Rear view camera. Under caravan?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Does fitting a camera UNDER the caravan work?
The caravan tows slightly nose down.

Also does the CCD perform noticeably better than the CMOS type camera.

Finally can anyone recommend a supplier or system from personal experience.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Hi Ray
I have been using a rear view camera for some years, mounted high on the rear of the caravan I dont quite understand the "under the van" aspect. I have illustrated how I do it on my website under "help and Info"
I have dealt with RoadPro and Conrad Anderson and both have been ok. I probably spent a lot more than others who are more technically savy and no doubt bought thiers for 25 quid on ebay but I am very happy with it.
Regards Dave
www.caravan-europe.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think under the van may be too for 'rear view' although ok for just reversing.
I,m trying a Maplin wireless unit with the camera mounted at about head hight from the road. Transmission into the car is good so long as you leave the front caravan blind up and have the receiver at about steering wheel level, but the screen is small and not very bright. Certainly not very good to use at any speed to detect the nice car with the blue lights tucked right up close behind you.
The camera is pretty wide angle and needs a top shade, or bright sun (I'm in Spain where this happens) just burns out the whole picture.

All in all this experiment has not been very good, but the kit was cheap and I can probably re-use it somewhere

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I have CCTV cameras at home, and from that experience have found that the camera must have the lens shaded.
Hence my thoughts of fitting under the caravan in the shade. My home cameras are under the soffits as far back as possible, with sun shades.(bungalow)?
Also i didn't want the camera roof mounted, as its exposed and seen, same again for on the back, fine until the sun catches the lens.
I'll check out the sites mentioned.
cheers.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ray
two cameras one fitted in rear bumper above tow ball, and one fitted on roof of rear carvavan. great website with friendly advice
http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/epages/es106294.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Categories check this out for bridging the gap from van to car
CAB076_small_plug_and_socket_for_caravan.jpg

Give them a ring, tell them what you are trying to acheive and they will sort it , by the way CCD 100% better that CMOS

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
sorry Ray, forgot to mention, no point fitting camera under rear of caravan, it would soon get muddy and the view would be of the front of the car behind, far better having view looking down ond out. if you buy a 150 degree camera you get a great rear view of the whole road.

I run the cable from the camera in the off side awning rail. can't see it

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ray I've installed a rearview camera system from www.parkingcameras.com (in Ramsgate) Very helpful website (and people at the end of the phone!). My caravan is a Bailey Senator California and the camera is hung (only whilst towing) from the rear washroom window. The monitor clips over the interior rearview mirror. If you (or any other forum member) want details I'm happy for the moderator to give out me email address. I sent details into the magazine over a month ago for "readers workshop" but have had no reply......
Mike

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I got mine from parking cameras as well,I have one under bumper of work van which always picks up spray but it would be easily damaged on roof by ladders etc.On my caravan it is on roof and stays very clean,its also pretty secure being so high up.Most monitors have two inputs and parkingcameras sell a sony camera with two lenses,one for reversing and one for rear view driving,you swap inputs with touch button on monitor.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Pal suggested this to me after he'd bought one after seeing a post here a couple of years go.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/in-car-2.4ghz-wireless-reversing-camera-with-colour-screen-224282

Does everything I want and more, mount is via 'Scotch' dual lock. Position of camera is centre back of caravan which is just under edge of rear window on our van, giving panoramic view for reversing and for rear view and passing traffic and overataking manouvres.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Caravan%202010

Caravan%202010

Ray,
I originally had my rearview camera looking out through the rear window - found I got lots of reflections and at night it was 'washed out' by the led's reflecting - have now used plastic card and double sided tape on the rear of the van - found I could run the cable throgh the rear window and still close it (I didn't want to drill any holes) - works perfectly !
"
NYorksJuly2010071.jpg

<a href="
NYorksJuly2010001.jpg
NYorksJuly2010068.jpg
1JPG.jpg
"
I too used reversing cameras .co.uk (via flea bay)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Good photos john.
I bought this Sony twin this morning.

http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/product.php?productid=161&cat=19&page=1

I thought reflections could be a problem, but no one had said so, so thanks for that.
I could try outside the window, but am thinking it may be better on the roof.
But will experiment for the best view.
I would like to have the camera permanently on while on site, so have concerns about a £100 camera being borrowed. If left just hanging out of the window, we use Cl's a lot.

I looked at flea bay and was tempted, but the Sony i have bought comes with 480TVL, i couldn't see any of those on that site?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Good photos john.
I bought this Sony twin this morning.

http://www.parkingcameras.com/store/product.php?productid=161&cat=19&page=1

I thought reflections could be a problem, but no one had said so, so thanks for that.
I could try outside the window, but am thinking it may be better on the roof.
But will experiment for the best view.
I would like to have the camera permanently on while on site, so have concerns about a £100 camera being borrowed. If left just hanging out of the window, we use Cl's a lot.

I looked at flea bay and was tempted, but the Sony i have bought comes with 480TVL, i couldn't see any of those on that site?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
JohnnyV said:
Don't know what I did wrong this time - copied and pasted HTML code it has always worked previously
Dare I try again - no !
You had tried to upload the entire album in one go Johnny.
I edited the link text in your earlier reply just to show individual pictures instead. To do this just copy either the direct link or the HTML code of each indvidual picture, click on the rectangle with the tree picture in the reply box and enter the picture url into the image url box which appears and click on 'Insert'.
Save your message and the picture will be shown. For multiple pictures simply repeat the process for each picture using the same reply panel.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Parksy - I thought that was exactly what I had done (obviously not) - people like me should not be allowed loose ner technology - pass the 4lb Lump Hammer !

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i have a reversing camera fitted to the rear of my transit, it came with stereo upgrade that i had fitted and works really well. it a ccd type and is fitted between the tow bar and mumper so its well protected from loading knocks etc, ive never had a problem with spray or dirt to be honest.
one thing to remember is that it is actually illegal for the driver to be able to see "moving" images on a screen whilst the vehicle is in forward motion with the handbrake off. if the boys in blue see your display you may get a fine.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Icemaker said:
i one thing to remember is that it is actually illegal for the driver to be able to see "moving" images on a screen whilst the vehicle is in forward motion with the handbrake off. if the boys in blue see your display you may get a fine.

ER pardon?? could you explain that one please Icemaker. I have been looking at rearview cameras for a while now and never heard of that one. and what about sat navs they have a moving screen. or have I got the wrong end of the stick advice would be wellcome as I nearly bought a set up from makro that was on sale last week.
thanks colin

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
Icemaker said:
i one thing to remember is that it is actually illegal for the driver to be able to see "moving" images on a screen whilst the vehicle is in forward motion with the handbrake off. if the boys in blue see your display you may get a fine.

ER pardon?? could you explain that one please Icemaker. I have been looking at rearview cameras for a while now and never heard of that one. and what about sat navs they have a moving screen. or have I got the wrong end of the stick advice would be wellcome as I nearly bought a set up from makro that was on sale last week.
thanks colin
it was actually brought in to stop people watching tv and video in the car whilst it was in motion, my stereo system is a full cd/dvd/sat nav/ mp3 and hands free kit so it came with all the wiring to comply with the law. the dvd screen will go off as soon as i take off the handbrake and the rear view camera will only work when reverse gear is selected. as far as im aware sat navs are classed as animated and not true video so unless the law just uses its discretion they must be ok. i have the stereo book in front of me now and it clearly shows on the wiring that the orange lead must be connected to the handbrake on warning light wiring, its a negative conection looking at it.
a good friend of mine has the ford fitted reversing camera on his transit and that also only comes on in reverse.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
thanks
it looks like I saved a few quid not bothering I dont need one just to be able to reverse the van. pity that. As the idea of having a rear view when the interior mirror is obcured by the van seemed a good idea, towing mirrors have blind spots no matter how good they are
colin

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s a new one on me but very interesting as for the past couple of years I have been fitting cameras to the mirror housing on 8 wheel tipper trucks to give a view along the nearside of the vehicle when moving forward. The same make of vehicle (leading truck manufacturer) can also be specified to be delivered from the factory having the reversing camera wired through a switch for permanent operation.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i found an interesting discussion thread on this very subject one of the guys in the know posted this message: "The relevent regualations for vehicles is Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 Regulation 109, which clearly relates to "Television Sets." I will leave the definition of a "Television Set" to others to discuss!

Under Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a road if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television screen showing anything other than information:

about the state of the vehicle or equipment;
about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;
to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle;
to assist the driver to reach his destination."
the link to the full discussion is ; http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-10687.html

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Under that Regulation 109, the line:"To assist the driver to see the road adjacent to his vehicle" seems to me to sum up what a rear-view camera is all about. After all, "adjacent" covers all parts of the road, including that part immediately behind the vehicle (and, by implication, the vehicles on it). You are not supposed to do what I can do, which is to look at the CCTV camera images (garage forecourts, shop interiors, home security ) which appear on my "spare" wireless channel if I select it while driving. (I only do it when parked, honestly!) Actually, I have a wired camera on the back of my tow vehicle, plus a wireless receiver in the rear offside; the caravan camera is wired to a transmitter fitted in the offside of the front locker 5 feet from the receiver, so no connection problems, and no wireless interference over the 35 feet from camera to monitor. I can select the appropriate input on the monitor. External CCTV signals are too weak to overcome the caravan transmitter when it is switched on (remote switch, not in gas bottle locker).

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
from wiki,

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Adjacent is an adjective meaning contiguous, adjoining or abutting
In geometry, adjacent is when sides meet to make an angle.
In graph theory adjacent nodes in a graph are linked by an edge.
In trigonometry the adjacent side of a right-angled triangle is the cathetus next to the angle in question.
I always believed adjacent to mean at the side, front and rear are self explanatory, when buying a house for example they will state "front and rear gardens" and "adjacent propertys" ive never heard the word used to describe the front or rear.
At the end of the day if it where legal to use these devises at all times when the vehicle was in motion then Surely the manufacturers would not waste time and money fitting disabling devices to them when fitted !.
37px-Wiktionary-logo-en.svg.png
Look up adjacent in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts