Range Rover evogue

Jul 9, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys, was hoping for some clarity on an issue I’ve got. Just bought a lovely buccaneer schooner 2010, new to caravanning &towing, have a Range Rover evogue 2022 and am getting mixed opinions on whether it will tow it ok. Any help appreciated, thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jazzyw.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm somewhat unsure about the model of Range Rover you have? You tell us its an "Evogue" from 2022 Do you mean an Evoque or Vogue. The model is important as their homologated weight limits could be different.

Usually inside the the passengers door there is a weight data plate that looks a bit like this
1688936468686.png
with usually four lines of weight limits. Can you tell us what that says please,

Similarly the the caravan should also have one similar to this
1688936628836.png

Jul 9, 2023
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply. It’s an evoque, auto correct changed my spelling sorry, I did have a look and could only find an info panel like this on the drivers inside door which had air pressures on but nothing else which looked like weights unless I’ve missed it somewhere 🤷‍♂️

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply. It’s an evoque, auto correct changed my spelling sorry, I did have a look and could only find an info panel like this on the drivers inside door which had air pressures on but nothing else which looked like weights unless I’ve missed it somewhere 🤷‍♂️
The owners manual normally says where the plate is located. Could be under the bonnet

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Specs, Jazzy welcome to the forum, well a quick search has come back with the specs and it seems the caravan is 18kg to heavy even totally empty for your car to tow. Your car can tow 1600 kg and the empty van is 1618 kg.
If someone else can confirm the information this will help.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately Jazzy, like Hutch, I have found the online information about the Buccaneer schooner 2010 and it's unladen weight before you add any of your own items is stated to be 1618Kg and based on the information you have supplied about the RR Evoque, it has a maximum towed weight of1600Kg.

I'm sorry but practically your car is not approved to tow such a heavy trailer even when empty.

Jul 9, 2023
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for your reply, this is the specs of my car, does this not seem ok to you to tow ? It says can tow 2000kg , thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1185.png
    IMG_1185.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1186.png
    IMG_1186.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 13
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The legal towing specification is the cars tally plate. That gives gross train weight, gross vehicle weight and maximum front and rear axle loadings. From those figures you get maximum towing weight. It may also be on you v5 but even on v5s errors have been reported. So you need to find the car’s weight plate.

Try this:

The car's VIN plate/sticker is absolute - any other source is subject to error, particularly looking things up on the internet.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Specs, Jazzy welcome to the forum, well a quick search has come back with the specs and it seems the caravan is 18kg to heavy even totally empty for your car to tow. Your car can tow 1600 kg and the empty van is 1618 kg.
If someone else can confirm the information this will help.
With your latest information, maybe, your car will be able to tow your caravan. As the others have stated, you will have to check your VIN plate to be certain.
I hope my findings were wrong.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the weights (VIN) plate there will be four weight limits laid out in the example plate I posted previously.
The top one is the Gross Vehicle Weight/Mass (GVW or GVM)
The second line is the Gross Train Weight/Mass (GTW or GTM)
These are both absolut legal Limits which must not be exceeded under any circumstances.

Maximum Towed Weight Limit (MTWL) does not appear on the data plate, because there is some latitude to the way it can be specified. Instead it is usually posted in the tow vehicles specifications. It will always observe the GTW limit for the vehicle, and whilst most car manufacturers opt to set the MTWL = GTW - GVW, which assumes the tow vehicle will be at its GVW limit.

Some manufacturers will calculate the MTWL based on a partially loaded tow vehicle, but the additional trailer weight allowed reduces as the load in the tow vehicle increases~ always observing the GTW legal limit. I must stress this method is not always used and is model specific.

Whilst the manufacturers MTWL is not a recognised legal limit, it must be considered as being one, if the tow vehicles MTWL is exceeded, and it is detected, it may be construed as an unsafe vehicle by virtue of exceeding a design limit and thus unroadworthy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to the Caravan maker these are the crucial numbers.I quote purely as a guide and suggest the OP consults his caravans own plate .
Unladen Weight: 1668kg
User Payload: 282kg
MTPLM: 1950kg
Anything is possible but for me a step too far. I sense the usual misunderstanding of the car manufacturer saying what you can tow but reality as we know is absolutely along the lines of the Prof’s formula.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
From memory the nose weight is quite high on the Schooner too, 120kg ish I think.
Going to need a big tug for that, Tourag, Discovery etc. I know our Santa Fe isn't up to it. Checked my Brother-in-laws schooner data plate when we were away together.
*This is for a later model schooner so spec and weights might be different*
Also, with the self leveling gubbins and a wind out awning there wasn't a lot of payload left

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From memory the nose weight is quite high on the Schooner too, 120kg ish I think.
Going to need a big tug for that, Tourag, Discovery etc. I know our Santa Fe isn't up to it. Checked my Brother-in-laws schooner data plate when we were away together.
Also, with the self leveling gubbins and a wind out awning there wasn't a lot of payload left
Manufacturers may state a nose load value. That can only be its exworks nose load as it leaves the factory. It has little practical value to the end user because the nose load changes as you load items into the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The 2010 Schooner never had self levelling as that was only fitted as standard from 2015. Nose weight of about 100kg should be fine and the caravan could probably be towed safely with the Evogue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts