Police- stolen caravans

Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
I and many other caravanners would appreciate a policeman( who is also a fellow caravanner) to comment on the total lack of police interest in stolen caravans. On another website there are numerous people who have had caravans stolen and they all mention the total lack of interest by the police have !!! all the police seem interested in is giving a crime number and forgetting about the crime. even when people know details of the theives etc.

Your comments would be of interest to me and other caravanners.

Mark.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I cannot agree that the police show a total lack of interest.

Although I have not had a van stolen, I have had one vandalised while in storage. The police sent a S.O.C officer up to take finger prints and DNA swabs, as yet nobody has been arrested for the crime, but who knows it's early days yet.

Steve W

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Mark, you have discribed perfectly what happened when our van was stolen.From reporting the theft to someone actually taking details of the van took 6 hours.They then told me to claim on my insurance as "you probably wouldn't want it back anyway now that some dirty p*****s been sleeping in it"We now have a new van...and a large loan for the shortfull!...Brian.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Had a phone call today from the police, they have a match for the DNA samples they took, so it looks like they may catch the thieving ratbag.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark G. Not sure if you've had a van stolen and I'm sorry to hear it if you have, but your comments are pretty typical of what appears to be 'modern policing policy'

I,ve not been unlucky enough to have my caravan stolen but I have in the past year had 2 incidents where power tools have been stolen. Once from the garage,

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As I live just outside of Luton in Bedfordshire, I don't think that the local police hve "slow days in the office". They spend a lot of time on the prevention of terrorism and we should all be thankful that they do. I feel that the vandalism done to my van should be very low down the list if it would mean taking officers off of more pressing duties. It is a very hard job to keep everyone happy, I hope that they do the best that they can with the resources they have got.

Steve W

Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
As I live just outside of Luton in Bedfordshire, I don't think that the local police hve "slow days in the office". They spend a lot of time on the prevention of terrorism and we should all be thankful that they do. I feel that the vandalism done to my van should be very low down the list if it would mean taking officers off of more pressing duties. It is a very hard job to keep everyone happy, I hope that they do the best that they can with the resources they have got.

Steve W
Steve ,

The atrocities in London were awful, but theses have only happened recently, so the police were not on these duties prior to the bombings, also the other day I saw 8 police officers manning a speed trap in our village only last week..

No I`m not anti-police, I wanted to be one when I was younger.

Mark G.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Steve ,

The atrocities in London were awful, but theses have only happened recently, so the police were not on these duties prior to the bombings, also the other day I saw 8 police officers manning a speed trap in our village only last week..

No I`m not anti-police, I wanted to be one when I was younger.

Mark G.
Mark as I have never had any dealings with the police before, I can only speak as I find. It would appear that your local police force is not very good in the public relations dept. at the very least. Perhaps you are right to raise this issue on this forum. there must be some serving police officers among the members, maybe they could pass on the disquiet felt by "Caravaners"at the apparent lack of interest shown.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I appreciate all the effort the police have down regarding the terrorist but also see how much time is put into motoring offences too!

I think crime should be dealt with as a priority to speeding motorist who apparently are public enemy number one!.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick update. The police came to get a statement from me today. They know who it was that broke into my caravan,they will arrest him as soon as I get back from my holidays. They don't want to do it before, because if it goes to court and there is no witness,he will be released to appear at a later date.

As the person responsible is one of our charming travelling bretheren, he will no doubt scarper as fast as possible.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark, I am sure that both you and the Police will be disappointed, but perhaps not surprised, with the outcome of the case if it does get to court. It must be disheartening for thr Police to be catching the same people time and time again and for the courts to be lenient. I hope I havn't been unfair to your vandal but the police did have a DNA match.

I will look forward to your update. Best wishes Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark, I am sure that both you and the Police will be disappointed, but perhaps not surprised, with the outcome of the case if it does get to court. It must be disheartening for thr Police to be catching the same people time and time again and for the courts to be lenient. I hope I havn't been unfair to your vandal but the police did have a DNA match.

Sorry about that I meant it to be to Steve of course not Mark.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site

Mark,

A few times a thread similar to yours has been aired and the usual conclusions are

It isn't big city crime or for that matter a big number crime. I.e. incidents. Compared with car theft the incidents per 1000 vehicles owned I guess is small I say guess because there isn't much published by the official bodies i.e. Home office, Chief Police offices association etc.

More importantly where are all these vans going? Because unlike Germany there's no registration or MOT and jugging by the deathly silence no one in the UK what's it that way. When for example a policeman comes up to you at a motorway service area and asks for proof of title/ownership what do you wave ?? a copy of PC

Monkeys Mate

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Mark,

A few times a thread similar to yours has been aired and the usual conclusions are

It isn't big city crime or for that matter a big number crime. I.e. incidents. Compared with car theft the incidents per 1000 vehicles owned I guess is small I say guess because there isn't much published by the official bodies i.e. Home office, Chief Police offices association etc.

More importantly where are all these vans going? Because unlike Germany there's no registration or MOT and jugging by the deathly silence no one in the UK what's it that way. When for example a policeman comes up to you at a motorway service area and asks for proof of title/ownership what do you wave ?? a copy of PC

Monkeys Mate

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark,

I am not a policeman, but I have had a caravan stolen. Not so long ago there was a policeman who contibuted to Practical Caravan. I recall that when someone raised your point with him, his answer was that the police give preference to "preservation of life". Therefore, the theft of a caravan is not considered a"life threatening" issue and as a result receives low priority. brian.f

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts