Reasons for taking up caravanning

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure who 'guest blogger' Suzanne Asquith is but she wrote a very entertaining and amusing article on why she and her family bought a caravan. Click Here to read Suzanne's blog

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Brilliant, nearly spill'ed me tea laughing
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh soooo bang on with her observations. Get the PC Mag editors to offer her half a page each month on her experiences ...could open a whole new outlook on the hobby.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
We've given her a page of website to start with. And anyway, there are plenty of you on here who would never read her stuff if it was in the magazine! Not everyone is a magazine reader.

Seriously though, glad you enjoyed Suzanne's piece. We have a few more pieces from her ready to send live over the coming weeks. She is registered on the site as Snufflesmcbaby but has not, as yet, appeared on the forum. I'll tell her she has a fan club and maybe she'll pop by...

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who read and enjoyed my blog. As Nigel says, there's more to come over the coming weeks and hopefully my caravanning experiences and many mishaps will strike a chord with some of you. Surely we've all ended up on a French industrial estate/ red light district whilst looking for Disneyland Paris...

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Great article, by the way! Loved it.
We ended up in a cul-de-sac on an industrial estate in Aix en Provence - and already there was a British caravan. We turned around, so did he, and then we found a 'short-cut' across country to avoid going back the way we came. He followed us, and we were both a bit surprised by the VERY narrow bridge, and then the equally narrow village street with the foot high kerbs at either side! When we got to the other side of the village, they removed the barriers!!!! for us (there was no way we could go back) and there was a procession led by a donkey going down the hill, and we had no alternative but to follow very slowly downhill! At the bottom we both stopped for a bit of a 'Phew that was tough going' - and he got out to say we had looked so confident going out of the industrial estate, that he followed us, but had learned his lesson and wouldn't be following anyone else in future!

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Had a good chuckle reading this! We too were treated with a degree of bewildament by family and friends when we showed off our first caravan. I think some people still think Caravans have gas lights manual water pumps and a bucket outside to relieve yourself in! Amazing the transformation that happens when they see microwave fridge/freezer Alde heating and dvd surround sound! A number of my my friends quite surprisingly have now followed suite but its the lifestyle that appeals to them most!
Jim

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Really enjoyed this too - made me laugh out loud! Perhaps I shouldn't admit to you all that I thought a 3 way tv that we recently bought ran on gas (CRINGE) ... well I didn't know did I???
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
I know a lot of you were fans so here is the link to Suzanne's latest blog - this time on whether you can ever justify leaving a caravan holiday early due to the weather...

SA's blog is here

Enjoy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use to work with a guy, Sorry can't give out this name for a reason because he use to be in a band [Pop group] in the late 1960 till then, He was a great guy to work with, The story he use to tell me what they get up to on the road going to show/ gig ect and it was funny, he was that person that got us in to caravaning, That all he talk about all day he really did p me off caravan this and that,
Told him I hate the dam thing hold up the road ect, So one week we did't know that he booked a site for the weekend when he told me what he done I said NO!!! We are not sleeping on a hard bed ect,
Told the wife what he done, so she said to me well we try it and keep him quiet for a time, So that weekend came off we go he show us how to work thing in the van anything else just ring me,
Off he when home and we start to look around the van see what what, off we go walking for a while came back cup of tea, in the evening BBQ and wine, we had a good day then we said to each other this is better than BB,
Come and go when you like get up when you like, we start to enjoy it, Sunday evening he came with this wife and we said we love it
So he help us to look around for a van we end up with a old Sprite 4 berth so over the years we trade up to a better van,
So really we Thank him and this wife for the life we enjoy today so it been 28 years we been caravaning, Trevor123

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Another highly readable offering from Suzanne.
It reminded me of when I was a boy, our annual holidays were spent on a muddy field with drainage ditches all around in a series of tents because several family members went together during the 'industrial fortnight' which was always the last week in July and the first week in August where we live.
We'd often bump into school classmates, our destination of choice was Great Yarmouth which involved an overnight trip along the A47 from the West Midlands in our overloaded Bedford van, with the steering column mounted 3 speed gears, two piece windscreen and rattly front bumper, which defied all of Dads efforts to tighten it up and stop the rattle.
Nothing on earth could have forced any of us to consider returning early and we'd be out in all weathers, because according to our parents the 'fresh air was good for us!'

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Loads of fantastic lines in this :-D My particular favourites include:
"All it took was a ten minute trawl through Teletext (so long ago that lastminute.com hadn’t even been born), then the ensuing half an hour call to a travel agency based in Croydon where someone on work experience, or perhaps even community service would patiently explain to me why the holiday was no longer available at that remarkably cheap price but there was a similar one for only three times as much provided I could fly out yesterday with thirty four friends."
And, not forgetting:
"I know this because when I gave birth to our first son, a friend of mine bought me a subscription to a (very) upmarket parenting magazine which gave me the best laugh since my husband asked why I don’t wear bikinis anymore."
Great stuff... and now I'm going to read the next one.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Blimey parksy, must have been there at the same time, Last week of July, First week of August for 12 years on the trot. as soon as we hit the A47 at leicester we would be asking dad how much further... we would then arrive at the campsite South Denes caravan park,(is it still there?) right next door to the fair...And we rented the same caravan for the 12 years, from a guy who dad used to work with. First job for me was to go to the camp shop and purchase some gas mantles, they were always missing or torn. the hightlight of the holiday was to see a show at one of the piers and a walk around the model village and if we were really good a night at the fun fair... Ah thoose were the days
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I spent many happy times at the Pleasure Beach ( or funfair) Tony, and remember the model village. We'd usually go to the circus which was in one of the theaters in Yarmouth and we were always sad to pack up the tent and begin the long trek home, especially as the sun was usually scorching hot on the last day.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The latest blog from Suzanne Asquith which bemoans the digital age and the demise of the family photograph album is available Here
Suzanne's blog is always an entertaining read and her comments often strike a chord with forum members who can identify with her past experiences
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts