, a quiet site and a little tired but still one of my favourites. But it certainly does not have any views of the beaches.

Mike

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I stayed there about 4 years ago and the site was open until the end of October, when French chilren came around for Halloween, thankfully I had some sweets, chocolate and tangerines.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I stayed there about 4 years ago and the site was open until the end of October, when French chilren came around for Halloween, thankfully I had some sweets, chocolate and tangerines.

A bucket of cold water is a good alternative to sweets, chocolate and tangerines. It is trick or treat after all.

At home I have a bucket of cold water on the en suite window ledge above the front door should the halloween visitors request a trick :p :p

May 11, 2017
Visit site
We've been to France four times since getting into caravanning last June - returned late last night from a week in Houlgate, Normandy. I can't recommend Houlgate enough, along with a trip along the coast to Honfleur, Deauville, Trouville etc. Beautiful little towns with fab restaurants and a great atmosphere. We stayed at Camping La Vallee, but I'm not sure it's the correct location for you, and it's got a bar, pool etc - ideal to keep our little ones occupied.
Our biggest piece of advice for driving in France is to get a Sanef toll tag if you're going to drive on motorways (autoroutes - "peage" - you have to pay a toll to use them), I can't praise them enough. From memory it's a minimal cost to subscribe, then once you're on the autoroute network you drive more-or-less straight through the toll booths. No trying to get a bit closer to the toll booth because the passenger can't quite reach to pay, not having the right money, dropping your credit card then being too close to the barrier to open the card door... etc etc...). Of course you do receive a bill when you get home :(
https://www.saneftolling.co.uk
Make sure you check out some of the French laws re carrying reflective jackets in the car (not the boot / caravan, but accessible in case you break down) and also two in-date, NF-approved breathalysers. We also bought some speed limit stickers for the rear of the caravan this time; according to the man on P&O these are a legal requirement in France, but to be honest I'm not convinced..... (we're a 3,500kg+ outfit and I think the comments above re the maximum capacity of the towing car rather than actual weight as weighed by a weigh bridge at the time are correct).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts