Price of sites

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The 250% figure being quoted by the usual gutter press operators is intended to be a headline grabber. The figure is a spot price increase in Wholesale gas price. Retail prices increases are capped at 12%. As I said, gutter press - alarming headline figure. Going back to the thread OP, this isn't a valid reason for campsites to have increased their prices this year to date.
I was referring to the cost of electric increasing by 50% and not gas as I don't think any sites supply wholesale gas to the public as ther is no knock on effect. They only sell bottles of gas. However most do supply "free" electric to customers using their facilities.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was referring to the cost of electric increasing by 50% and not gas as I don't think any sites supply wholesale gas to the public as ther is no knock on effect. They only sell bottles of gas. However most do supply "free" electric to customers using their facilities.
Site operating costs will however increase if open over winter as most use gas to heat the facilities and supply hot water. But much will depend on their supply contracts.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are also with Octopus but our plan runs out in a few days. The new quote is far higher than the present figure but if you check what is available elsewhere it is near enough the same. Tis is going to be an expensive winter for some. We can stand the increase but I think a lot of people will struggle and run up big debts or just freeze unless something is done, Have agreed a new plan, but will keep an eye on prices as we go along as you can exit their plans with no fees.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are also with Octopus but our plan runs out in a few days. The new quote is far higher than the present figure but if you check what is available elsewhere it is near enough the same. Tis is going to be an expensive winter for some. We can stand the increase but I think a lot of people will struggle and run up big debts or just freeze unless something is done, Have agreed a new plan, but will keep an eye on prices as we go along as you can exit their plans with no fees.
I found whenever I looked at what I call "proper" suppliers that over period their prices are quite similar. BG often gets bad press when it increases prices, then the other sneak in behind under cover of darkness.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
There’s nothing to compare. My post #20 was just a reply to the post quoted and I was pointing out that wholesale prices have gone up by 250% since January 2021. I made no mention of energy prices on sites now or in the future. So I’m of the view that what will be will be. My domestic energy is capped until April 2023 on a contract I took out earlier this year with British Gas. So hopefully by then some normality will have returned to the global markets.
We seem to be labouring an irrelevant point. Site prices 2021 is the subject of the thread, and i was pointing out that energy prices of the future does not affect site prices of now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We seem to be labouring an irrelevant point. Site prices 2021 is the subject of the thread, and i was pointing out that energy prices of the future does not affect site prices of now.
Agreed as my OP was solely about site prices for a grass only pitch in September, albeit CCC Moreton could only offer grass inc electric. That may have confused some.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Agreed as my OP was solely about site prices for a grass only pitch in September, albeit CCC Moreton could only offer grass inc electric. That may have confused some.
I've deleted the latest comment which wasn't relevant, and I trust that further comments will stay on topic.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When I was working in utilities, a straight forward normal site would have a 3 phase supply. These sites normally opted for a 3 year contract. Sites with statics normally had HH supply and most of them were on a year contract. Generally the cost of a Kw unit to a site was slightly lower than the cost to a domestic premise due to their higher consumption.
Using a meter site recently with air con running mostly on fan only, fridge on gas and heating switched off during day we averaged about 10kw a day or approximately £1.60 a day. Obviously in the winter period this would probably jump up to about £3 a day before the increase. I would expect sites to add at least an additional £2 or more per night to keep the same profit margin. I can see the CC & C&CC imposing higher charges in the future.
BTW just to add that although either club have 100 or more sites the sites will all be with different suppliers with contracts ending at a different time which make sit more interesting.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
As a site owner, with a Business Electricity account (and having to charge VAT) I have had to both fit meters and raise prices a little this year in order to remain profitable and viable.
Hope you don't mind me asking this. As a business electricity account, what do you pay per kWh for electricity?

Hope you don't mind me asking this. As a business electricity account, what do you pay per kWh for electricity?
Our current contract means I have to recharge @22p per unit. However, the contract ends in June and it will be going up. I cannot work out the new charge yet because although I know the new Unit rate there are other charges (climate levy / VAT etc.) that come into the equation. If you run a site and need to renegotiate then a firm called Purchasing for Parks will offer a review of Business Utilities as well as other relevant group-buying discounts.

Reactions: Darren.H and Ern
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Our two weeks work out at £26.45 per night for all services inc. But for me it is great as no longer have to lug my fishing gear around, the lake is according to your pitch place is around 20 m and my wife just comes over now and again with drinks etc and come midday I leave all my gear there within view.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Interesting re price of electric.

Currently we are in Cornwall, tonight the outside temp was -1 so the Alde heating has been chugging away on and off.
This Saturday we move to a different site with metered electric so its going to be interesting to see how much electric we use.
Expect a thread!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting re price of electric.

Currently we are in Cornwall, tonight the outside temp was -1 so the Alde heating has been chugging away on and off.
This Saturday we move to a different site with metered electric so its going to be interesting to see how much electric we use.
Expect a thread!

When on a metered site we switch the fridge to gas. We use electric to heat up the caravan and then alternate between electric and gas. When out and about we switch to electric and also turn the temperature down to about 17C.
We also switch off the hot water heating during the day as you can do this with the ALDE system. To run heating on gas full time you will use a lot of gas.
We also have a 7.5kg Safefill refillable gas bottle so to refill costs less than £10.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
When on a metered site we switch the fridge to gas. We use electric to heat up the caravan and then alternate between electric and gas. When out and about we switch to electric and also turn the temperature down to about 17C.
We also switch off the hot water heating during the day as you can do this with the ALDE system. To run heating on gas full time you will use a lot of gas.
We also have a 7.5kg Safefill refillable gas bottle so to refill costs less than £10.
Interesting about hot water as I was thinking about turning it off, as this time of year a by product of heating would be hot water anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting about hot water as I was thinking about turning it off, as this time of year a by product of heating would be hot water anyway.

Also fit covers over the fridge vents as this may help the fridge work more efficiently and use less gas. BTW do you have the ALDE system fitted as don't want to give the incorrect advice?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The cost of metered electric, per kwh, is probably less than the cost per kwh of LPG. A 6kg propane cylinder will give about 84 kwh.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The cost of metered electric, per kwh, is probably less than the cost per kwh of LPG. A 6kg propane cylinder will give about 84 kwh.
I think cost per kwh has now increased by 45% so gas may be cheaper at £0.70p per litre if you have a 7.5kg Safefill. Also another rise in cost of kwh is expected in April.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think cost per kwh is now close to 45p so gas may be cheaper at £0.70p per litre if you have a 7.5kg Safefill. Also another rise in cost of kwh is expected in April.
The domestic cost of electric is capped just over 20p per kwh - where do you get 45 p from

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The domestic cost of electric is capped just over 20p per kwh - where do you get 45 p from
My mistake as I should have put 45% and not pence. Just checked and ours increased from 12p to 18p in Oct. A site will be paying more per kwh as per another thread.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
(Edit - -22nd Jan) Please note. I have spotted an error in this post and I will be correcting it in a new post.

Its an interesting question, is it more economic to run a fridge on gas or electric.

Obviously it depends on how much you pay for either gas or electric, so to be able to make a reasonable comparison you need to look at the quantity of each fuel used, and then you can work out how much either fuel will cost you.

The easiest common denominator to use is cost per kWh.

With electric power its easy because most appliances already quote their eclectic power consumption in Watts or Kilowatts.

By comparison gas consumption is usually quoted in grams per hour. LPG Butane and Propane typically have Butane 13.6kWh/Kg Propane 13.8kWh/Kg for this purpose well use 13.8kWh/kg

Here are the specifications for a Dometic RMS 10.5T fridge.

Voltage (AC) 230 V
Rated input power (AC) 135 W
Gas consumption [g/24h] 270.00 g/24h
Gas pressure (DIN732) 30 mbar

Based on the conversion factor 270g/h x 13.8= 369.9 W/h. This model therefore uses at least 2.73 times as much energy on gas as it does on electricity.

But this is not the final comparison, as when on eclectic power the thermostat will cut the power completely, whist on gas the fridge continues to use gas to maintain the pilot light which typically is roughly about 100W. It is therefore almost certainly the case that fridges will typically use 3x more gas watts than if it ran on electric.

On that basis, in most cases it will almost certainly be cheaper to run the caravan fridge on mains electric than gas. (Edit added later) Its likely that fact will remain much the same as the cost of energy how ever its provided seems to retain similar margins over time.

hen there is the convenience factor, It is reasonable to assume that if you have chosen a pitch where 230V ac is available, you are likely paying more for the pitch. so why not use it. By doing so you are also not using as much gas, which leaves more for jobs where electric is insufficient such as cooking, space or water heating. You'll change your bottle less frequently, saving the cost and trouble of having to take it to be exchanged or refilled.

However, the cost argument reverses if you use a portable generator to make electricity. LPG is far more cost effective than petrol through a generator.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi you right about the price ours finishes on Monday we have now sorted another with Octopus

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts