Puncture on motorway No Spare Wheel. Rubbish Tyre Inflator

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
My wife's Golf 7 of 2013 has these words in supplied Owner's manual;
  • Never drive faster than 80 km/h (50 mph). Do not accelerate quickly, brake suddenly or drive at high speed through bends.
  • Never drive further than 200 km with a temporary spare wheel if it is fitted to the drive axle.
They therefore discriminate here between the drive and non drive axle, placing a distance figure on its use just for the "drive".

Not repeated here, but they also point to adopting a non-aggressive driving style, re acceleration and cornering, whilst using their "ss".

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Space-savers are designed to get you to a workshop to get the original road tyre repaired or replaced - in most instances that would be well under 50 miles - they're not designed to complete a long journey.

As Dustydog and I know, space-savers aren't always skinny - on the Touareg, the space saver is nearly full width and full diameter when inflated but collapses down to a smaller diameter when uninflated - it is though inflated to a similar high pressure to the conventional skinny space-savers

But as Dusty said the Touareg is an unusual provision which bears little resemblance to what most motorists know as a "space saver"

Whilst I agree that the aim should be to find workshop to repair for replace the punctured wheel, life isn't always so convenient in areas where some may be driving here or abroad. The AA quote 50 mph, but no distance limit, although do emphasise that it is only temporary fix pending repairing or replacing the full size tyre. Tyresafe recommend not to drive more than 50 miles. With a tread depth of 3mm the space saver is legal down to 1.6mm providing its pressure is correct. There is no legal limit on distance, but being skinny and of soft rubber it will wear more rapidly than a normal tyre, so it is prudent to get to the punctured tyre replaced as soon as possible. It beggars the question though when should the space saver be replaced. I had to use mine. for three days whilst awaiting new Conti. Must have done 25 miles pootling around, but tread depth is still as near 3mm as damn it, as the journeys were local and not much opportunity to do 40 mph let alone 50mph. It was a rear tyre so no drive loads.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If I remember correctly by law in France you need to have matching tyres on the same axle. A space saver is certainly not matching and neither is my 18" spare wheel when the other wheel is a 20" although the 18" is a proper road tyre. If you were unfortunate enough to have a mishap while on the way to change the tyre, I wonder how the French traffic police would view it and also your insurance company?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If I remember correctly by law in France you need to have matching tyres on the same axle. A space saver is certainly not matching and neither is my 18" spare wheel when the other wheel is a 20" although the 18" is a proper road tyre. If you were unfortunate enough to have a mishap while on the way to change the tyre, I wonder how the French traffic police would view it and also your insurance company?
The UK requires a matching tyre on the same axle - but there's an exception for emergency use to permit the use of space-savers - although for many years after the introduction of space-savers there was no legal exception but the police/CPS didn't prosecute

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The UK requires a matching tyre on the same axle - but there's an exception for emergency use to permit the use of space-savers - although for many years after the introduction of space-savers there was no legal exception but the police/CPS didn't prosecute
However I was referring to France when you cannot speak French and your car is foreign registered as technically you are breaking the law. In every trade there is a jobsworth!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What’s the definition in UK of a matching tyre?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
However I was referring to France when you cannot speak French and your car is foreign registered as technically you are breaking the law. In every trade there is a jobsworth!

I, well both of us, are way more laid back, we could not sleep at night if we overthought every negative issue that could arise.

That would have resulted in not travelling so extensively throughout the world as has formed so much a positive aspect of our lives.

Experience is its way more common to find very helpful people, than encounter jobsworth, but I suppose a lot depends on how we act.

In the situation being discussed there would in almost every case to be some other issue for a jobsworth to be so lacking in understanding; just risk it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I, well both of us, are way more laid back, we could not sleep at night if we overthought every negative issue that could arise.

I am very envious. I am as laid back as you can get. But OH worries about every little thing that might never happen. And she gets worse the older she gets.

I, have told her that I will put, “but what if”, on her gravestone.

John

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've only ever had to use a spacesaver once, and from memory I believe the max speed 80kph 50mph was moulded into the tyre wall.

I believe the general advice is their use is always limited to getting the vehicle to the nearest tyre replacement facility.

Other limitations may be set by the vehicle manufacturer such as towing, and which axle.

Most factors that affect tyres tend to increase with speed, and several increase with the square of the difference in speed, so limiting speeds to 50mph does make a significant reduction in the loads a tyre could otherwise expect to experience.

Regarding exceeding GVW. Its a statutory limit and It is irresponsible to even suggest its acceptable to exceed it by a small amount on the basis that its rarely checked, or that it might just receive a warning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

That would have resulted in not travelling so extensively throughout the world as has formed so much a positive aspect of our lives.

Experience is its way more common to find very helpful people, than encounter jobsworth, but I suppose a lot depends on how we act.

In the situation being discussed there would in almost every case to be some other issue for a jobsworth to be so lacking in understanding; just risk it.
We are booked for three weeks in France and their approach to tyres isn’t something we give any thought to, if we get a non repairable puncture we just have to go with the flow. Mind you having owned two Subaru Foresters where tyre tread depth is required to be within 1 mm all round the French approach is far cheaper. When I converted a Forester to a full size spare I search hard to find a part worn tyre that was “ matched” to the cars other tyres and with a similar looking tread pattern. But I required a tread depth of 5 mm. I found one, Met my criteria but an different make, and fortunately when I did have a non repairable puncture I got away with only having to buy a new tyre which then went into the boot as a spare. Saved me having to buy four new tyres.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In my experience, the French have a laid back attitude to tyres, well, in-so-far as repair. I has a puncture once. I had a full size steel spare wheel. I took the puncture to a garage local to the camp site. It took them. 3 days.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it is that bad in France why do French and German car makers supply SS wheels😵‍💫
Do they supply SS to cars on the continent otr is the SS a Brit thing?
I don't know if they supply SS wheels anywhere else in Europe, but even though there are many EU regs that apply across the EU and for the time being the UK each country can and do have local regulations that require or disallow certain details. So its entirely possible manufacturers may supply SS wheels to only specific counties.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Does anyone know if the tyre sizes for alloys and steel wheels are the same?

I have an odd tyre - long story involving potholes. When I need a new tyre on the same 'axle' I'd like to get two the same so thought the odd tyre could be fitted to a steel wheel as a full size spare

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Do they supply SS to cars on the continent otr is the SS a Brit thing?
It's not a Brit thing - I think it originated in the USA but spread to the EU as part of reducing emissions by reducing weight (or restricting weight gain).

As I posted earlier, it was originally technically illegal in the UK to use a space-saver for many years after European cars fitted them as standard, so UK law was changed to permit them.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

I have an odd tyre - long story involving potholes. When I need a new tyre on the same 'axle' I'd like to get two the same so thought the odd tyre could be fitted to a steel wheel as a full size spare
The answer is "maybe".

When a full size steel spare is fitted it's often the same size as those on the alloy road wheels - but sometimes it's a bit different so treated as a space-saver even though it may not be skinny.

If your odd tyre is the same size as the others, you could fit it to a steel or alloy wheel as a spare. A new steel wheel is often more expensive than a secondhand alloy so it may be worth searching ebay or gumtree for a matching alloy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My Skoda had OEM 17 inch alloys. But it’s full size spare was on a16 inch steel wheel so the tyre size was different to the OEM wheels but it’s overall dimensions wrt width and aspect ratio ensured it’s rolling diameter and width were virtually the same as the OEM tyres. Though if I remember right it was still labelled 50:80. fir speed restrictions during usage.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Skoda had OEM 17 inch alloys. But it’s full size spare was on a16 inch steel wheel so the tyre size was different to the OEM wheels but it’s overall dimensions wrt width and aspect ratio ensured it’s rolling diameter and width were virtually the same as the OEM tyres. Though if I remember right it was still labelled 50:80. fir speed restrictions during usage.
The different size defines it as a space-saver - even though not particularly skinny.

When my son bought a Skoda Octavia, we bought a steel spare and jack from a different dealer to replace the goo kit - that was a different size and marked 50 mph / 80 kph.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

When I converted my Subaru to have a full sized spare I went for an alloy of the same size as the OEM wheels. It was genuine Subaru bought cheaply direct from the importers but it was a discontinued pattern. So dimensionally identical but visually different. Very cheap though only around £120.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....my Terrano bought new, came with a full size spare mounted on the back door.
Stupidly it was a steel whereas the 4x4 was shod with some nice alloys.
The steel made the spare twice as heavy as the fitted alloy wheel.
I purchased a new old stock matching alloy as soon the model aged a few years (£40)

A full sized spare removes all the drama out of a puncture especiallywhen you are towing....(that's if you can do the fitting)
I once had a puncture in Poitiers France on the way to Malaga Spain.
Changed to the spare in 30 minutes and had 2 Michelins fitted in Malaga 4 days later ....sorted without drama and the 2 Michelins were £100 cheaper than they would have been in the UK!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This keeps popping up. Would you use one? If yes how far do you think you could safely travel?

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
This keeps popping up. Would you use one? If yes how far do you think you could safely travel?

Seen similar in the past. Main difference they used rubber mushroom plugs you pushed in and pulled back into the hole.
Very temporary fix.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

I've got a set of "Tyre Strings" - string impregnated with glue which can be pushed into a puncture, using several for a bigger hole - haven't need to try them though.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts