Problem with my Bailey

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I own a Bailey Discovery Bordeaux SE 1996/97. We bought it in July 2005 from Mendip Caravans. Every time we have gone away in it since then we have always ebcoubtered problems with it ie. we have had 2 submersible water pumps since we got it as they keep breaking down, they will power up when taken out of water but once submersed wont pump the water through, it seems as though there isnt enough power to get the water though the system. The Carver water heater will work sometimes and other times will take us hours maybe a day or 2 to get it to heat.

Last weekend we went away fro 4 days, the 2nd pump packed in, the 5amp keeps tripping yet there is nothing running off it as theres no water the heater isnt on , nothing in the sockets, no lights on etc. It takes about 8-9 hours before that swich is then able to be put back up. So the one night we didnt have any lights as the battery hadnt charged. Could all these things be connected to just one problem, waiting on the dealer to contact us to see when we can get it in. Any ideas would be appreciated

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like their are some crossed wires or dodgy connections somewhere which is causing short outs and power drain.

Have you tried the water pump powered straight from a battery not through the caravan? Does the water heater work fine on gas?

The only solution I can think off is checking all connections into the zig unit/control panel, and all connections to all appliances.

I had the same sort of probs on a 1979 stirling and it was easier to re-wire from scratch!

Be warned, if the van isnt still in warrenty from dealer It`ll cost a fortune in labour charges for them to sort it.

Make friends with somebody with multi meter!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Visualize, I know it sounds daunting but the only way to fix thing is to work through each problem systamatically.

1. Change the 5Amp MCB which sounds as though it is intermittent [I remember reading on the Forum of this particular fault}. This I hope will also sort the problem out with the water heater [which I think you mean it is a problem on electric only?], if not:

2. Is power getting to the heater? If so is the element OK?

3. With regards to the pump I assume that it keeps running when submerged? If so, and there is nothing wrong with it internally, then there must be a blockage if no water appears at a cold tap when it is on. Start at the water inlet to the van and break the connection {undo the blue hose}, and see if water appears. If it does do it up and work towards the tap breaking the joints as you go. If no water at the inlet then the filter may be blocked.

The best way to find out how things work is DIY which will save you a fortune over the years. If you have any doubt about the electrical side get a local electrician to sort it out, much cheaper and he will do it where the van is, not the other way round.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Visualize, I know it sounds daunting but the only way to fix thing is to work through each problem systamatically.

1. Change the 5Amp MCB which sounds as though it is intermittent [I remember reading on the Forum of this particular fault}. This I hope will also sort the problem out with the water heater [which I think you mean it is a problem on electric only?], if not:

2. Is power getting to the heater? If so is the element OK?

3. With regards to the pump I assume that it keeps running when submerged? If so, and there is nothing wrong with it internally, then there must be a blockage if no water appears at a cold tap when it is on. Start at the water inlet to the van and break the connection {undo the blue hose}, and see if water appears. If it does do it up and work towards the tap breaking the joints as you go. If no water at the inlet then the filter may be blocked.

The best way to find out how things work is DIY which will save you a fortune over the years. If you have any doubt about the electrical side get a local electrician to sort it out, much cheaper and he will do it where the van is, not the other way round.
Hi all thank you for your replies i will show my husband when he gets home. It has a couple of months warranty left on it because we bought it from a dealer in july with a 12 minth warranty from the time we bought it it has had a hosts of probs which should have been found on the PDI before we picked it up , Shoddy Service. Hubby is an auto electrician and car mechanic, and i know he can fic the probs now we have an idea where to look for a fault. ive had a row with the dealer cos everytime they give us a date to take it in they cancel at last minute and push it back 2 months this started last August and were now MArch and the warranty runs out in July.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Our priveatly bought 98 Senator had similar water pump pobs with fuses blowing.

The problems were caused through lack of use, I removed the pumps and their inlet grills and turned the impellors untill they moved very freely and soaked the pumps in soapy water before attaching to a 12 volt supply and washing several gallons of clean water through the pumps! The inboard pump when installed span but pumped no water, it needed a shake to get water into it to prime it!!!!!

The diaphragm on the inline micro switch had set in position due to lack of use, it had to be replaced and then all worked fine!

When I first tried the pumps they seemed OK !!!!

Take them out and free them up and clean before you get to carried away, I was thinking electrical supply problms and had test meter out and was tearing the little hair I have out before I removed the pumps for a clean.

Check pumps/switch/filter and that hoses have no kinks and that Carver has water filling it before you srart getting carried away.

Near boiling water into the hoses to soften them to remove kinks is an easy move, rather than uncliping them.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
problem with water pump on bailley may be you need to reset your pressure switch I had this problem on 2000 bailley pageant refer to hand book or come back for more info

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts