pickup for towing

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
We are looking to reduce some of our outgoings by reducing the number of vehicles we have, one consideration is to use something like a Nissan Navara for both towing our twin axle and for me to use for work.
I would like to know if anyone has any experiene of using a vehicle like this - not looking for a response on vehicle performance etc - just how it is accepted at sites.
There are a few sites that don't like twin axles although we have never had a problem with the van over the years - but i don't know what problems would come by pulling it with a pickup

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
andy p said:
We are looking to reduce some of our outgoings by reducing the number of vehicles we have, one consideration is to use something like a Nissan Navara for both towing our twin axle and for me to use for work.
I would like to know if anyone has any experiene of using a vehicle like this - not looking for a response on vehicle performance etc - just how it is accepted at sites.
There are a few sites that don't like twin axles although we have never had a problem with the van over the years - but i don't know what problems would come by pulling it with a pickup

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Not sure how old the caravan is, but some manufacturers have a disclaimer stating that the warranty will be void if the caravan is towed by a commercial vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just some background information on the use of commercial vehicles for towing.

It is actually quite surprising the amount of vibratio that is transmited to the caravan through the hitch. even with normal cars, but when commercial vehicles with firmer suspension the range, velocity and magnitude of the vibrations rises.

The most frequent symptom of these vibrations is screws working loose, but longer exposiure can result in stress fractrues. I have seen stress fractuing around door and window frames where the change in profile focuses the effect, and on applainces such as fridges, space and water heaters.

You used to be able to get a shock absorbing hitch mount (Dixon Bate) but this may not be available for current vehicles due to changes in legislation concerning type approvals on tow bar systems.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have seen pickups like the Navarro, Rodeo etc on CC and C&CC sites with no apparent problems. In France it is often best to notify the site that you use a TA/pickup as they are less common as touring vans and are sometimes thought of as travellers vans. Not sure what a commercial vvehicle is as far as a definition for a warranty is. Is it its DVLA tax status? Worth doing some quiet investigation. Harsh suspension cannot be the answer as would your warranty be invalidated if you towed with your privately registered Land Rover Defender 90XS...they don't come much harder than that. If nothing is stated in your warranty or insurance then don't be concerned.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
I have seen previous statements whereby the general opinion is as long as it is not signwritten then you should be okay.
Personally I would not veiw a Navara as any different to a Pathfinder on site.
Just tell them you prefer the pick up for your water skis

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I tow with a Rodeo 3.0ltr Auto with a back on for the dogs to travel in, my Hymer is 1600kg MTPLM on a single axle, but due to the cart springs on the back of the truck ( they are designed to carry 1000kg ) & not wanting to damage my van, I bought a shocklink from e-bay, even with a single axle the ride improvement is noticed, so if you don't want to see your van slowly falling to bits in front of your eye's, I would suggest investing in one.
CotswoldsJune2010002.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts