Pitch etiquette

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's the scenario. We're parked on an aire, with pretty generous pitches, clearly marked. It's getting quite full but there are still a number of spaces available at the far end, and there was one space to our left. The guy on the next but one pitch has a trailer, which he has parked to the far right of his pitch but he is still within the marked lines. We are parked centrally within our pitch. A couple have just tried to squeeze, sideways on, into the empty space between us. It would have resulted in them being right up against the other guy's trailer, and overhanging onto our pitch. This I wouldn't make much fuss about usually but they would also have been staring straight into our van windows. All quite unnecessary as there was no reason why they should not have parked 'front to back' as we on the adjacent pitches are, or if they want to park lengthways, there is room further up the aire.I guess they wanted to use the neighbouring vans as windbreaks on this blustery day.

My question is: was I wrong to open the door and to point out to them in a firm voice that their method of parking was unfair and unnecessary?

PS They have parked next to us in a front to back' way and we are now quite happy...

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Morning Donna,
Hope you're well? Glad to hear your pitch problems had a happy ending, think you were right to speak up!
Would you mind if I used this as a short letter in the next issue? Thought it might make a good talking point for others. Is this OK? Also, did you happen to take any photos?
Talk soon, cheers.

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Stacie, sorry for the delay. Yes, we're well thanks, hope you are too?
Feel free to use it, it's already become a talking point in a couple of other places; most people agree that folk who park in a thoughtless manner should be told so, the occasional person has said they'd love to say something but don't dare! I didn't take any photos, sorry, that might have been pushing it!

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Airetiquette normally demands that you park so that your door does not face directly onto the door side of your neighbour, for UK vans with their doors on the wrong side this would normally mean that you will be facing the wrong way. It is normal to park the non door side of the van just about on ( but not over) the white line giving room to have drinks etc outside. Those of us with less extreme lengths have been known to park forward to leave private space at the rear.

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Retread said:
Airetiquette normally demands that you park so that your door does not face directly onto the door side of your neighbour, for UK vans with their doors on the wrong side this would normally mean that you will be facing the wrong way. It is normal to park the non door side of the van just about on ( but not over) the white line giving room to have drinks etc outside. Those of us with less extreme lengths have been known to park forward to leave private space at the rear.

I quite agree; the problem we were about to be faced with was the MH parking sideways on and staring into our door/window. I'm not sure how he planned to fit into the space in the first place as it is impossible to do so, with a vehicle longer than 5m, without overhanging into another pitch, both of which were occupied... :unsure:

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
DonnaG said:
Retread said:

I quite agree; the problem we were about to be faced with was the MH parking sideways on and staring into our door/window. I'm not sure how he planned to fit into the space in the first place as it is impossible to do so, with a vehicle longer than 5m, without overhanging into another pitch, both of which were occupied... :unsure:
Was the offending MH French by any chance??

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Stereotypes on Aires?
A few years ago, at L'Aiguillon sur Mer, there were very few spaces left, and someone had left chairs out in the only vacant space with a view (a real no-no, you NEVER try to keep your pitch on an Aire).
We commented that it reminded us of the reputation Germans have for putting towels on sunbeds. Not wanting an argument, we slipped into another vacant space.
Sure enough, when the culprits returned their van was proudly displaying its D plates!
My real temptation was just to fold up the chairs and move them aside, so someone else would park there, then watch the fun! But I'm too nice.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Went to a hotel in Majorca many years ago , with my daughter. Lots of Germans there, putting towels on sunbeds, from early morning. One morning a waiter from hotel, threw all the towels in the pool, they did not leave them again!!
So moving the above chairs (tony) would have been a good idea, but as there where other places empty. Ok , BUT if not I would have moved them if it had been the only place.

TRENDING THREADS