radio interference

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i have recently changed all my lightbulbs in my van to led's and am pretty amazed with the results, now if i was to turn all 13 lights on i am using a little less power than i was if i had just 2 of my old lights on also they are just luke warm as against untouchable hot as they were, really dangerous i thought, also i have no loss of light in fact the light they prodce is a whiter light so seem much brighter and spead of light is so much better, over the bed head i have two down lighters for reading etc., and they got really hot on your head, i fitted warm white led's to them (as against white in all the others) and the light from them is really nice and good to read by with no heat or glare with good spread, not spot as before.
Happy day's but with one small problem, i have three downlighters connected together with a dimmer, but they can all be switched individually ,they are spaced across the front of the van, we use these in the evenings to read by over the lounge area, the radio is also fitted just above one of these but i believe the lighting wires for all three pass in the same area as the radio wires and i am getting a fuzzy reception on the radio whilst the lights are on, this clears in graidients with each light that is turned off, with all three off it is back to normal, i can only assume that the radio is picking up this interference from the lighting wires, it never happened with the old bulbs but i aint going back .
does anybody know if i could maybe fit a suppresor or something in the power supply to the radio or maybe it is the speaker wires i should be thinking off.
Hope you can help ............ Geoff

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Your LED's are supposed to conform the the European Standards CE spec so if you bought them from a UK supplier you could take them back and ask for a refund.
There are steps that you can take to suppress the electrical noise, have a look Here

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
gcds50 said:
Happy day's but with one small problem, i have three downlighters connected together with a dimmer, but they can all be switched individually ,they are spaced across the front of the van, we use these in the evenings to read by over the lounge area, the radio is also fitted just above one of these but i believe the lighting wires for all three pass in the same area as the radio wires and i am getting a fuzzy reception on the radio whilst the lights are on, this clears in graidients with each light that is turned off, with all three off it is back to normal, i can only assume that the radio is picking up this interference from the lighting wires, it never happened with the old bulbs but i aint going back .
Is the dimmer switch LED compatible ??
Will an old dimmer switch work with an led bulb
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
there is also one light in the roof above lounge although a bit further way from radio it is on its own not on the dimmer but the wires from that run in the same area as the other three and this also has a minor efect on the sound, my theory is the further away the light is the less effect on the radio

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
What was the type of bulb fitted to the roof light ?
I fitted LEDs to all of our vans lights & don't have any noise problems with the radio ......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts