RADIAL TYRES QUERY

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
I did have a quick look via the search,but couldnt find much.
Those that leave their caravan stored and drained down for the winter.Do you move the van backwards and forwards to negate the tyres getting flat spots?

Is this likely to happen if you dont?
Anyone ever had this happen,or is it scaremongering..lol

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some do some don’t. Damian the moderator has posted twice recently advising that radial ply tyres don’t require to be moved. He points out that dealers don’t move the wheels. But dealers don’t do a lot of things that they should and they aren’t concerned about long term longevity and ownership.

If you didn’t want to move the wheels you could reduce the weight on the tyres and suspension by axle stands or jacks. Or winter wheels would be another option.

If you are using the van during winter they won’t really need moving. If not then it cannot go any harm and may be beneficial.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
LG57-UPS. said:
Thanks for the reply..
Just out of interest which camp are you in ,do or not bother?

I don't bother, and have yet to notice flat spots. However I do pump the tyres up to compensate for the drop in temperature.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
LG57-UPS. said:
Thanks for the reply..
Just out of interest which camp are you in ,do or not bother?

Tyres go to max pressure and I move wheels quarte turn about 6-8 weekly if not going out anywhere in van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pump tyres up to maximum pressure or even a bit more, added advantage is your unlikely to return to find them softer than required for use abd only need to reduce down to correct pressure.
Recently bought a horse box for daughter and although tyres were 2004 they showed no sign of their age, no cracking at all.
Thing is, unlike caravans, horse boxes always use maximum pressure of tyre regardless of load, thats to do with horses high centre of gravity while towing, but also a very likely reason for tyre condition.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Been caravanning for over 30 years, and never moved the van about, and never had problems. However, it is important that tyres are inflated to at least normal pressure, perhaps a little more. If they face the sun at all, it would be worth covering them too

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Been caravanning for over 30 years, and never moved the van about, and never had problems. However, it is important that tyres are inflated to at least normal pressure, perhaps a little more. If they face the sun at all, it would be worth covering them too

I'm inclined to be with chrisn 7 on this.

The only difference being that I will never need tyre covers unless I take up parking my caravan inside a tanning salon.

visitsunnyscotland.com :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts