Peugeot 406

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
I'm looking at a 2002 406 diesel GLX estate. I tow a Pageant with a MTPLW of 1345Kg which I never load anywhere near. I believe the Kerb weight of the 405 is only 1425Kg. (My current Passat is lighter) Any comments on the weight ratio and if the 110 has enough beef in it would be appreciated. Many thanks

Rob

Ps this is the best forum on the net practical but with good humour. (Or are my kids right and I'm just sad?)

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
ROB, It was quite a few years ago when i had a 406 it was a diesel saloon and we towed our coachman pastiche with it. we where right on the limit regards weight and found that the car was ok apart from an obvious lack of power, it really did struggle on some of the hills. however one day on a slightly wet day we aproached the roundabout local to us and although it was claer as we aproched some moron came speeding round almost on two wheels racing his mate without any indication, i braked hard and despite the abs the van just pushed us straight on to the roundabout, we had been travelling at about 15 mph, we had already been discussing changing the car due to the lack of power but this made our minds up, we went straight round the roundabout put the van back on the drive and spent the weekend finding our new car. on this occassion we bought a discovery this was a great car but a little too big for me to use for work so we swopped it for a ford galaxy diesel, this was also a superb car but we now had a coachman laser van and the galaxy only had 115 bhp so we kept it for 18 month and swapped it 4 weeks ago for a seat alhambra diesel which has 130 bhp, its only 15 bhp more but what a difference. I know ive gone on a bit but ive tried to illustrate that a little extra bhp goes a long way to a happy relaxed tow and with your van being a similar weight to our old pastiche i would hate for you to end up in the same situation. they are a great tow cars with a good match but i would be carefull with anything a bit heavy like your van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like JOHNG, I used to tow with an older 406 (1998 1.9TD) which had a kerbweight of 1350kgs and was 90bhp. I towed a 1300kg Coachman and the car was fine, apart from a lack of acceleration. Stability was good (probably due to the short rear overhang) and it was economical. Occasionally I used it to pull a trailer right up to the max. tow weight (1500kgs) and again all was okay, but it did seem to suffer wheelspin trying to pull away (you had to rev it hard to try to overcome the lack of power). The 110 bhp version is obviously much better and coupled with the higher kerbweight you will have no problems.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks folks. It seems the Estate is 1500Kg Kerbweight, heavier than I thought. Though i think even the 110 is going to be a bit pedestrian after the Passat.

Rob

TRENDING THREADS