Prime Minister's statement

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I am sure others were glued to the TV at 7.00 to see what the PM had to say. We will probably get more detail after MPs discussion in the House tomorrow, but if I read the summary correctly it will be at least July before consideration of sites reopening. We clearly have a huge responsibility as priority to do all we can to eliminate the spread of the virus ahead of any leisure concerns, but I'd be interested to know how others interpret what was said?

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We was also watching what the PM had to say because we have a holiday book but if it a no go we will transfer to June 2021

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We was also watching what the PM had to say because we have a holiday book but if it a no go we will transfer to June 2021
I’d agree with Audiorob’s understanding. Sites are a key element of the hospitality industry but until progress in controlling the virus is clearer I’d see 1 July as only being the beginning of things opening, so the aim might be for mid July or later. No doubt the industry will be developing its plans to present to government for consideration. But I’d doubt that normal facilities will be included when they do first open. And there may be precious few pubs, restaurants and attractions or events open at the time. But heck I’m happy sitting in a field if the weather is good.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think those caravanners that go out in the Summer season , may as well right off this year, or join in the all year round caravanners, if that happens this year, 1st weekend of October booked,

Reactions: Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
For now I interpreted the Prime Ministers statement as prioritising getting Britain back to work.
I don't fancy relaxing our self isolation until the chances of becoming infected are either negligible or non-existent.
There are bound to be some who try to bend the rules, so no doubt we'll soon be seeing reports of holidaymakers in caravans or motorhomes heading for tourist destinations but even if everybody plays by the rules there'll be no sites open until July at the earliest.
If there's a second wave of infections the freedom to sit outside or to exercise more often will disappear.
The restrictions aren't being eased slightly because we're beating Covid 19, they're being eased because there's enough room in ICUs and Nightingale wards for us.
Be careful and stay safe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I have pointed out before, whilst the present rate of infections is down, the reason for it is the potential hosts (previously uninfected people) have been kept away from the virus by the lockdown. The lockdown has not eliminated the infection, and those who have been isolating have not magically become immune to it, so as soon as uninfected people become exposed to the virus, then numbers of infections will start to climb, as has been seen in South Korea since they reduced their lockdown.

Until there is an effective vaccine, or simple mass anti Covid solution, the vulnerable will still remain vulnerable.

Jan 18, 2020
Visit site
My feeling is, it's too soon to be thinking about venturing out,this is just the beginning of easing restrictions but with caveats, let us see how things pan out. Germany eased restrictions now case numbers have increased. Be careful be safe!

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
I agree with most of the post's so far but i do a lot of rallying with my local DA and most of the time its just a farmers field with nothing to do except just relax with a few beers and a good natter with fellow caravaners if you keep to the 2m rule i can't really see a problem as of yesterdays anouncment how can the people in power expect folk to go to work come home sleep go to work sleep for the forseeable future people need a bit of down time to get away in there own vans keep the 2m rule and just enjoy the outdoors

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m somewhat confused. Raab says this morning that it’s okay to now meet with someone not in your household in a park. Providing you're 2 m distance. Yet last Friday we were all encouraged to hold SD street events for VE day. Our road had an enjoyable 2.5 hours out in the sun.
But don’t worry your French friends will still be able to fly into U.K. and vice versa, but not your German ones.
I think I need to read the 50 page tome as being a simple marine engineer I do get confused easily by politicians statements 👎

Last edited:
Reactions: PTA
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Just phoned our service people for our annual service and got the good news they can do it next Monday . They gave me special instructions how to leave it with them and how I will get it back, sounds thorough procedure.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just arranged our service as well but as the caravan is locked in the storage then it had to wait until July. The service centre seems to be working normally although rather short on business.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Despite the Asian markets and some European ones going up the U.K. All Share and Footsie seem to have dived down. Wonder why? Markets dislike uncertainty and respond accordingly. Perhaps later today when HMG ministers have stopped u-turning and read the 50 pages we may get some further clarity.
In the meantime my wife has decided to branch out and set up a private limited company. It will be called Dogs and Dudes as she’s just done a cracking job on my hair using the dogs grooming kit. But I worried when she produced a cotton wool bud dipped in meths and a match. I declined the “full Turkish”.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Despite the Asian markets and some European ones going up the U.K. All Share and Footsie seem to have dived down. Wonder why? Markets dislike uncertainty and respond accordingly. Perhaps later today when HMG ministers have stopped u-turning and read the 50 pages we may get some further clarity.
In the meantime my wife has decided to branch out and set up a private limited company. It will be called Dogs and Dudes as she’s just done a cracking job on my hair using the dogs grooming kit. But I worried when she produced a cotton wool bud dipped in meths and a match. I declined the “full Turkish”.
Any pictures

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just arranged our service as well but as the caravan is locked in the storage then it had to wait until July. The service centre seems to be working normally although rather short on business.
Hi i have done the same as you but my caravan going in this week for a service

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here are the new HMG regulations issued following PM’s speech. Interesting section relating to over 70s and vulnerable. Stay shielded at least until end of June. IE stay home unless essential to go out. But excercise is accepted along with the other things that have gone before.

Reactions: Jackspeak
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know that HMG's recomendations are "Slightly confusing" but surley only to Numpteys, if your young and fit, and work outside, stay away from others wear a mask.
Older and retired, be sensible, go out but keep away from others, Wear a mask if near others.
As for going to work in shops etc. That is the real problem, do people really need to buy a Coffee or Tea. I really love a beer or wine but will not going into a pub until we are really sure that the virus is really low,
And that for this year. Many different strains in the UK.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And so the Covid -19 continues to laugh at us. Anyone who has read the saga of the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1919-1921 will know the most severe rates of death were in the second and third waves.
The general view on here and elsewhere definitely believes continuing lockdown is the wisest move. SD continuing too. So why do I want to go away with no pubs cafes restaurants museums etc still closed. Ok I can go on scenic walks but quite frankly , like the rest of you our health comes first , as that of our kids and grand children. Why do I want to put all that is precious at risk? Sorry , I’m staying put for now. Maybe the first two weeks of October will happen. The Woosies will have to see.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
The associated guidance notes were published last night.... Caravan sites still to remain closed

3. Businesses and venues
For the time being, certain businesses and venues are required by law to stay closed to the public. These include:
  • restaurants and cafes, other than for takeaway
  • pubs, cinemas, theatres and nightclubs
  • clothing and electronics stores; hair, beauty and nail salons; and outdoor and indoor markets (not selling food)
  • libraries, community centres, and youth centres
  • indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as bowling alleys, gyms, arcades and soft play facilities
  • some communal places within parks, such as playgrounds and outdoor gyms
  • places of worship (except for funerals)
  • hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campsites, caravan parks, and boarding houses for commercial/leisure use, excluding use by those who live in them permanently, those who are unable to return home and critical workers where they need to for work
Food retailers and food markets, hardware stores, garden centres (from Wednesday 13 May) and certain other retailers can remain open. Other businesses can remain open and their employees can travel to work, where they cannot work from home. From Wednesday 13 May, the government will also allow outdoor sports facilities – such as tennis and basketball courts, golf courses and bowling greens – to open, but you should only use these alone, with members of your household, or with one other person from outside your household, while keeping two metres apart at all times.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The associated guidance notes were published last night.... Caravan sites still to remain closed

3. Businesses and venues
For the time being, certain businesses and venues are required by law to stay closed to the public. These include:
  • restaurants and cafes, other than for takeaway
  • pubs, cinemas, theatres and nightclubs
  • clothing and electronics stores; hair, beauty and nail salons; and outdoor and indoor markets (not selling food)
  • libraries, community centres, and youth centres
  • indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as bowling alleys, gyms, arcades and soft play facilities
  • some communal places within parks, such as playgrounds and outdoor gyms
  • places of worship (except for funerals)
  • hotels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campsites, caravan parks, and boarding houses for commercial/leisure use, excluding use by those who live in them permanently, those who are unable to return home and critical workers where they need to for work
Food retailers and food markets, hardware stores, garden centres (from Wednesday 13 May) and certain other retailers can remain open. Other businesses can remain open and their employees can travel to work, where they cannot work from home. From Wednesday 13 May, the government will also allow outdoor sports facilities – such as tennis and basketball courts, golf courses and bowling greens – to open, but you should only use these alone, with members of your household, or with one other person from outside your household, while keeping two metres apart at all times.
Thanks for the post. Keeping basketball courts available will surely lead to confusion and it’s hardly a non contact sport is it? Last time I played basketball was in HMP Dartmoor and the home team weren't exactly playing by the norms!

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I'm wondering if I can take my old caravan to the dealers (40+ miles away) and collect the new one.. If I leave it much longer the required service intervals would impact negatively on the timing of our usual European tours.
I don't want to be mistaken for a tourist whilst towing and I am over 70 but with no health issues (touch wood). My instinct is to stay in lockdown, but am so tempted.
I will give it some furtherthought...and check the small print which seems to give me permission.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts