Preferred method of levelling your caravan.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Some people obviously don't mind living on a floor which is off-level. See the angle of the motor van in my picture! For me, it would drive me crackers. I need the floor level. My practice is to reverse onto the pitch, quickly check for level across the axle on the drawer unit just inside the caravan door, then if one side requires lifting, place a yellow ramp behind the wheel and reverse up the ramp. Place a block to the front of the wheel and I unhitch the van. Fore and aft level is done on the jockey wheel using a level against a moulding strip on the van.

20210624_131517.png

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Been using the same pair of yellow ramps with accompanying chocks for around 25 years and they're still as good as new. Also no worries about getting a puncture when using on gravel

I've taken a serious look at the Lock n' Level and whilst I agree it looks easier to line up the Alko locks using them but I just cannot justify paying all that money to replace something that has served us well for so many years.

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Goodness, forum members helping each other, nice isn't it. 👌

We use decking board on our twin axle just cut the length you need and put an angle cut one end and a block of wood on top the other end stops you rolling off should get enough lengths out of one piece to raise you up enough .

Martin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a single axle and have been using 1 or 2 yellow ramps and chocks for as long as I can remember but, for the past 5 years when the slope, occasionally, is too much for them, I use Lock n' Level.

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Well thanks to Hutch’s kind offer I now have a Milenco Aluminium levelling system as well as my collection of planks, , I will give it a try very soon and report back how I got on. I just thought it would be better/ easier than trying to reverse up a damp grass slope and up a levelling ramp.

Reactions: Hutch

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for everyones input,
Now I have have a Milenco aluminium levelling jack thanks to Hutch and I have used it I now know although it is very easy to set up its a bit of a workout actually raising the caravan, I had to lift to almost maximum height and it created a bit of a sweat on my brow😂. I am going to try a fairly high powered cordless drill on a slow speed to see if the drill will be powerful enough to raise the caravan if not I may use a longer bar ratchet on appropriate socket see how that goes. For me on the pitch I was on the Milenco levelling jack the right bit of kit for that job, on other pitches not sloping in all directions a few planks of wood will do.
thanks all

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for everyones input,
Now I have have a Milenco aluminium levelling jack thanks to Hutch and I have used it I now know although it is very easy to set up its a bit of a workout actually raising the caravan, I had to lift to almost maximum height and it created a bit of a sweat on my brow😂. I am going to try a fairly high powered cordless drill on a slow speed to see if the drill will be powerful enough to raise the caravan if not I may use a longer bar ratchet on appropriate socket see how that goes. For me on the pitch I was on the Milenco levelling jack the right bit of kit for that job, on other pitches not sloping in all directions a few planks of wood will do.
thanks all
Glad it helped you, I did say it would help with your arm Muscles, How did your son get on with the Mattress. Hope you all had a good time.

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Glad it helped you, I did say it would help with your arm Muscles, How did your son get on with the Mattress. Hope you all had a good time.
the Mattress worked Out well good fit and comfortable. He has/was going to send you a text to thank you agin, not sure if it got sent, I know he has been flat out with work not had a day off since the break. joys of running your own small company? Thanks Jeff

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
the Mattress worked Out well good fit and comfortable. He has/was going to send you a text to thank you agin, not sure if it got sent, I know he has been flat out with work not had a day off since the break. joys of running your own small company? Thanks Jeff
No need for a thanks, just glad it worked out well, and keep taking the spinach Popeye,. 😂 Have to arrange for a beer in the Rose and Crown , Ridgemont sometime.

Reactions: JB1
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I trust that anyone reading this will have checked their spirit level both fore/aft and side/side on both a work surface <and> the floor close to the axle? In my case the work surface was just about right side/side but nearly half a bubble different from the floor fore/aft. Its not difficult to tell which is right - a sideways tilt no matter how small is quite easily detected by the human brain - assuming of course you are sober at the time! ;)

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I trust that anyone reading this will have checked their spirit level both fore/aft and side/side on both a work surface <and> the floor close to the axle? In my case the work surface was just about right side/side but nearly half a bubble different from the floor fore/aft. Its not difficult to tell which is right - a sideways tilt no matter how small is quite easily detected by the human brain - assuming of course you are sober at the time! ;)
I always used external features when levelling the caravan as you say internal fitments can be “ off”.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I " Level" our caravan, to suit Mrs H, and to make sure the shower drains correctly, which means a slightly nose down and to the left a bit, which corresponds to being quite accurate with the spirit level next to the sink area,
Normally the next day I have to adjust it again after everything settles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have not used a spirit level for several months and the caravan is always perfectly level! :D

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
I have not used a spirit level for several months and the caravan is always perfectly level! :D

Some years back mrs slowtow bought me a toy model car / caravan that sits on our front cabinet that she uses to see if everything is level. If the little car with caravan attached rolls off the edge theres something wrong for me to investigate.it doesnt cause many arguments....much😁

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Some years back mrs slowtow bought me a toy model car / caravan that sits on our front cabinet that she uses to see if everything is level. If the little car with caravan attached rolls off the edge theres something wrong for me to investigate.it doesnt cause many arguments....much😁
And then you find there is a matchstick under the wheels.😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts