Rear view Camera

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Just fitted this camera. To 4.2 M car and 6m caravan.

Not road tested yet but quality seems good from my backyard tests. I've velcro camera to rear window blind handle, so inside. Power from readingl light circuit.
Monitor mount is suction cup to inside of windscreen. Easy to unclip from mount so don't need to remove mount from windscreen.

I did quick check of reception range by powering off gel cell. Hooked car up to caravan and placed camera transmitter in exact location I was going to mount it.

While it should be useful for reversing more important use is to see how many cars I'm holding up.
Should be good, £260 mines was only £100 and didn't have to wire in the camera, plug and play.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know you're WRONG, how can you comment, critisize on something you don't own or have any experience of. I rest my case .
In case you misunderstood my post at NO time did I critise the location of your camera. Anyway how can you comment on the difference if you have not had it installed higher up? :unsure:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Out of interest, cameras can come in two major types, reversing (wide angle ) and rear view (a narrower angle). People do use the wrong camera for their function with some success. But the ideal is a camera that is switchable between two lenses.

1722425346969.jpeg

Just bear in mind that a reversing camera usually has a wide angle lens - typically 120 degrees, whereas a rear-view camera needs to be about 60 degrees.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If it happens to be different from yours, don't get confrontational... explain why you believe you're correct.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
So is it all solar rechargeable and how did you mount the camera? I quite like the look of that one.
Mines is stuck behind number plate with sticky things,plenty of them. Have used van about 5 times and covered about 2000 miles and it hasn't budged. There's a little grub screw on the bracket which enables you to remove camera from the mounting if you wish, but I just leave it on. My van is south facing, so rain or shine it's always getting charged.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Mines is stuck behind number plate with sticky things,plenty of them. Have used van about 5 times and covered about 2000 miles and it hasn't budged. There's a little grub screw on the bracket which enables you to remove camera from the mounting if you wish, but I just leave it on. My van is south facing, so rain or shine it's always getting charged.
Thanks for that, I have to reverse up our cul-de-sac and a camera will just give a bit of extra vision as well as the mirrors

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Arrived an hour ago, fitted, tested, works a treat, all for £84. Fitted the camera on the underside of the rear panel and seems okay, if not I’ll mount it above the numberplate between the number plate lights.IMG_8858.jpeg

IMG_8859.jpegIMG_8857.jpeg

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Arrived an hour ago, fitted, tested, works a treat, all for £84. Fitted the camera on the underside of the rear panel and seems okay, if not I’ll mount it above the numberplate between the number plate lights.View attachment 7370

View attachment 7372View attachment 7371
Great Garry, you will find that the 120 seconds screen on time is more than ample to complete overtaking manoeuvres. Happy and safe towing.

Reactions: GaryB
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My personal opinion is that a rear view camera needs to be at least as high off the ground as your towcars rearview mirror, thats in order to get a decent view of the traffic, rather than just seeing whats the first vehicle that's behind you.

If mounted very low down (number plate or lower) then all you get to see is the radiator grille of the first following vehicle (before anyone asks yes I have tried a number plate mounted rear view camera, and didn't like the restricted view it provided)

My wireless rear view camera is mounted where many caravans have their high level brake light. I get an excellent view back down the road, which is what I want from a rear view camera, and it gives me a constant picture.

But it did cost about 3 times as much as the one mentioned earlier.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
It might well be too low but the lense can pivot so I might be able to fine tune it. If not I’ll move it higher but it’s difficult to tell until I pull the caravan forward as currently it’s only a metre from the house.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Pivoting the lens will only alter the angle of view, not the distance it can "see"

Think how far you, as an adult pedestrian, can see down the road if you wish to cross it and there are parked cars in your line of sight. Then compare that with how far a toddler, with a much lower viewpoint, will be able to see. You can see over the parked cars, a toddler cannot see through them.

The height of the camera has an identical impact on how far it can "see" back down the road behind you. Hence my comment about a (rear view) camera needing to be at least has high as a towcars rearview mirror.

A reversing camera (useless as a rearview due to its 120⁰ angle of view and distortion of far distance) can be at any height as it only needs to "see" about 10-15 feet.

Again, a personal opinion, but one of practical experience honed from trying various "rearview" camera set-ups on mostly motorhomes prior to changing to caravans. One thing that became very obvious (to me) very quickly is that a small screen, such as as a mobile phone, gives an image that is too small to be off much use

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts