Perfect for little adventures?

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Inspired by passing a Basecamp 2 on the way home from a soggy camping experience, we are considering the purchase of our first caravan. It was the style of the Basecamp that appealed, more interesting than average.
Although we have not totally dismissed the Basecamp, after researching other small models, including but not limited to, Adria Action, TAB 400 and Freedom Carpento; we are favouring an Ariba 430. I particularly like the narrow build. At less than 2m, it is about the same as my car including mirrors. Reason I like that is that I have a propensity for more remote places, which usually means narrow lanes with limited passing places.
The other thing we like is a washroom (essential to my other half) and being able to eat at a table without dismantling the bed. Also, build quality is important to us.
Although our current favourite is small, and helpful comments on my introduction post suggesting that we might enjoy more space, we have discussed that and agreed, it is such a big step up from a small tent that it will provide sufficient comfort.
I would welcome any comments on our choice, things we may have not considered, etc. Thank you.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You have looked at some nice vans. If you favour a narrower van, also look at the Sprite Compact, if you haven’t already done so. In a small van, make sure the bed sizes work for you. The Sprite Compact does have compact beds. The best way to check is to actually make the bed up and lie on it! Also watch the headroom. My favourite of all our vans was an Xplore 302. Teeny tiny. I can see the attraction of the bijou.
Mel

Reactions: Van Fisher
Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
You have looked at some nice vans. If you favour a narrower van, also look at the Sprite Compact, if you haven’t already done so. In a small van, make sure the bed sizes work for you. The Sprite Compact does have compact beds. The best way to check is to actually make the bed up and lie on it! Also watch the headroom. My favourite of all our vans was an Xplore 302. Teeny tiny. I can see the attraction of the bijou.
Mel
Thanks, not seen the Sprite Compact before, we will add it to our list of potentials. Looks spacious for the size and a bigger bed than the Eriba 430. The Eriba 530 can have a similar size bed, but at the expense of an extra 10cm width on the body.

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Adria Action 36 might be worth a look. Compact but conventional with a payload owners of many larger vans would yearn for. 330kg …..👍
Thanks, We really like the Adria Action 361 LT, although it is 20cm wider then The Eriba 430. That payload is impressive!

Another big payload caravan I like is the Knaus Desio, but taking my motorcycle as well as my fishing tackle might be seen by my better half as a bit selfish :LOL: (and it's even wider)

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, not seen the Sprite Compact before, we will add it to our list of potentials. Looks spacious for the size and a bigger bed than the Eriba 430. The Eriba 530 can have a similar size bed, but at the expense of an extra 10cm width on the body.
I had a Trigano 420 DD pop top. Beautifully made and excellent to tow. It had a bespoke Walker full awning which provided very useful extra space. The main shortcoming was lack of inside space for two of us and two dogs. It was tight.

WP_20161015_15_12_55_Pro.jpeg

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
I had a Trigano 420 DD pop top. Beautifully made and excellent to tow. It had a bespoke Walker full awning which provided very useful extra space. The main shortcoming was lack of inside space for two of us and two dogs. It was tight.

View attachment 5268
With the price of fuel and the assumption it offers less drag when down, I do like the idea of a pop up roof.
Fortunately from a space perspective, we have no dogs to consider. Love 'em, but sadly they give me a sort of hay fever reaction.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the price of fuel and the assumption it offers less drag when down, I do like the idea of a pop up roof.
Fortunately from a space perspective, we have no dogs to consider. Love 'em, but sadly they give me a sort of hay fever reaction.
With the roof down they should fit in a standard garage or under a car port. Providing the former is dejunked first.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, just googles them and they are still made. Very compact and being Dutch, I guess they are fairly well built. The possibility list is getting longer!
We use to have a awning that fitted on the back it made the caravan a lot bigger but the bunks were not a bad size because i am fairly tall and when it was made into a doubled bed no problem i hope you get what you after and good luck

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Mel
Xplore 304 if you want dinette while leaving double bed made up. Was on my wish list for this very reason.

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
North West Wales is somewhat limited on caravan dealers so, planning to pop up to Adventure Leisure Vehicles in Cumbria on Monday to explore a few caravans.

We will probably visit a few other dealers in the coming weeks to seek out and view the various models mentioned. Thanks for your great suggestions,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
North West Wales is somewhat limited on caravan dealers so, planning to pop up to Adventure Leisure Vehicles in Cumbria on Monday to explore a few caravans.

We will probably visit a few other dealers in the coming weeks to seek out and view the various models mentioned. Thanks for your great suggestions,
Happy hunting. Do let us know if you choose any.
mel

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Happy hunting. Do let us know if you choose any.
mel
It's supposed to be just a fact finding expedition. We want to see what different models are like "in the flesh" as we are out of the country for the caravan show.
However, it is not unknown for me to be tempted into impulsive, spontaneous purchases :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mel
Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
If you've not owned one worth hiring to see what features you do and don,'t like. Doesn't have to be model you are interested in.
Thanks, that's a great idea. Always see motorhomes and statics advertised for hire, but never tourers. However, a quick google after your suggestion found camplify.co.uk, and I expect there are others.

TRENDING THREADS