Post-Break Rigmarole

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi all, we’ve just been on our first family trip (second if you count one 6+ years ago) in our newly acquired caravan, had a great week and all went well - which was great.

I was just wondering, what tips do you have for things you do after arriving home? Since we’ve never properly done it before, what sort of things do we need to remember to do so the next trip is also a success? Would love to know what your post-holiday routines are so I can convince myself I’m a pro!

Thanks!!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Clean the van thoroughly, especially the fridge - leave door ajar.

Clean the toilet systems.

Check under beds and everywhere else for dropped debrisfood.

Keep battery topped up.

Switch off every device that draws power.

One hundred more suggestions are expected to follow :)

Good question to post crosswind, most ask what to do in advance of an outing.

B)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
All that Anseo says, double check for eggs Potatoes, etc, Depending on when you expect to get out next, drain the water, I used to put damp traps, but have stopped doing it. If you have a good airflow through the van no real need, In My Opinion. . Just try and get out again as soon as you can, winter touring is great.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As well as the things involving cleanliness and the removal of foodstuffs already mentioned, we leave the fridge door ajar, drain the water system and close the curtains (not the blinds because over time the springs weaken).
If we're not due to use the caravan for some time I leave a couple of windows on night latch to aid air circulation and to reduce the chances of damp or condensation.
Last job is to put the wheel and hitch clamps on and arm the alarm system.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As well as the things involving cleanliness and the removal of foodstuffs already mentioned, we leave the fridge door ajar, drain the water system and close the curtains (not the blinds because over time the springs weaken).
If we're not due to use the caravan for some time I leave a couple of windows on night latch to aid air circulation and to reduce the chances of damp or condensation.
Last job is to put the wheel and hitch clamps on and arm the alarm system.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
As well as all the other excellent suggestions, my first job on returning home, after parking the van and putting the "steadies" down, checking that she has a good nose up/down attitude (to shed rain water easily etc) is to empty the cassette toilet....

We use the toilet on the journey home and despite the most excellent Mr Elsan's blue fluid it's better to empty it on returning rather than leaving it a month or two!
As always, Regards to all and of course
Happy Caravanning
paws

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Check that you haven't left fish fingers in the freeze box of the fridge. :sick: :sick: :sick: We have never done that. :whistle: :whistle:
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Empty car and van immediately on return and put the stuff away otherwise it lays around for days/weeks. Also we always open up the awning indoors to ensure it is thoroughly dry before packing it away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pretty good advice so far, but it depends a bit on where you keep your caravan.
We are fortunate to be able to keep ours in our own driveway, tucked in along side the garage and with EHU available. It's always great to come home to rural Somerset and - being retired we have no great time pressures. So home mid afternoon, park up van with the movers, connect electrics, steadies down etc. Put out Aquaroll or fill on board tank, bucket for waste water, stay in van for meal while one goes into house to start up heating etc. then early night in the caravan with leisurely get up next morning.
We usually go back into the house about 3 nights after getting home, all nice and relaxed.
Then move food, clothes, toiletries etc back into house at leisure, clean fridge, dump loo,r deal with anything up to 3 months mail, inspect the garden and shudder how much the grass has grown. If the return is in Spring, then the van gets emptied and cleaned before annual service. If return is Autumn then whatever can be left in is left in as it will only be a couple of months before it's off to Spain.

I appreciate this may not be what those of you still working want to hear, but I thought I should offer some prospects of a less hurried time when you retire!

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
These are great replies! Thanks to everyone. This is pretty much what we did (except the staying in the caravan for 3 more days haha). Got home, moved the caravan into place on the drive, levelled and steadies, and then started emptying everything spoilable (is that a word?), followed by stripping the bedding for washing.

I emptied the cassette toilet on site and it wasn’t needed on the way home since we stayed nearby as it was the first trip.. all I’ve done is empty it though, is there something else which should be done? Recharge the blue for instance?

We got home on Friday so today I’m going to get around to cleaning out the grey water container.. probably best not to have that smelling..?

We don’t have EHU near the caravan but can run a cable when needed.. I’ll keep an eye on the in-van voltmeter (I know it’s probably not precise) if I see how long it takes to read 11V and then plug in, d’you think that’ll be ok? Or too often, or not enough?

Thanks again!

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
:woohoo: x
Mel said:
Check that you haven't left fish fingers in the freeze box of the fridge. :sick: :sick: :sick: We have never done that. :whistle: :whistle:
mel

Kippers and chicken breasts left in the freezer compartment. Obviously we have never done this honest. Oh my Gawd the smell.

Actually the difficult thing is to remove the accumulation of stuff you buy when you are away. I once took out about 7 large cans on beans because, Mrs Boff was buying them in packs of 4 opening one tin then next time she wanted beans again, I can’t stand them, buying another 4 tins. Another example we have one of those collapsible shopping basket. In the our last van this fitted behind the wheel and surplus booze went into it. When we changed vans I tried to lift it out and thought it was heavy so I weighed it 17 kg in a shopping basket. It is easy for things to creep up on you or maybe it’s just us?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I always give the toilet another rinse out when I get home, just to make sure, using a dash of washing up liquid.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would not close the curtains or blinds if you have emptied the caravan, so any potential thief can see there is nothing there to steal. Also leave cupboards open to show that they are empty.
I would drain the water on site so that any remaining drops come out on the road and you do not pay to tow water you will then drain. Do not have the heater full of hot water if on grass though as that might kill it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
mel

I can top that by some way. A few years back, setting off for Cornwall for a month, wifey, who normally does the final checks on the house, doors lights switches etc was faffing around more than usual and me being impatient and wanting to beat the school specials at the end of our narrow road, you know the school specials, will drive 100 yds to drop their kids off. So, beginning to get frustrated with madam faffalot I went round the switches myself.

On our return home, the shock was immense. Some idiot had turned off both freezers and the stench of rotten meat was enough to floor you. That was the day I learned madam faffalot knows best. As we had no meat left to eat, humblie pie was on the menu for the next four years or so, and it still gets mentioned even now and then. Every time I try to rush her along a bit, that incident is used like a weapon.

The moral of this tale is that the post trip rigmarole is not the whole story, the pre-trip rigmarole is just as important.

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
I would not close the curtains or blinds if you have emptied the caravan, so any potential thief can see there is nothing there to steal. Also leave cupboards open to show that they are empty.

These are some good points re the curtains. With the overhead cupboards though, I’ve never left cupboards like this open before, will it not strain the mechanism, much like keeping the blinds rolled down would harm the springs?

While we’re on this spring subject, there’s a couple in our caravan which I guess the previous owner left closed as they don’t retract brilliantly, will these (even slightly) fix themselves if left open or am I to expect them to stay like this now? It’s not too annoying as it’s only the door blind and one other, so probably won’t be looking to sort if they won’t rectify themselves.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
There are opposing theories on the blinds. There are tales of windows overheating and blowing with the heat when the blinds are closed. Others will say this is pure fantasy. Yet others will say close the blinds to stop your upholstery from fading. We actually turn our uholstery over so the scruffy side is the only one that can fade. I do accept this theory as there are definite signs of fade on our latest caravan.

During winter when the frosts are about, we open our cupboards to allow circulation. Last year, we put the heating on in the van to air things and got the shock of our lives at the amount of condensation that had formed in the cupboards. So yes, we open them when the weather gets iffy.

Dependant on the type of blinds you have, the ealier roller type ones can be retentioned. Simply google the term and the web will throw back a myriad of videos and "how tos"

On the later blinds, a bit of furniture polish on the runners can ease things and make sure the end of the blind hasnt jumped the little ridge in the centre of the runner. This can make the blinds feel incredibly tight.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
The only other thing not specifically mentioned is to empty the bin (the one in the door)!!! We left ours by accident for a few days this summer, yikes it wasn't nice!!!

Just like Thingy, I also set the heating on to 5 degrees overnight in the winter to avoid any nasty frost problems. I also leave all cupboards open in the winter to let air circulate. And bring in all bedding over the winter too!

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
We actually turn our uholstery over so the scruffy side is the only one that can fade.

D’you know what? I hadn’t even thought of that.. brilliant suggestion! Thank you!
[br]
Thingy said:
Dependant on the type of blinds you have, the ealier roller type ones can be retentioned. Simply google the term and the web will throw back a myriad of videos and "how tos"

Yes, it’s the roller blind style, so I shall be googling that tomorrow!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " will these (even slightly) fix themselves if left open or am I to expect them to stay like this now?"

No they will not fix themselves !!
What is needed is for the springs to be re tensioned which is a simple job.
I will try and find a video,if there is one on line.

Edit: Had a look but nothing suitable in video form but there is a series of pictures which should give you the idea:
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/31982-how-to-re-tension-caravan-roller-blinds-and-flyscreens

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " will these (even slightly) fix themselves if left open or am I to expect them to stay like this now?"

No they will not fix themselves !!

[...]

Had a look but nothing suitable in video form but there is a series of pictures which should give you the idea:
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/31982-how-to-re-tension-caravan-roller-blinds-and-flyscreens

Hehe, sorry for being so naive.. If you leave a curved piece of card on a flat surface, it will eventually flatten again.. never tried it with blinds. But, great link and really showed me what to look for so thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
thosoneill said:
I open the bed lockers and all cupboards to let air circulate - I also pull the upholstery away from the walls to aid air circulation

With you all the way, and fridge and freezer compartment open, also Microwave door open.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts