Portsmouth ferry port

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Gents, I will soon be heading for Brittany ferries in Portsmouth coming south along the A34 and subsequently to the M3. Now I always like to fill up before boarding but unless I’m mistaken there doesn’t seem to be a caravan friendly service station close to the harbour. I think the last feasible station is on the A34. Am I correct or does anyone know different?
My best regards
R

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
If you continue down the A34 to the last roundabout where you meet the M3, there's a Tesco filling station just off the roundabout at the start of the trading estate. It's a big one with an easy entrance. Keep over to the right-hand side and you'll have a straight drive out. You'll have another 30 miles to do before reaching the ferry port.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally, i would either

Come off the M27 at Paulsgrove and fill up at Tescos

Or, and what i would do

Stay on the M27 instead of turning left on the M275. and the road becomes the A27. If you take the next exit and turn left onto the Eastern road, there is a Shell petrol station there. You can then rejoin the A27 westbound and turn off onto the M275

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I'm case you are not aware there are zero facilities at Portsmouth ferry port. Just a slot machine that delivers a brown liquid loosely referred to as "coffee" I can think of another, much shorter word!
There are however toilets.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Toilets is good. We are always armed with a loaded flask and a couple of sarnies when we travel. Too long in the tooth to expect anything decent on the road.
Thanks
R

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Can anyone confirm what typical diesel prices are currently in France, I filled up locally a couple of days ago for 131.9p per litre , I realise this isn’t representative of the UK price nationally, prices do seem to be dropping slowly in the UK.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I must admit I prefer to pay the extra and fill up in England even if it costs more than the French side so that when we arrive in France, we can drive straight to our destination. :D
Do drivers still claim that French diesel gives better mpg than UK diesel? Both meet the EN590 standard for diesel but they are refined slightly differently?

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I like to start off on foreign roads with a full tank. I find it helps me settle in to driving without the added hassle of finding a filling station. We are doing the Grand Tour from Bilbao to St Malo stopping at five sites on the way up. The coast near Bordeaux being the first stop.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I like to start off on foreign roads with a full tank. I find it helps me settle in to driving without the added hassle of finding a filling station. We are doing the Grand Tour from Bilbao to St Malo stopping at five sites on the way up. The coast near Bordeaux being the first stop.
Range anxiety can also applies to drivers of ICE vehicles. :LOL:

Do drivers still claim that French diesel gives better mpg than UK diesel? Both meet the EN590 standard for diesel but they are refined slightly differently?
First time I have heard of that as with a diesel I doubt it would make any difference?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No not range anxiety but as we all know using a filling station is always more interesting with the ’van on the back rather then just a solo car
Once Google Earth and Google Street View had be made available on the internet, all my refueling anxiety disappeared - I pre-plan all fuel stops with the caravan on - although with a 400 mile towing range I don't need to refuel very often.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I'm case you are not aware there are zero facilities at Portsmouth ferry port.

Over in the main terminal building, there's a ground floor shop selling books and newspapers, gifts and snacks and upstairs there's a café, selling hot food and drinks with I believe an alcohol licence. Toilets are available on both floors - if memory serves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Over in the main terminal building, there's a ground floor shop selling books and newspapers, gifts and snacks and upstairs there's a café, selling hot food and drinks with I believe an alcohol licence. Toilets are available on both floors - if memory serves.
Thank you for that update as the terminal amenities and cafe are useful as we like to get to Portsmouth in good time for the morning ferry to Caen so it’s an early start from home. Our next trip on that route is early September.

For info the port had a good website and the link covers amenities available. Even a defibrillator 🙈

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts