Prison Officers Strike

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well done to the Prison Officers for going on strike today. I certainly support them 100%.

Let's hope they get the pay 'deal' sorted out properly and get the recognition they deserve.

I particularly liked the way the strike action was communicated to staff - that was absolutely brilliant.

Lisa

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
I also support the wardens and have no sympathy that the prisoners had to be looked up all day the 1s who got out climbed on the roof of 1 prison and started a fire in another just goes to show what scum bags are locked up in there

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
L.B`s got it spot on again!

At last a kindred spirit.

Don`t know enough about their particular `dispute` to support or otherwise, but presumably their right to strike was forfeit as part of a previous deal at some point.

No, its not a job I would wish to do, but its not conscripted either.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Taken from the BBC's website. Please remember though, this is the media's account of things and this probably can't be relied upon as being 100% accurate:

-------------

Prison officers in strike action

The government says the officers are acting illegally

Thousands of prison officers in England and Wales are striking for at least 24 hours in a protest over pay.

The Prison Officers' Association's strike comes after it pulled out of a no-strike agreement with government.

Officers in Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff, Birmingham, East Anglia and London are among those who have stopped working.

The government is seeking a High Court injunction to stop the "illegal" strike which Justice Secretary Jack Straw has called "wholly unjustifiable".

The first step in that process - the serving of a legal notice to the POA for officers to return to work - has been taken.

Mr Straw said officials had approached the POA on Tuesday to organise a meeting.

The strike, which was announced at 0600 BST - an hour before action began, is the first national walkout in the association's 68-year history.

The Prison Officers' Association (POA), which has 28,000 members, said up to 90% of its members who had been due on duty in had joined the strike.

It said the walkout had been "widespread and unprecedented" and that there was "lockdown" - where prisoners are confined to their cells - at most prisons.

Affected prisons include:

Birmingham prison where a mass outdoor meeting has taken place and all 1,450 prisoners are locked down

Bristol prison where more than 120 officers joined a picket line after serving breakfast to inmates

Wormwood Scrubs prison, west London, where the 1,300 prisoners are being looked after by eight governors

Manchester Prison - formerly known as Strangeways - where plans are in place to serve packed lunches and dinners to inmates in their cells

Cardiff prison where inmates locked in their cells have taunted officers striking in the car park with shouts of "you're breaking the law"

Dartmoor, Exeter and Channings Wood in south-west England

Wakefield prison, where prisoners include Soham murderer Ian Huntley

Frankland high-security prison, County Durham, where a handful of striking officers volunteered to go back to work because of the danger posed by inmates

Prison safety

The Ministry of Justice said the walkout was a breach of the Industrial Relations Act.

Mr Straw said in a statement that contingency plans were in place to maintain security in prisons where officers had gone on strike.

At my request yesterday, my office asked for a meeting with senior officers of the POA

Jack Straw

"Our first concern in this situation is to protect the public," he added.

"Ministers have met with the POA on a regular basis in recent weeks and were due to meet next month.

"Indeed, at my request yesterday, my office asked for a meeting with senior officers of the POA."

Prisoners are being kept in their cells at the moment.

The government says the officers are acting illegally

It is believed police may have to be drafted in to ensure the safety of inmates.

The walkout follows a POA national ballot of members two weeks ago.

Some 87% of the prison officers who voted endorsed industrial action "up to and including strike".

An independent pay review body recommended a 2.5% pay rise but the government staged that rise as 1.5% in April and a further 1% in November.

Pay row

The POA says that, due to inflation, this reduces the value of the award, making it a below-inflation pay increase.

But, after the ballot results, a Ministry of Justice spokeswoman said: "Pay rises for those at the top end of their pay scales have been below inflation for two years.

Surely we should be treated as well, if not better, than the prisoners we look after

Colin Moses

POA

"But those still rising on the incremental pay scales are receiving above inflation rises."

Prison Officers' Association (POA) general secretary Brian Caton said the government and the Prison Service had been told of the result of the ballot and that meetings had been requested.

"None of those meetings have happened and that has caused our membership to call for strike action which we have taken today."

Chairman Colin Moses said the decision to strike had been taken "after two years of frustration and two years of below-inflation pay awards".

"Surely we should be treated as well, if not better, than the prisoners we look after."

'Cross and fed-up'

Prison Governors' Association chairman Charles Bushell told BBC News that the majority of prisoners would become "cross and fed-up" but would "control themselves", he said.

"Equally, we know that there is a minority - quite a sizeable minority in some places - who will get cross and will find it difficult."

Mark Leech, founder of the Prisons Handbook and a commentator on the penal system, said striking officers were "effectively taking prisoners hostage through this action".

"Every part of prison life comes down to the prison officers," he told the BBC News website.

"Visits will be cancelled, education and offending behaviour courses will not be running."

Some crown courts in England and Wales reported that prisoners due to appear had not been delivered while others reported no problems.

The Northern Ireland Prison Service said its prisons were unaffected by the action

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I found the following comment from the learned gentleman amusing ...

Mark Leech, founder of the Prisons Handbook and a commentator on the penal system, said striking officers were "effectively taking prisoners hostage through this action".

Surely once you are sent to prison you are an hostage, an hostage of society in general. They are held hostage for a reason, to protect the public.

Mar 24, 2007
Visit site
The police are in the same boat with the pay rise unfortunatly we can't strike but can all go sick at the same time, london would grind to a halt, that would make the government sit up and listen

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I agree Marky P. The police are being taken for a ride by the government. On one hand they are refusing to honer pay awards or at least discuss a fair pay award, on the other hand they expect the police to cover elsewhere. The police dont have the right to strike and very few would do so, but the government are going to push us too far one day. Everyone has their breaking point.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ewan,

No, its not a job I would wish to do, but its not conscripted either

Angus pointed this out with regard to the Prision Officers strike.

You only look at pay, look at conditions like the ability to retire at 55 on full pension ( and the bonus when coming direct from the armed services, time done also counts ). Don't forget it all has to be paid for, and us tax payers can't go on strike either !!!!

I think Gordon Brown could be another Maggie if the Services Union Police, Fire, and Ambulance decide to take him on.

Frank

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The ability to retire at 55 dissapeared a long time ago, Prison Staff have to do the same as everyone else and work to normal retiring age.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank, I have no idea about Police retirement age, but wil find out.

The Full Pension for Prison Staff is actually 44/80ths, so just about half pay in reality.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Damian,

found it,

On 1 October 2006 new compulsory retirement ages (CRAs) came into effect for police officers.

These are as follows:

For a constable, sergeant. inspector or chief inspector, 60 years

For an officer with any higher rank, 65 years.

The date may be postponed by the chief constable (in the case of an officer at the rank of superintendent or below) or by the police authority (in the case of an officer above the rank of superintendent). These ages apply to all forces: there are no longer separate CRAs for the Metropolitan Police.

Pension ages and CRAs are separate. The new CRAs will not affect the date at which an officer can retire with a pension under either PPS or NPPS. Officers will not be disadvantaged by the new arrangements if they choose to retire as they expected to at their former CRA.

Please refer to the CRA Objective Justifaction and the Home Office Circular on CRAs for more information and guidance. Both documents are available in the Downloads section.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Listen to the arguments for and against on radio 2.

First thought was it was funny.

Second thought was if only they could be sacked!

Its a job thats all, Don't need a degree [yet]

And as for the scumbag remarks! amazing that, you

would think they had all the animals looked up!

Well done the government got a court order and see

how brave the leaders were when they realised they could

be locked up or loose their houses.and god forbid end up

in there own cells !

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
It makes you laugh when people come out with such diatribe about a job they know absolutely nothing about.Prison officers have to now work till they are 60yrs of age and they pay for their pensions.I retired at 55, and a week before I retired I was rolling about the floor of the segragation unit fighting a low life piece of crap,do you really expect a 60 yr old to do it? For years they have been cutting back on staff leaving them to work in an enviroment that gets more dangerous day by day,and now the poor sods have to call the crap mister.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Don't let the b*ggers get to you allen. Gio is entitled to his views even if he knows nowt about the job but at least his extremist views are in the minority :O)

Lets be fair, I think the majority would like to see this governments ass put out of gear :O)

Having to call the cretins Mister would also stick in my craw.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
It was a job that I would have like to don in my younger day but with how thing are now days I would not whont it now and I think diserve every peny they get.

Mark

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hey LB,

Giovanni is entitled to his views the same as you are to yours. You will be ok soon, I hear group 4 are looking for ex van drivers with some knowledge of first aid -)

What I do know is the job as a prison warder is not as tough as a RM or Para in Afghanistan, and they don't walk out bleating. The POA is a trade union and they don't want to lose members to the private sector, so they cause a fuss which is normal. If the job is so tough why do they have a waiting list to get in ??

just an observation

Frank

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hey LB,

Giovanni is entitled to his views the same as you are to yours. You will be ok soon, I hear group 4 are looking for ex van drivers with some knowledge of first aid -)

What I do know is the job as a prison warder is not as tough as a RM or Para in Afghanistan, and they don't walk out bleating. The POA is a trade union and they don't want to lose members to the private sector, so they cause a fuss which is normal. If the job is so tough why do they have a waiting list to get in ??

just an observation

Frank
Frank, just an observation, read what I said,

"Gio is entitled to his views "

so you put your foot in it again by typing without reading ;O) so desperate to put people down aren't we ;O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts