rac/ aa/ green flag

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am looking at what emergency service to take up. I have an Eldiss caravan. The RAC advise that even with the top cover, they will only recover the caravan if the car breaks down. If there is a problem with the caravan and they can't fix it by the roadside, your on your own! Green flag will recover a van up to 21'. My van is 22'! What do you all do? I can't believe its so difficult to get cover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are eligible to join Civil Service motoring association (CSMA) you could join Britannia Rescue which does cover all this and is a top rated service. The definition of civil service is pretty wide and includes BT, BNFL and all sorts. Also, if you have a family member who was / is a CS this will probably do too. Worth a look.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nigel,I think Green Flag is about the best ,the Caravan Club have a tie up with them so I am sure thats good enough for a lot of people as well as myself.In regards to caravan being 22ft, the breakdown guy will not be bringing a tape measure with him, will he really.Go for.

it Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have green flag motoring assistance arranged through Mayday (caravan club).This cover also includes the caravan for recovery purposes and there is NO limit as to the length of the caravan. The van must (to quote):-

Conform to Motor Vehicle Construction Regs 1976.

Fit a standard towball.

Must not exceed, when loaded, the kerbweight of the towing vehicle and

must be of propreitary make. No mention whatsoever of caravan lentgh. Green flag has received many accolades in previous threads on this forum. Touch wood I have not had to call on their services yet !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very strange business this. I have RAC through Ford and that covers caravan, standard RAC does not cover caravan. So try joining RAC through your insurer or car manufacturer. Green Flag covers big caravans including twin axles they just want it on record so they send a big enough truck. I have had great service from RAC and poor from Green Flag. Many people think higly of Green Flag. PS my vans 7M too

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Worth noting that they all quote "must be able to connect to a standard towball" which is usually a bolt-on ball. More caravans now come with an Alko hitch stabiliser which cannot be used with a "standard" bolt on ball as they don't have the extended neck to give adequate clearance...........

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We joined Mayday through the Caravan Club at the beginning of the year. On our way to our holiday destination the caravan snaked and rolled onto its side. This was on the M6 so, after calling the Police, we phoned Mayday. We had not been in this situation before (!) and the friendly voice we got on the phone (after offering to call us back on the mobile) was very welcome.

The Police organised recovery, but Mayday gave us several options. They said that if the car was damaged (it wasn't) they would either take us to our intended destination or home. They also offered to pick up the van and take this home for us. At this point they suggested that the chances of a van not being a right off in this situation were very slim. They even suggested that we probably wouldn't want it on our driveway reminding us of the holiday we didn't get! So, on their advice we left it alone and let the insurance company sort out the rest.

Although we never saw a breakdown truck, the service was second to none. We were treated with sympathy and respect by two seperate operators that knew exactly what they were talking about at a time that we really needed it.

I would obviously hope thst no-body has a similar experience, but the way we were treated that day will secure our premium for many years to come. I think that when we took out the policy, they were about the cheapest too!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have RAC cover with Nissan but they will only recover the caravan if its because of a car related problem.I also have RAC Arrival through the C & CC which covers the caravan and car should the fault be on either vehicle.Most manufacturers roadside assist policies do not cover recovery if the caravan is immobilised.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Green Flag operate the Mayday scheme on behalf of the Caravan Club but perversely restrictions apply if you join Green Flag direct than if you join through the Caravan Club!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been with Britania Rescue for years and never had any problems, No restrictions on van size. Al they ask is that if you are towing you tell them when you call and also let them know van length (ours is 23.75 feet).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts