Portsmouth ferry port to the port of Bilbao

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi All!

Over the past few months my posts have been more about advice and getting ready to tow a caravan from Spain to the UK, as the trip gets closer my attention seems to be going more towards the ferry ports them self's. So my question is, has anyone done this trip? Is there anything to be aware of and is it as straight forward as driving on one way and off another end.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
It's a ferry, it goes from one port to another port!
You drive on one end and off at the other its just that it takes a while longer, so you need a cabin to sleep in.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We did Portsmouth to Santander on the Brittany economy ferry. Had a basic cabin. It’s a RORO ferry no different to going Dover Calais or any other crossing.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello Caravan newbie.
Although I haven't travelled to or from Bilbao I have crossed to France from Dover, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Poole across to Calais, Caen, St. Marlo, Cherbourg and Roscoff many times. It's piece of cake both sides of the channel. Back in the days of trailer tenting we were crammed on the car deck which was often really tight. With a caravan in tow, you will be in with the HGV's and larger vehicles where there is a lot more space and yes, you will drive on and off. It really is a very slick operation. I'm off to France in a couple of weeks sailing from Poole to Cherbourg. My ferry sails at 08:30 but, rather than rush down in the early hours, I plan to arrive at the ferry port at around 22:00 the previous evening, drop the legs on my caravan and sleep overnight there. There is an overnight fee of £5 for this at Poole. I'll get up at around 06:30, have some breakfast and be ready to move into the embarkation line at around 07:45. It's completely stress-free.
Hopefully, someone here can give specific details about what to expect at Bilbao.
Oh, and if your car is fitted with an alarm that detects movement remember to disable it before you leave the vehicle deck as you won't be able to return later to turn it off.

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello Caravan newbie.
Although I haven't travelled to or from Bilbao I have crossed to France from Dover, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Poole across to Calais, Caen, St. Marlo, Cherbourg and Roscoff many times. It's piece of cake both sides of the channel. Back in the days of trailer tenting we were crammed on the car deck which was often really tight. With a caravan in tow, you will be in with the HGV's and larger vehicles where there is a lot more space and yes, you will drive on and off. It really is a very slick operation. I'm off to France in a couple of weeks sailing from Poole to Cherbourg. My ferry sails at 08:30 but, rather than rush down in the early hours, I plan to arrive at the ferry port at around 22:00 the previous evening, drop the legs on my caravan and sleep overnight there. There is an overnight fee of £5 for this at Poole. I'll get up at around 06:30, have some breakfast and be ready to move into the embarkation line at around 07:45. It's completely stress-free.
Hopefully, someone here can give specific details about what to expect at Bilbao.
Oh, and if your car is fitted with an alarm that detects movement remember to disable it before you leave the vehicle deck as you won't be able to return later to turn it off.
No, I appreciate your response, regardless if it's the same destination or not. And it gives some thought. Oh what we should do travelling back with the caravan at the end of our stay, arrive at the port late, pay the fee to sleep there ready for the ferry back at 13.00 hours.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At Santander we stayed local overnight coming back, then joined the ferry queue in good time for the checks and embarkation. Dont know if Bilbao have an overnight arrivals area.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have done the Portsmouth - Santander route return. We stayed about an hour away from the port the night before so a leisurely drive to the port in the morning after breakfast.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Me an Er did Portsmouth to Bilbao in end of June. Portsmouth ferry terminal far better than Plymouth as you don’t have to drive across town to get to it. Two nights on board so take a book. Nice cruise really, decent food, comfortable cabin and you arrive at around 08:00 in the morning after a good breakfast ready for the day. Bilbao port is a bit weird in its road layout but no problem and the border control pretty easy, sunglasses off, smile at the nice policemen and give them your passport and you’re through. No checks or searches.
Now the fun begins….. the ring road around Bilbao is hell during rush hour and road works increase the pain. It’s four lanes of jammed traffic. Just get in your correct lane and chill. Nothing else for it. Once clear of this then the drive to the French border is very scenic and the roads good. Take your time and enjoy the trip. One thing I would say is that personally I would not think about trying it without a decent sat nav. Spanish/French road signs are unreadable unless you speak the language and have local knowledge especially if you’re towing and lane conscious.
As I say once clear of towns the roads are very superior to anything in the Uk and far less crowded. Set the cruise control to your preference and enjoy.
Regards
R

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Caravan newbie
I have sent you a private message with some information you mind find financially beneficial in regards to your upcoming ferry trip (y),

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Caravan newbie
I have sent you a private message with some information you mind find financially beneficial in regards to your upcoming ferry trip (y),
Aah the old discount code. I think you used to get 10% off using someone else's code, but not sure what it is today?

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used both Portsmouth and Plymouth and there is nothing between them as far as landing and getting away is concerned. In Spain we have used Santander and that is simplicity itself.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have used both Portsmouth and Plymouth and there is nothing between them as far as landing and getting away is concerned. In Spain we have used Santander and that is simplicity itself.
If possible in future we would try and avoid using the Plymouth - Santander route. It is a hassle driving through Plymouth and signs can be a bit vague. Biggest drawback on returning was the arrival time and finding a site where we could stay over night.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If possible in future we would try and avoid using the Plymouth - Santander route. It is a hassle driving through Plymouth and sings can be a bit vague. Biggest drawback on returning was the arrival time and finding a site where we could stay over night.

I assume tgats a typo and you meant Portsmouth to Santander?

The Plymouth route is a fair bit cheaper than Portsmouth, and quicker by about 10 hours so only a single night onboard in either direction.
Getting out of Plymouth city is admittedly a bit of a pain compared to Portsmouth which is utterly simple, 30 seconds from the dockyard gates and you are on the motorway.

Just a word to the wise for anybody using the Pont Aven, some of their two berth cabins are miniscule. We got stuffed and I do mean stuffed :eek: :eek: into cabin 6105
which is without doubt  the smallest on the ship, its up in the bow and the hull taper really affects the size!

The ones to avoid are, 6109, 6107 and 6105, but especially 6105

When you book your crossing your cabin number is shown on your booking form. Apparently the cabins are allocated at random by computer, but if you telephone BF customer service they will change the allocation. I discovered all of that after my complaint about getting the smallest cabin possible having booked at the very first opportunity more than 12 months in advance.

I got the cost of the cabin credited to my account, but my god the cabin really was like a broom cupboard.

You have been warned! :fearscream:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts