Rear View Cameras & Reversing Cameras

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When towing the caravan, I feel like I am monitoring an aircraft system. The Caravan rear view monitor, the TyrePal monitor the Caravan SatNav, side Mirrors, extended mirrors, the Dash Cam speed limit, then the car instruments.
Monitoring the road ahead, and what the Muppets around you might do.
Oh the joys of a cold cider when you get on site.

Reactions: Kingsley
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I would expect that to be technically possible.
Not sure about the cost. ICE Technicians can be relatively expensive.
Great for a reversing camera that only uses the monitor when reversing.
Not so good for a rear view camera that is being used all the time.
It would be monopolising the monitor and presumably preventing viewing and or access to the other ICE functions - unless the clever ICE Technician could find a way round that.
I like the idea in principle - use the existing monitor - no need for a new one.
As a rear view camera, the obvious place for the screen is on the interior mirror, as some kits do - since the interior nmirror is useless when towing (most) caravans, this would work fine - as said, it's not practical to use the built-in screen in normal forward motion.

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
As a rear view camera, the obvious place for the screen is on the interior mirror, as some kits do - since the interior nmirror is useless when towing (most) caravans, this would work fine - as said, it's not practical to use the built-in screen in normal forward motion.
Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would expect that to be technically possible.
Not sure about the cost. ICE Technicians can be relatively expensive.
Great for a reversing camera that only uses the monitor when reversing.
Not so good for a rear view camera that is being used all the time.
It would be monopolising the monitor and presumably preventing viewing and or access to the other ICE functions - unless the clever ICE Technician could find a way round that.
I like the idea in principle - use the existing monitor - no need for a new one.
A very valid point. That's why I like the idea of using a mobile phone as a monitor best. If one could clip it over the existing inside rear view mirror it would be fairly obvious that it wouldn't be used for any other purpose and that should satisfy even the most zealous police in the event of a check.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A very valid point. That's why I like the idea of using a mobile phone as a monitor best. If one could clip it over the existing inside rear view mirror it would be fairly obvious that it wouldn't be used for any other purpose and that should satisfy even the most zealous police in the event of a check.
There is Esicam and others that work with a mobile but cannot vouch for performance.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was last there in 2015. In the arcaded main square, between every arch, there is a plaque to the dozens of famous individuals who have been featured throughout Spanish history. When I was last there I found in a corner, the memorial to Franco (showing signs of cleaned-up graffiti). Now that his tomb has been removed from the Valley of the Fallen and his remains placed in some obscure cemetery, I've often wondered if they've disposed of his profile in the square.

View attachment 4059 View attachment 4060
Sound like very good history to explore further

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Never had a rear view camera on the caravan although I have often thought it was a good idea, Personally I never reverse without having someone make sure the area behind is clear as the blind spot is just too large.
We have a factory fit reversing camera on the car though and would thoroughly recommend this. It is great for reversing into parking spaces and on our narrow drive and means you can normally just drive under the hitch without help. The sun can affect this though.
My new car got a reversing camera and that going to be a new experience that i am looking forward to (y)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
My new car got a reversing camera and that going to be a new experience that i am looking forward to (y)
Had that on our last two cars. I love it and I can reverse almost millimeter perfect, handy with a big car like the Santa Fe, but my wife hates using the reverse camera, "doesn't trust it 🤷‍♀️ "

The tiguan and now the santa fe also park themselves , which I do find unnerving , have only used that feature a couple of times to test it, unfortunately neither car would un-park itself after getting you into a crazily tight space :rolleyes:

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Had that on our last two cars. I love it and I can reverse almost millimeter perfect, handy with a big car like the Santa Fe, but my wife hates using the reverse camera, "doesn't trust it 🤷‍♀️ "

The tiguan and now the santa fe also park themselves , which I do find unnerving , have only used that feature a couple of times to test it, unfortunately neither car would un-park itself after getting you into a crazily tight space :rolleyes:
A very handy option to have

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a set of Walkie Talkies, that we use for reversing on to pitch, getting the van up the ramp without shouting at each other. I can always ignore the wife when needed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a set of Walkie Talkies, that we use for reversing on to pitch, getting the van up the ramp without shouting at each other. I can always ignore the wife when needed.
I'm not sure Walkie Talkies are the best thing to use, as generally its simplex only allowing one unit to transmit at a time, which could mean the driver may be using the push to talk button when the "banksman" is trying to tell you stop! but you can't hear it becasue the push to talk button is pressed. A mobile phone that allows duplex communications is a safer bet.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure Walkie Talkies are the best thing to use, as generally its simplex only allowing one unit to transmit at a time, which could mean the driver may be using the push to talk button when the "banksman" is trying to tell you stop! but you can't hear it becasue the push to talk button is pressed. A mobile phone that allows duplex communications is a safer bet.
I would agree. Possibly if you have a problem reversing a motor mover should solve that.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i use my motor mover it a lot easier for putting the caravan on a pitch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My car doesn't have a reversing camera so I've been looking for a cheap way to do this using two mobile phones.

There are a number of Baby Monitor apps that allow two phones to be linked so that you can use the camera on one to send the image to the other.

I've been playing with one app called Babycam (Google Play Store) its free if you don't mind the ads but for about £2.50 you can pay to get rid of them.

It works reasonably well but performance will depend on the two phones or tablets that your using. One of the old phones I have has some lag but the newer ones aren't too bad.

You don't need a network/internet connection because it can run with Wifi Direct.

So the idea would be to get the co-pilot to stand at the back with the Baby phone and then I could see the Parent view on my phone in the car. 'Cos if its raining there may be some reluctance on the co-pilots part to get out.

Not sure yet how well I'll get on with this and I don't have a real reversing camera to compare it with. Some reviews of those also talk about lag.

I may try some other apps when I come across them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would agree. Possibly if you have a problem reversing a motor mover should solve that.
I should have said we use the system, for when I am reversing up a ramp to level the caravan laterally. The wife being inside the van watching the spirit level.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
There is Esicam and others that work with a mobile but cannot vouch for performance.

I have read all these posts and I am still in wanting a recommendation for a wireless rear view (not just reversing) camera to transmit to my iPhone. I don’t want to use data continuously so it needs to be without Internet, or use Bluetooth. I haven’t seen anyone confirm that the Bluetooth will do the distance from the back of the car. I don’t want battery camera as I’ll pick up 12 v supply at rear of van

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have read all these posts and I am still in wanting a recommendation for a wireless rear view (not just reversing) camera to transmit to my iPhone. I don’t want to use data continuously so it needs to be without Internet, or use Bluetooth. I haven’t seen anyone confirm that the Bluetooth will do the distance from the back of the car. I don’t want battery camera as I’ll pick up 12 v supply at rear of van
The Wi-Fi connection that I have between the camera and my mobile doesn’t use any data because although it is wireless it is direct between the two devices. The data provider isn’t in any way involved.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
The Wi-Fi connection that I have between the camera and my mobile doesn’t use any data because although it is wireless it is direct between the two devices. The data provider isn’t in any way involved.
Thank you. That has answered one of my questions, that is to get a wireless one that doesn’t use data. I have not been able to find any Dometic DT 100 so I’m still looking for a suitable camera and app wireless to mobile.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you. That has answered one of my questions, that is to get a wireless one that doesn’t use data. I have not been able to find any Dometic DT 100 so I’m still looking for a suitable camera and app wireless to mobile.
Let us know if you find a good set up and how easy ( or otherwise) it was to fit.
Mel

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I can help with a wireless camera that connects to my iPhone with no data being used (in fact I link to a spare phone without a SIM. However, it is battery operated, which in my opinion is better. You can charge, whilst it is on use if you wish, but my assumption is that it would not be fully waterproof. Battery life is over 6 hours and it mounts magnetically.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W4FKPTT This is quite regularly dropping down in price to £72 or thereabouts.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for information. Camera looks good. I want it for the back of a van like the 4th pic on Amazon.
Is battery life >6 hours in continuous rear vision use or only intermittent reversing?
One reviewer said his horse trailer blocked signal. I presume from pic and comments it works from rear of caravan.
I doubt i can find anywhere magnetic on back of van but I will find a way to attach it, maybe gal. steel plate glued to van at eye height for rear vision.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for information. Camera looks good. I want it for the back of a van like the 4th pic on Amazon.
Is battery life >6 hours in continuous rear vision use or only intermittent reversing?
One reviewer said his horse trailer blocked signal. I presume from pic and comments it works from rear of caravan.
I doubt i can find anywhere magnetic on back of van but I will find a way to attach it, maybe gal. steel plate glued to van at eye height for rear vision.
No problems with signal so far for me. The 6+ hours was a test at home turned on continuously, I got bored and went to bed so it could last longer. I never tow for that length of time, so 6 hours is more than enough for me. I first used it with the velcro supplied, but got nervous, so glued a steel plate at the top of the van, I wanted it out of reach of people.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
No problems with signal so far for me. The 6+ hours was a test at home turned on continuously, I got bored and went to bed so it could last longer. I never tow for that length of time, so 6 hours is more than enough for me. I first used it with the velcro supplied, but got nervous, so glued a steel plate at the top of the van, I wanted it out of reach of people.
That all sounds good thanks, especially the idea to mount high

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts