Rear parking sensors and rear view camera?

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
Quick question. When towing how does this effect the sensors and rear parking camera on your towing car?
I would imagine each time you put the car in reverse you'll get the warning beeps?
Thanks

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not that posh and aint to got a reversing camera on my Kuga :p
We have reversing sensors which just give us a beep for close proximity when putting it in reverse but I hardly do any reversing with the caravan on so it doesn't bother me that much .

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
TriciaA said:
Quick question. When towing how does this effect the sensors and rear parking camera on your towing car?
I would imagine each time you put the car in reverse you'll get the warning beeps?
Thanks

It depends on the electrical system you have fitted to the car. Some model specific towbar electric systems identify when the car is connected to a trailer via the plug and disconnect the sensors to prevent them operating.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
With Vehicle specific wiring loom and appropriate reprogramming, the devices will cut out automatically when the caravan is hitched and plugged in. The re-programming may also activate things like Trailer Sway Control (Ford's name for it)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have a dealer fitted OEM towbar so the electronics were updated to include the trailer module which adds an extra stability programme and deactivates the rear parking sensors.

Edit: I meant to add that the front parking sensors are not deactivated, as they would be if you manually deactivated them via the switch on the dashboard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on tow car connections. My 2013 Freelander 2 has 13 pin towing connection and disables the rear parking sensors automatically when the plug is in. However, when connected to a trailer rather than the caravan and the trailer lights also connected though a 13 pin plug this does not disable the rear parking sensors and reversing the trailer is very noisy.
So lots of possible variables.

Aug 31, 2019
Visit site
I’ve been doing lessons for the B+E and the car had parking sensors. I can confirm they just kept beeping with the trailer on when reversing.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On my 2014 Sante Fe , Automatic, the reversing sensors can be switched off, but are reactivated when you select drive again . The reversing camera sights onto the tow hitch nicely for hitching up.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our parking sensors do not beep when we connect up the caravan. A decent fitter should know how to avoid this.
The rear view camera on the car does still work if reversing the caravan, but as I am not looking at it there is no problem. They are brilliant for hitching though.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Either have factory tow wiring, or select a dedicated system from the likes of PJ Jones. If you fit universal wiring, the reverse sensors start with every selection of reverse until you switch them off completely.
Factory or dedicated systems employ a module that detects a trailer is connected, and switches off the reverse sensors. On BMWs it also cuts the cars fog lights and brake lights, to avoid back glare from the caravan. A revers camera continues to function.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts