Reason for CMC deposits!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I came across this in the December newsletter. Hopefully this thread we will not stray too far from the subject matter! The number of late cancellations is quite astounding and has been preventing many people from booking a short break or several and more days. Must have cost the CMC a fortune in lost revenue.

Why is the Club introducing deposits?

Back in 2018, to improve availability for all members, we changed the way we put pitches on sale to enable you to always book at least a year ahead, all year round. This new system has proven very popular, with over one million nights already booked for stays in 2022!

The next step to improving availability is the introduction of deposits coupled with cancellation terms and conditions. This will help address the rise in cancellations, which has been a growing problem that has increased in recent years.
  • In a normal year, we often see over 25% of all bookings being cancelled (that’s over 950,000 cancelled nights...every year!)
  • Of those cancelled nights, over 25% are made within four days of arrival, so it’s very difficult for other members to take advantage of the newly vacant pitches.
  • And it’s not just a small minority of ‘block bookers’ who are cancelling, almost half of all members who make a booking each year make at least one amendment or cancellation too. As you can imagine, a lot of members all cancelling a few times a year soon adds up! After reviewing the market, speaking to members and looking at other campsite providers the best solution to reduce speculative bookings is to introduce a deposit system. This will reduce the number of speculative bookings and create more availability for members.
  • We know plans sometimes do have to change, so if you cancel or amend your booking at least 21 days before arrival, your deposit will be fully refunded. This will give other members enough time to make a new booking and take advantage of the newly available pitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluerocket and Malx
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have no problem with deposits. Should have been done years ago.

In 2020, I had to cancel one 2 night booking due to medical reasons. I did this with about 48 hours to go. I got a phone call from the site manager, very angry that we had not arrived. I suggested he got in touch with the head office as they had not communicated with him.

With the new rules we would loose the deposit, but so be it.

John

Reactions: SteveW77
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have no problem with deposits. Should have been done years ago.

In 2020, I had to cancel one 2 night booking due to medical reasons. I did this with about 48 hours to go. I got a phone call from the site manager, very angry that we had not arrived. I suggested he got in touch with the head office as they had not communicated with him.

With the new rules we would loose the deposit, but so be it.

John
Back in 2018, we had to cancel our Scottish tour due to my health - we notified the sites as soon as practical - once they'd rebooked the pitches they sent the deposits back - that's fair all round - if they hadn't be able to rebook the pitches we'd have accepted the loss of our deposits.

Reactions: Bluerocket
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In May we thought that we would have to travel back from Yorkshire early on account of the dogs being unwell. I tried to rebook our CMHC overnight stop but it was fully booked. So I rang the Site Manager and explained and she was very helpful. She said if we had to leave Yorkshire early she would be able to find us somewhere to park up for the one night stop. I asked about the fact it would be within the cancellation period of the original booking and she said not to worry and would put a note on the booking details. As it was we arrived on the scheduled day and they had even reserved us a pitch adjacent to the dog walking area as with colitis we didn’t want them having accidents on the site road or grass areas. The sit’s staff we’re great.

Re holiday insurance if you have an annual travel and holiday policy it generally covers holidays booked within UK for cancellations due to specified reasons.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
That’s great. We have tried to make a number of lateish CAMC bookings of perhaps 10 days. Weekends are usually full. So much time wasted trying to find a site. Impossible in popular areas.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The thread is about the CAMC taking deposits for their sites and not C&CC who have been taking deposits for their sites many years! CLs and CSs do not belong to the either organisation and it is of no concern to either club whether they take a deposit or not. It is of no interest to anyone which sites a person books as that is why the last thread on CMC deposits was closed!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The thread is about the CAMC taking deposits and not C&CC who have been taking deposits for many years!
Actually i have booked Goatfell Farm in April 2022 that is a CAMC so far not paid a deposit of yet they just took my membership number and my phone

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually i have booked Goatfell Farm in April 2022 that is a CAMC so far not paid a deposit of yet they just took my membership number and my phone
It's CC club sites that are introducing deposits - their 5-van CLs operate to a completely different set of rules where the individual site sets whatever terms and conditions they want.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If it significantly mitigates the "problem" then it will prove the best move the CMC have made in decades.

At over 25% cancelling, after blocking out others, they had no option; the more so with new members discovering that club's membership was pointless, where they found they had no chance of using their newly acquired van or motorhome, at club sites for those dreamed of weekends and school holiday breaks.

Reactions: RogerL and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Please stop posting about where you have booked as that is not what the thread is about!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BB it’s the main CMHC sites that will take deposits for advance bookings. As has been said above CLs operate differently according to the owner. Your comments are a diversion from the thread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive it first time i have been to any CLs, but in the past been some CMHC but cannot remember if i paid a deposit . (thanks for putting me straight on this thread)
BB if you booked at any of the CMHC "Affiliated" sites you may have had to pay deposit. These are privately owned sites that feature in the CMHC booking system, but for them you can't book using the CMHC booking system. The CMHC give the sites contact details and you arrange your booking directly with that site. The link below might clarify.(y)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/uk-sites/affiliated-sites/

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks as though this was inevitable and I hope it will help with availability. I will look at the terms more carefully when they are published though. As someone who has cancelled only twice in almost 35 years in the club, I find the level of cancelations quoted is ridiculous.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks as though this was inevitable and I hope it will help with availability. I will look at the terms more carefully when they are published though. As someone who has cancelled only twice in almost 35 years in the club, I find the level of cancelations quoted is ridiculous.
I only ever cancelled one at Blackhorse Farm in June 2018 when we had to cancel our trip to Europe at short notice. Weather forecasts never caused us a problem as we still enjoyed the home on wheels.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Its not just the weekenders....
The likes of Chatsworth it is . I have no data on the rest. Many were booking numerous weekends on the off chance of going. That was stopped a few years ago by limiting the number of such weekends . Allegedly penalties were put in place to punish the abusers but not sure that ever happened

Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
An eminently sensible move by the CAMC.
The C&CC have taken booking deposits for years on main club sites and it doesn't seem to have negatively affected pitch occupancy.
Hopefully this will finally put a stop to selfish multiple weekend bookings to give all CAMC a fairer chance of booking complete holidays on popular sites.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Although, I find it is a very good move by the CaMC, I find that the main clubs have sites
lots of Cls have been doing this and it's no problem for us , might be able to book a weekend at York Rowntree Park in 2022 now
I don't think so it, folk still over book their Weekends only, so people who want a week or 10 days will not get a look,in.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Dustydog
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Here is a radical thought. A glimmering of an idea, will need many iterations! The longer you intend to stay, the earlier you can book. So, for example, don’t dismiss out of hand.

Length of stay. When bookings open(time before your arrival)
2 weeks +. 12 months
8 to 13 nights. 10 months
5 to 7 nights. 6 months
6 nights 3 m
5 nights. 2m
4. 6 weeks
3 nights. 4 weeeks
1 or 2 nights. 3 w

Software designed so you only see the sites who can accommodate your booking. Software design not specified here!

Give us your good and bad points for this idea? Perhaps reduced prices the more nights you book etc etc

Reactions: Buckman
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
But, the weekenders will just book two week slots! Even worse🤬🤬

If they pay for 14 night and only get 4? No refund. All these little niggles could get worked out if it’s thought through, as you are doing.

Must be worth a bit of a thought .. how to maximise the use of scarce resources .. site pitches

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts