problem with kia sorento beam delectors

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks

As posted previously we are into our 4th week in France towing our caravan with the Sorrie Titan. Very pleased generally apart from one small problem. I have fitted Kia's own headlamp protectors and stuck on the black plastic european beam correctors as specified on marked rectangles. HOWEVER when driving the other night for the first time in the dark the headlights on dip were absolutely useless to the point of being dangerous. The beam was fine but the dipped lights were like sidelights and hardly fit to drive with safely.

Any suggestions for improving this situation??? On previous cars I've used the stick on grid deflectors without any problems.

Regards

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
So-called beam deflectors usually don't deflect at all but, at best, spread the light beam pattern, often illuminating areas which don't need to be well lit at the expense of critical ones. At worst they just cut down the power of the beam. You'd be better off by readjusting the headlamps to shift the strongest concentration of light more to the right. Many modern cars, in particular those with xenon headlamps, mustn't be fitted with headlamp deflectors anyway.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Tim

I use the stick on grid deflectors that you mention - but then I don't have the Kia headlamp protectors. Mine work to a degree, but are not very good, and cut down the light as Lutz says. Worst of all I can't get them off again when I get home!

All in all not a very satisfactory situation but I can think of no alternatives. It was much better in the days when you could flick a switch at the back of the headlight and re focus the bulb. I don't think trying to re-adjusting the lights to the right as Lutz says would be acceptable to the police.

The only real solution would be continental headlights if they could be obtained from a breaker's yard - not easy.

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for reply K and L. The Kia setup is plastic headlamp protectors with areas marked out to be covered with black plastic stickers on continent.

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
All the law requires is that oncoming traffic must not be dazzled. If that can be achieved by reajusting the the headlamp beams, that is acceptable. In some cases, however, this can only be carried out by the dealer.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the plastic headlamp covers fitted to my Sedona.I cut down the size of the black sticky bits by about 50% on all four sides.It still wasn't brilliant but a lot better than original.Nobody flashed me at night with or without the van on the back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts