Punctured tyre

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I had a puncture on my Elldis Storm this morning and although i had no caravan damage both tyres on one side were damaged beyond repair.I cant remember running over anything.I have taken both tyres off and can see no objects in the tread area, i can understand 1 puncture ,but 2.Is it possible for 1 tyre to take out the other?.The tyres fitted are the Hankook make and i remember reading about faulty tyres on a prevous Forum.

Any help or idea's/answer please

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Why should two tyres fail on the same side?

1. You could have run over a sharp object that damaged both tyres. But you should have noticed this pretty quickly when you were driving.

2. If the dead tyres are on the kerb-side of the van, then an inadvertent kerbing might have been responsible.

But I think this is the most likely reason:

3. You had a partial failure of one tyre - maybe a slow leak - which eventually will cause all the load on that side to be transferred to the remaining good tyre. This will then fail because it's overloaded - and you now have two dead tyres on the same side.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Make sure you check the inside rim/wall of the tyres on the opposite side as they may have had extreme wear as a result. This certainly happens on single axle vans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the tyres are a few years old its not uncommon for them to fail even though the tread looks good.

Once one has failed it puts twice the load on the other on a twin axle and if that is in a similar condition then it too is likely to fail

We met a couple with a 4 year old caravan(single axle) in the South of France and they had had a puncture on the way there.

We met them again on a good stretch of motorway on their way back and the other tyre had blown.

Several friends have had tyre failure at about 4 years

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts