Perfect for little adventures?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This might be worth a look Knaus Knaus 420 QD Caravan 10 year water ingress warranty and at Aventure leisure vehicles Cumbria happy hunting when you go looking

Last edited:
Reactions: Van Fisher
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, that's a great idea. Always see motorhomes and statics advertised for hire, but never tourers. However, a quick google after your suggestion found camplify.co.uk, and I expect there are others.
We used campify to hire from professional hire company in NZ. Worked out really well help decide that caravaning was for us. Thought separate shower on rental would be great idea but found it to cramped in practice so going to wet room on our 20yr 2berth wasn't issue.

If exercise is try different caravans then renting period need only be a couple nights over long weekend nearby. Maybe try 2-3 different vans over few months.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We used campify to hire from professional hire company in NZ. Worked out really well help decide that caravaning was for us. Thought separate shower on rental would be great idea but found it to cramped in practice so going to wet room on our 20yr 2berth wasn't issue.

If exercise is try different caravans then renting period need only be a couple nights over long weekend nearby. Maybe try 2-3 different vans over few months.
Hiring a caravan in the UK cna be eye watering expensive based on us checking earlier this year. Also they delivered to the site so another extra expense as you are charged per mile. It seemed to be actually cheaper to buy an old second hand caravan to try for the week than hire one?

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Well, we spent 4 hours at Adventure Vehicles today and explored about 20 caravans from 5 manufacturers, to the point of laying on beds and sitting on loo's (fully dressed of course ;) ) to test comfort and space. The nice folks there are very accommodating and helpful with explanations.

As well as our subjective thoughts on style, we tried to imagine various scenarios and how we would use the van and what features, layouts, etc, would suit us best. I reluctantly conceded that space for my motorcycle was maybe not the highest priority :LOL:.

By process of elimination, we just about settled on the Eriba's as "best in class" so far. Although, we didn't quite decide which size or configuration was optimal for us. We also appreciate there are other brands and models we have yet to look at.

Reactions: Mel
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, we spent 4 hours at Adventure Vehicles today and explored about 20 caravans from 5 manufacturers, to the point of laying on beds and sitting on loo's (fully dressed of course ;) ) to test comfort and space. The nice folks there are very accommodating and helpful with explanations.

As well as our subjective thoughts on style, we tried to imagine various scenarios and how we would use the van and what features, layouts, etc, would suit us best. I reluctantly conceded that space for my motorcycle was maybe not the highest priority :LOL:.

By process of elimination, we just about settled on the Eriba's as "best in class" so far. Although, we didn't quite decide which size or configuration was optimal for us. We also appreciate there are other brands and models we have yet to look at.
Eriba are nice caravans but just to make sure check all the makes and models then you will know good luck

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
After a nights sleep to "cool off" from the excitement of poking around all the caravans yesterday, and plenty more discussion between ourselves about other models viewed on line this morning, I picked up the phone and bought our first caravan this afternoon.

After a fairly long process of elimination, we decided a six year old Eriba 540GT, from Adventure vehicles, has pretty well, the perfect combination of accommodation layout and features for us.

We collect it next Tuesday afternoon. First we will be given 3 to 4 hours of familiarisation. Then, we'll be off, for our first night in a caravan, A freebie at Pennine View Park, courtesy of Adventure Vehicles. Their idea is for us to live the experience and ensure everything works to our satisfaction, before setting off for the journey home.

I don't know if the standard of service that we are experiencing from Adventure Vehicles is normal for the industry, but I must say, we are very impressed.

Probably a good moment for me to thank all the forum members who have generously taken the time to share their knowledge, experience, thoughts and encouragement with me, in the lead up to our purchase. Thanks guys!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After a nights sleep to "cool off" from the excitement of poking around all the caravans yesterday, and plenty more discussion between ourselves about other models viewed on line this morning, I picked up the phone and bought our first caravan this afternoon.

After a fairly long process of elimination, we decided a six year old Eriba 540GT, from Adventure vehicles, has pretty well, the perfect combination of accommodation layout and features for us.

We collect it next Tuesday afternoon. First we will be given 3 to 4 hours of familiarisation. Then, we'll be off, for our first night in a caravan, A freebie at Pennine View Park, courtesy of Adventure Vehicles. Their idea is for us to live the experience and ensure everything works to our satisfaction, before setting off for the journey home.

I don't know if the standard of service that we are experiencing from Adventure Vehicles is normal for the industry, but I must say, we are very impressed.

Probably a good moment for me to thank all the forum members who have generously taken the time to share their knowledge, experience, thoughts and encouragement with me, in the lead up to our purchase. Thanks guys!
Nice caravan and wow do they hold their value. Good service from the Dealer thus far, but like cars the quality of customer service is decided when things go wrong. But Eribas have an excellent reputation.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to club, adventures have just started.

If you have time do couple shakedown weekend trips near to home before big road trip. Create some checklists on phone or laminated paper. Especially,
Prehookup eg close windows hatches, legs up
Predrive off, eg jog wheel latched. Type of things that will ruin your day if you forget.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Eriba generally have excellent payload to put larger vans to shame. But carefully weigh everything and don’t make my mistake of overloading a 1000 MTPLM Trigano by 230kg when I weighed it on a public weighbridge. Embarrassing or what.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Very nice caravan and wow do they hold there value and a fantastic dealer to boot enjoy your first night and many more in the future

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Some more really useful stuff, thanks guys. My memory is not what it was, especially for new learning, so I'm Loving the idea of lists and video's.

The caravan weighs 980kg unladen and has an MTPLM of 1300kg, so I take it that we have 320kg of "stuff" capacity. It sounds a lot to me, but as every item adds, another list is on the cards. Maybe a weighed inventory list on excel, so I can add/remove bikes, fishing tackle, etc. and know how much capacity is left for food, etc.
Is the unladen weight like a cars curb weight? i.e., including items like the battery and a full tank of water? I suppose checking it on a weighbridge when loaded with what we decide as standard equipment, including a tank of water, would be a good idea as a base line.

Most of our adventures, at least initially, will be short, just 2 or 3 days, within an hour or two from home. We are fortunate to have lots of beautiful countryside around us, with coasts and mountains, we don't need to travel far.

Very excited!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some more really useful stuff, thanks guys. My memory is not what it was, especially for new learning, so I'm Loving the idea of lists and video's.

The caravan weighs 980kg unladen and has an MTPLM of 1300kg, so I take it that we have 320kg of "stuff" capacity. It sounds a lot to me, but as every item adds, another list is on the cards. Maybe a weighed inventory list on excel, so I can add/remove bikes, fishing tackle, etc. and know how much capacity is left for food, etc.
Is the unladen weight like a cars curb weight? i.e., including items like the battery and a full tank of water? I suppose checking it on a weighbridge when loaded with what we decide as standard equipment, including a tank of water, would be a good idea as a base line.

Most of our adventures, at least initially, will be short, just 2 or 3 days, within a couple of hours from home. We are fortunate to have such beautiful countryside around us, with coasts and mountains, we don't need to travel far.

Very excited!
Your dealer should advise you what is included in MRO, or the handbook should. My last caravan had EHU cable, water pipe for external container, one gas bottle total weight 10 kg (Calorlite ) 6kg , step, documentation pack, no fluids in any tank iin its MRO. So the battery is payload ,as is a mover etc and any extras previous owners may have fitted such as solar panel, bike carrier, non OEM mattress, spare wheel if not OEM etc. It might be a good idea to take it to a public weighbridge in MRO configuration and have it weighed. Once you are at the “basic weight” you can establish your MTPLM by weighing everything that you put into the caravan for trips including the masses of food and milk that doubtless goes in the fridge 😂.

I had spreadsheets sub divided into various types and lengths of trip . IE Winter week, summer long overseas, short summer etc. It then made loading the van easy. With a 320 kg payload others will be envious.

TRENDING THREADS