Politics and Religion

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There is a growing and worrying trend for posts with political views, comments about various religions and rants about welfare benefits etc to be submitted to the Practical Caravan forum.

The clue is in the name.

There is more than likely a Practical Politics forum, I have no idea and can't be bothered to find out.

One thing's for sure, this ain't it!

Please take your politics, social comment, carpet chewing foaming at the mouth newspaper article derivative posts and shove 'em where the sun doesn't shine because we don't want them on here.

Don't imagine that this post has originated from the individual who has caused most of the disruption to the forum recently and is known to masquerade as moderator etc.

It's from one very overworked and completely P****d off forum moderator who is more than ready to delete the next flame topic that appears on this forum no matter who submits it.

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
For a forum which calls itself Non-caravan issues, jokes, trivia and gossip, there are a lot of very heavy issues on here. I've just tried to lighten things up with three non political jokes.

Moral support for Parksey as the moderator - he's got his work cut out anyway with trolls and billy goats gruff - let's ease his load for a bit by keeping things light-hearted.

Hasn't anyone else got any funny stories?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only thing left for us now to discuss is the weather. Sex, politics and religion are now banned topics for discussion. Oh well it is fine and quite mild here today as I write this.

Serious now - if I have stirred the mire here by some of my postings I must apologise. I will be the first to recognise that the mods. here have a hard enough task policing us lot without searching through postings which may cause offence - keep up the good work gentlemen.

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Oops, then let's hope he doesn't have to remove my posts. I didn't mean to cause more work, but they do mention the s word or have a s..ist overtone.

I'll look through my joke book for a weather-related joke.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Oops, then let's hope he doesn't have to remove my posts. I didn't mean to cause more work, but they do mention the s word or have a s..ist overtone.

I'll look through my joke book for a weather-related joke.
And we don't want any stuff about bestiality!!!

Billy goat's gruff indeed!

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I quite agree with our mod, no forum has place for P & R.

Our P & R don't exist amymore now anyway, so why bother!!!!

Sorry parky had to reply.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
" because we don't want them on here ".

Is that a royal " We " or a royal " You "

Moderators Moderate last time I looked it said nothing about "You" deciding what we can talk about. If you look at the number of posts it is obvious that We do discuss these things here. Don't be so sensitive to what others think of each other. It is our choice if we join in a discussion or not. If it gets to hot we just leave the kitchen.

I subscribe to the Magazine to read about Caravans and I have joined the Caravan Club for my need to know technical data. This is chit chat which is not live, like in a chat room we just discuss what's current, and I see no harm in that.

This is not flame baiting it is just in response to the Moderators post.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will confirm and concur the original posting.

For a long time it has been said that certain topics always bring out the worst from some contributers and the PC Forum is not the place for it.

We have tried to let some remain, only to have to delete them as boundaries get oushed past the limit which we, as mods, are allowed to let it go.

It is not always our determination , but that of the owners of the site who ultimately decide what stays and what goes.

Therefore, topics whih have, historically, been known to be the basis of antagonism and end up invariably in personal insults being exchanged WILL be deleted .

Like it or not, call it censorship if you wish.

There are plenty of other forums on the net which cater for that kind of discussion, please feel free to use them, if you are allowed to.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
'Gumbo' wrote

'If it gets to hot we just leave the kitchen. '

If only that were the case. If I remember rightly (and I do) 'Gumbo' you have been invited to leave the kitchen on previous occasions when you used your other name.

I had hoped that a name change might have bought about a change in your behaviour on this forum which is why I had let you carry on despite the information that I was given that you were no longer welcome to use this forum.

I think that you will find 'Gumbo' that the 'We' that I'm referring to are the management at Haymarket Publishing who are contactable via Mr Andrew Goldby,the magazine publishing director who's email address is:

andrew.golby@haymarket.com

The moderators of the forum who are answerable to Victoria Hanson, the brand manager at Haymarket Publishing, Teddington Middlesex TW11 9BE

And last but most importantly of all the overwhelming majority of members of the Practical Caravan forum who I'm sure are as sick as I am of having to have your political stance, moral outrage and petty silly arguments foisted upon us morning noon and night.

Is that enough We' for you 'Gumbo'?

I don't give a monkey's what you talk about but there's a time and a place for everything. I don't decide what you talk about but what I will decide is whether or not I'm going to sit here and deal with the inevitable fallout and damage to this forum that almost always accompanies your discussions on current affairs.

You certainly 'see no harm in that' but I do and I have the emails to prove it!

Which part of 'Jokes, Trivia and Gossip' do posts about benefit fraud, minorities ethnic or otherwise and total miscarriages of justice come under?

I mean what I said and I will not enter into any further argument or discussion on this matter.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
well said Steve,I am surprised sections of this forum arnt closed altogether.If there were pages of this twaddle in P.C.each month nobody would buy it most people are here for the van stuff,mods give enough time to sorting proper stuff not P&R and trolls.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Agree enough of this twaddle, Politics is what the owner of the magazine made his name in after all.I am sure he will remember the mace issue when he didn't agree with the other sides point of view!!!!

I won't retract what I posted as I think it to be correct. So I will call it a day.

Even though I still continue to buy the magazine.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Scuse me Sir ( puts hand up , cowers, averts eyes)

If i wrap it up in caravan talk is that ok Sir?

Maybe

my caravan is 28 feet long and has 4 wheels and I like it.

Bankers are greedy gits

Gordons is a Mor..

and I Have a loverly big Awning.

Would that be ok Sir? (gets clout around the ear from Mod)

Actaully getting a clout around the ear maybe a bit too non P.C., I'll withdraw that bit.

G

We went to a caravan dealers earlier today and they'd laid off two staff we learnt, economy and government blamed. Two couples were looking at new caravans but were moaning about the state of the country and the economy and talking about how their caravanning was suffering due to the "sh 1 t government"

Our friends who we were with were away two weekends ago on a site in Devon. They said that much of the general chat was about money or lack of it, the failing government rising prices and how the country was being ruined in various ways.

Earlier this evening we had dinner in a pub retaurat, general chit chat there included much of the general lines that crop on here along with the BNP story.

How do you exclude what's in the papers, on the tips of tongues and whats effecting people expenditure in general and on their caravanning hobby / interest?

Chit chat, is just that.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Euro Wrote:

'How do you exclude what's in the papers, on the tips of tongues and whats effecting people expenditure in general and on their caravanning hobby / interest?

Chit chat, is just that. '

Obviously one can't exclude everything of that nature Euro.

What I can and will exclude are the threads or topics that cause others to react with anger or sufficient indignation to resort to personal attacks, online feuds and comments which discredit this website through it's forum.

I can and will also exclude topics or threads which exploit this forum and use it as a vehicle to publicise their own political agenda which has nothing whatever to do with caravans.

I can and will exclude topics which provoke complaints and adverse comments about this forum on other caravan forums from those members who want to use a caravan forum rather than a political soap box.

This forum has been dragged back from the abyss and it will not be allowed to return to the previous state where those in search of caravan related information deserted this forum in droves because of the actions of a minority.

I have replied on this thread to clarify the situation.

If any further clarification is needed kindly contact the owners and hosts of this forum at Haymarket Publishing.

I have provided an email address for that purpose.

andrew.golby@haymarket.com

G

I would have started by saying "Bravo, Parksy" but would have sounded to much like brown noising.

So will instead say, thank you for the warning, there's still plenty of stuff for debating, ...like the world of Caravan.

Who would have thought that......LOL

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well Steve

Not much more one can say to that.

Very concise and eloquent though, well done.

What's really wrong here is the antiquated systems foisted upon us by Lord Hezza who clearly funded his entire political life from publications such as PC mag . Hence whilst I am sure most will support the Mods direction, I do wonder what we can chit chat about without being politcally incorrect? That was a rhetorical question, don't answer.

Have a good weekend .

Cheers

Dustydog

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
On another caravan related forum I contribute to the following are the most recent topics in the 'Chit Chat' section:

Where are you going at half-term?

Advice on Idiots Guide for Windows users

New Graphic - mention of the new website graphic showing the clocks going back

Please light a candle - a discussion about lighting a candle in memory of babies who died in early infancy

Teenagers

Am I being unreasonable? - complaint about troublesome neighbours

True Blood - discussion about vampire TV programmes

Border Terriers - discussion about dogs

No holiday for us...... due to illness etc.,

Stanley is home!! - new boxer puppy

Stoopid or what? - discussion about stolen mobile phones

Dog friendly beaches (Torbay)

Finally - car insurance discussion

Hardly a controversial topic between them. Even the one which might at first appear controversial, on teenagers is not about marauding gangs of drugged up hoodies and sink estates - but about a mother's relationship to her teenage son, and her reactions to suddenly finding him having to shop in the man's department.

The other 'Dog friendly beaches' also doesn't attract comment about dog-fouling just friendly discussion about dog-friendly beaches, and which campsites are near such beaches - and then where to go from the campsites.

There just doesn't seem to be the 'political' overtone to topics and discussions on that forum. I don't think the moderator has such a hard time keeping things under control, either - you very rarely see him having to intervene.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the main point here is that which was made by Parksy (on numerous occasions) - this is principally a 'caravan related forum'. Yes, it does have the facility to discuss 'non caravan issues' BUT this surely has to be read/responded to in the context of the forum overall.

I have been guilty of 'biting' i.e. being 'wound up' by some of the issues 'debated' on the forum recently - and I regret doing so. I have my own principles, sometimes they might conflict with others BUT, we are talking here about a 'box on wheels' which gives 99% of forum contributors a huge amount of pleasure.

The 'regret' that I have is being drawn into the 'politics' which Parksy has referred to - not the right vehicle, not the purpose of this forum, and in my own case 'not necessarily the definitive view'

Sometimes (in my case many times with my latest 'box') there are frustrations which cause me to 'rant and rave' about build quality and such like. This is what the forum is about.

I have noticed that since Parksy has challenged some expressed views that the forum has become unusually quiet on general caravanning issues - if this is because people who 'just want to talk about caravans' and issues which can be sensibly linked to them have been 'frightened off' , then this is surely a bitter disappointment to all of us.

If Haymarket decide that this forum is too 'risky' to continue then they may well 'pull the plug' - if they do, I for one will perfectly understand the rationale.

The Moderators do a fantastic job - but it must be a real pain for them to do so. Their role must surely be limited to deleting inappropriate language, issues that expose the forum to libel etc and NOT to adjudicating on issues which, by any standards, belong to forums dedicated to political and social comment.

For goodness sake - get a grip!

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi. The reason I use this website is because I,m interested in caravans, I,m also a member of several motorcycle forums because guess what I,m interested in motorbikes.I,m not interested in discussing the BNP,Cheryl Cole singing live or the price of a pint of milk but if you feel the need to discuss any none-caravan related topics try to keep it light hearted and just look upon the Chit-Chat section as light entertainment.If you feel like the red mist is coming just have a nice glass of wine(or whatever rocks your boat) and chillout or you,ll fallout with someone you don,t really know.Have a nice evening everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts