PLEASE HELP QUICK

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
About a month ago our caravan was recovered by Green Flag. Unfortunately along the way home 170 miles the cable came out of the socket and dragged on the ground. Cost to replace cable and plug was £104, but GF paid.
So we presume that GF had towed some distance without electrics connected and therefore without any rear lights operating? Still at least they admitted the mistake and paid for the replacement!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
So we presume that GF had towed some distance without electrics connected and therefore without and rear lights operating? Still at least they admitted the mistake and paid for the replacement!
On the two! occasions I've been recovered by Mayday/Green Flag with the caravan, they just tied the 13-pin cable out of the way and used a trailer board tied to the rear grab handles with a cable pinned to the chassis - since they need a lit number plate showing their tow truck they shouldn't be using the caravan's rear lights.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So we presume that GF had towed some distance without electrics connected and therefore without and rear lights operating? Still at least they admitted the mistake and paid for the replacement!
No idea as we were already home, but more than likely as cable as badly worn as even the copper wiring on some wires were worn away. It was an almost brand new recovery vehicle and would have thought it had some sort of warning when something was no longer operational i.e. indicators or brake lights. On the Jeep you get a very loud beeping.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Contacted the dealership regarding the upcoming first 1 year service and to fix the broken 13-pin cable.

Quoted: Service for a Twin axle is coming in at £328, and a cable with labour 1-2 hours and cost £2-300

Is this a high cost for the cable fix, seems expensive 🤔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Contacted the dealership regarding the upcoming first 1 year service and to fix the broken 13-pin cable.

Quoted: Service for a Twin axle is coming in at £328, and a cable with labour 1-2 hours and cost £2-300

Is this a high cost for the cable fix, seems expensive 🤔
Very expensive. Ours was done by AWS technician 3 weeks ago and total cost £104.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
In fact get your van serviced by a local AWS Technician. Be a lot cheaper than main dealers. Even on my brand new van, they asked if I would book my van in for first service. a year in advance. I told them no! and that I would be using AWS man.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
One thing to ask, is it not better like a car to have serviced with the dealer to keep warranty in check?

I have never used AWS before, do they come to you or?

If using an AWS Tech in Scotland, and something crops up regarding warranty, is it not best to have it at the main dealer?

I was thinking the cable fix is expensive, but then I did ask for them to check the ATS etc

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I paid a similar price for a twin axle service from 2018 to 2022 so sounds right in my experience. The light cable is pricey though! When I damaged ours I repaired it myself, soldering each one before using decent quality heat shrink sleeving

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
AWS will service your caravan fully iaw with makers schedule. So it keeps the caravan in warranty. Mine was a mobile technician but also had a large workshop where caravans or motorhomes could be worked on. If a warranty defect is discovered then dealer rectification is normally required.

Look up the details of AWS on their website.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
AWS tech is authorised to service my Swift. He sends the service paperwork to Swift who record it.
They cannot do warranty work if they find anything wrong . You will have to take van in once as against going over evry service. Serviced on my drive. Sit and have a cup of tea and chat about how the van is.
He only lives around the corner from me, 200 yards away. When I booked him for the first time, I Jokingly asked if he needed my Post Code, to find me. His reply was one word and convince me we would get along fine.

He

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Just called our nearest AWS Tech from Inverbervie, who quoted me £226 for a full service.

Asked me what caravan it was and said I’d have no bother with it getting past.

Just looking at the cable to get fixed.. is this something AWS could do or do they just do servicing? Should have asked on the phone..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is this for the cable Dave?

We also need the ATS checked, if this doesn’t come on when cable is replaced I think it would be better with someone more professional
Thats a rather condescending statement as you clearly haven’t read the link about AWS, plus ignored the advice offered by members who have extensive experiences and have used AWS. I sense you are not comfortable using AWS so best stay with the dealership. Of course AWS can do the cable and check ATC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts