Plassey Leisure Park

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi - just booked a week at Plassey Leisure Park near Wrexham. Looking at the web page it appears a very nice site and Sunday - Saturday (15 - 21 April) for only £68. Anybody been to this site? - any feed back would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
hi Colin

I havent been there but have heard it is very nice, we are hoping to go later in the year, sorry i cant be more helpful, perhaps if you go on ukcamp and search on there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin ,We stayed here Easter 2004 booked a super pitch which are great,or would have been if we had got it.Stayed on a grass pitch which was a little 'sunken'which again was fine !!because you can hire wooden pallets, I believe, to keep you above the water level if it rains.Shop sells great icecream Surrounding area is very nice,Chester is good for a visit,great zoo.Remember what the the signs in your localpark says 'keep off the grass' !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have our main holiday booked there, Colin. So an account of it when you get back would be most appreciated. The site came tops in the PC best holiday sites survey last month, so expecting great things. I am interested in the surrounding roads and those on site, we have a large vehicle and have been told it can be tight round some of the bends.

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi colin,

we only live 20 mins from the plassey, but ive been on site and had a look around, its very nice,as no doubt youve seen plenty to do on the site, also not far from LLangollen,Chester,Bala and many more places.

Hope you enjoy your visit there.

regards

mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your replies - the majority of them very favourable. I will report back on the site on my return and let you know how we enjoyed ourselves. We are looking at the site mainly as a base for the surrounding countryside as we are now too old for the "kiss me quick" style of site.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin and Lol

You will not be disappointed with the Plassey. It is about 40 minutes from me so I know the area reasonably well. I also used to live in Chester so can recommend that also. It has the Roman Walls which circle the City and can be walked totally around. There is also the river and many great coffee shops.

Do visit Llangollen. The valley is very beautiful and it has lovely walks along the canal and the river. There is also a steam train and horse-drawn canal boat rides which young children enjoy. If you are feeling brave just outside Llangollen is a pub called The Aqueduct. At the bottom of the hill you can park and walk a short distance to the aqueduct. This is used as part of the canal system and you can walk across it. It is very high but great to say youv'e done it!

Drive up to the Castle remains to an area called 'World's End'. You can join the sheep on many of their walks or have a picnic up there.

The views are great and if you come across a coffee shop called 'Panorama', the food is good.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Colin

Would you be kind enough to have a look at the fishing lakes when you're there,hubby a keen fisherman but cannot walk far

If you could give an idea of how far from pitches or parking and what type of walking surface that would be great

Thanks

Gill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin

Would you be kind enough to have a look at the fishing lakes when you're there,hubby a keen fisherman but cannot walk far

If you could give an idea of how far from pitches or parking and what type of walking surface that would be great

Thanks

Gill
Consider it as a priority Gill - no problems.

Hi Colin ,We stayed here Easter 2004 booked a super pitch which are great,or would have been if we had got it.Stayed on a grass pitch which was a little 'sunken'which again was fine !!because you can hire wooden pallets, I believe, to keep you above the water level if it rains.Shop sells great icecream Surrounding area is very nice,Chester is good for a visit,great zoo.Remember what the the signs in your localpark says 'keep off the grass' !!
Hi Peter,

I'm pleased to report that all 30 Deluxe All Weather pitches were completed by November 2006 - each pitch has a large hardstanding (clay paved for the caravan, golden gravel for the awning area), with electric, water, waste water and lighting services.

These pitches are now very sought after....especially during our usual wet weather around Easter time!

I hope you will visit us again, and please feel free to contact me anytime on my email johnbrookshaw@btconnect.com or on Tel. Number 01978 780 277.

With best wishes,

John Brookshaw Managing Director The Plassey Leisure Park

www.theplassey.co.uk

Thanks to you all for your replies - the majority of them very favourable. I will report back on the site on my return and let you know how we enjoyed ourselves. We are looking at the site mainly as a base for the surrounding countryside as we are now too old for the "kiss me quick" style of site.
Dear Mr Williams,

I am looking forward to your stay with us, and if you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me via email at johnbrookshaw@btconnect.com or Tel. 01978 780 277.

With best wishes, and see you on Sunday 15th April.

John Brookshaw

Managing Director

The Plassey Leisure Park

PS For a great choice of the Deluxe All Weather pitches, if you arrive after 2.00pm, most of the customers would have vacated the pitches by then. Kind regards, John

Colin

Thanks

Gill
Hi Gill,

We have 5 small fishing ponds at The Plassey (free of charge) - these are located on the farmland, and are about a 10 minute walk from the caravan park. As it is farmland, access is my walking only.

There is a mixture of Tench, Roach & Carp....though the better larger fish have been gobbled up by Cormarants.....though we did restock 2 years ago with 600 3 inch long Tench.

If you have any questions, please email me at johnbrookshaw@btconnect.com

All the best,

John Brookshaw

Managing Director

The Plassey Leisure Park

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colin

I work up in this area, and I have also towed the van up this way. The Roads are much better going through Hereford rather going through Newton and up to Wrexham.

I have also visited this site, we intended spending New Year there last year but hubby could not get enough days of work.

Not sure what type of sites you like but you cannot go wrong with this one.

Allyson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Allyson - thanks for your recommendation regarding roads My only problem is passing through Hereford as Lord B. has threatened me with being shot with an arrow fired by one of his trusty hench men - why I do not know as I have done nothing to offend him apart from being Welsh (don't think he likes the Welsh very much).

Regarding types of site my wife and I now enjoy the more quiet sedate site rather than the "kiss me quick" sites. Looking at Plassey Leisure web page and brochure this sight seems to tick all the right boxes for us and is also central for touring around Chester, etc. From the postings above there does not appear anything to worry about - thank God as it will be our first time in north east Wales.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Chester is lovely but unfortunatley that is just inside Lord B country England, might be cheaper to catch the train than to take car and park and ride.

Wrexham is probabley as big as Bridgend town. It was cheaper petrol up there in Tesco than it was down here in South, in February I paid 87.9p Diesel it was 89.9p here in Cardiff.

If I remember right Broughton has a few large outlet shops,but one thing I do know is that those big areoplanes wings are made there for the airbus, now that's something to be proud of, Being Welsh.

Another nice shopping centre outlet like Bridgend M.Glen, but much bigger is the one just outside of Chester, Ellesmere Port, never been there but heard that they have excellant shops.

Also Llangollen is very nice, my mum sang there in the Eisteddfod, many years ago.

Scenary is fab up there, if you can go across the Conway and Llandundno, and down into the Lanberis pass, visit Snowden mountain railway, and porthmadog. We really miss out on some wonderful scenery here in South Wales.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Allyson will try to remember the various points of interest mentioned. I have also been advised to visit the aquaduct at Llangollen and if possible take a canal trip over the aquaduct.

There is one little point I would like to take up though in your answer and that is the beauty of south Wales. I will agree that the general vision of this area is one of mining and heavy industry and being I was born and raised in Port Talbot I know. However now that the coal industry is no more I think that the mining valleys have now in their own way become very pretty. My wife is from Pontycymer and in its heyday there were five colleries working there. Now the tips have been removed and the mountainside grassed over. Within five minutes walk from my mother-in-law's house I am in the countryside with no site of any commercial area - all I can see is farmland. Having lived in this environment for many years I think we generally take the scenery as accepted. Imagine what those living in the high rise inner city tower blocks would think if they were to see life in this area and the close proximity of the countryside and coast. They would think we were living in God's pocket.

As far as Port Talbot is concerned the best part of that area is the M4 out of the town. I would not go back there to live. I worked in Neath for 25 years and passing through Margam the smell from the steel works was enough to put one off the area for life. Incidentally Port Talbot was many years ago classed as a smokeless zone area - one of the first areas in wales to be considered such.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colin

I did not mean to say that there is better senery up North, but I have seen some wondeful sites whilst I have been working up there.

I agree with you about the old mines, since these have gone, although we have lost many jobs my father being one of those who lost his jobs due to pit closure, my husband was one of the lucky ones who got out at an early age after doing his apprentice, the scenery here is fabulous and you cannot believe that we once had so many mines here in South Wales.

In North Wales I have driven through Bleanau Ffestiniog and on a wet day and think how lucky I am today to be born in this generation.

Also I have driven along the coast road A55 on a beautiful sunny day to see right across to Liverpool and the lovely blue water something that we don't have in Newport/Cardiff, I know the sea gets much cleaner when it gets nearer to Swansea and does not get blue South of Newport until you hit England.

Point taken I was knocking South Wales, it was just something I thought I would mention. I thought I saw mountains when I lived in Bleanau Gwent, I never saw mountains until I saw the mountains at the Llanberis pass.

Allyson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I remember many years ago driving through Snowdonia in a snow storm - you mentioned mountains well I had never seen snow ploughs this size - it made the ones in our area look like Dinky toys. It frightened us as we did not know the area, it was night time and we did not have a radio or mobile phone in the rented 15cwt. van in those days. Just about had a heater in it.

South Wales is now a very beautiful area especially west of Port Talbot. I have never been underground but from what my father in law told me it was a very hard but very friendly life. By closing the mines it has destroyed a close knit community. I met my wife when she was twenty one and until I met her she had never been to either Cardiff or Swansea. A normal outing would be to Bridgend and a Sunday school outing to either Barry or Porthcawl. Holidays were a tent on Newton Burrows in Porthcawl for the miners fortnight - hya butt bay as it was known. She was a relief manager for Maypole Stores and as she had married a boy out of the valley many women of the valley would not have her to serve them in the Maypole - she was asked what was wrong with a valley boy that you had to marry outside the valley.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
I think Hya butt has now moved on to Burnham on Sea. LOL

Nothing's changed through some of the mountains in North Wales, you still cannot get a signal.

Even though we go away in our van it is always nice to come back home to Wales.

My daughter who is 16 said on the weekend that, everywhere we have been in the U.K. does not have as much to offer has we have here in South Wales.

Allyson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only trouble coming home to Wales is that as you approach the Severn Bridge the dark rain clouds are looming ahead - it always appears to be raining west of the bridge.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
You forgot that we have to pay to get out of England. LOL

Mod why don'twe have a live chat page?

I think Colin and I, have shown it would be viable.

Allyson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reason for the toll on the Severn bridge is not to get out of England but to come into Wales as we are very selective who enters our fair land. We let the undesirables go back for free rather than keep them here against their will. Also us welsh we can enter England and undertake missionary work and try to educate those peasants.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Always have been a late one and now retired (early retirement not 65) I have a lie in until about 8:30am. Don't have to get up, travel to Neath by 9:00am, stand in front of a class of students until 9:00pm and then drive home - 3 days a week and two days finish at 5:00pm. Great can fully recommend early retirement - I will give anybody a glowing reference if they wish to join the ranks.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colin

I know that I have had a nice glass of red, but you seem to be on your feet in Neath talking to the students for a very long time, 12 hours in fact, is that retirement?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts