Recycling

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,
Just got back today from a week away in Whitby, Scarborough and Helmsley. I cannot believe that that in this day and age cararvan parks do not have ( or so it seems ) to recycle or at least provide facilities.

In Scarborough the lady in reception when I asked where to put my bottles, old papers etc replies ' the couvcil wanted too much to provide that facility so we don't bother ' !

In Helmsley there were 6 huge bins just on one part on the site overflowing with nerspapers,empty lager/cider cans, plastic milk and pop bottles as well as all the other rubbish produced on a caravan and camping site. They did have bins for mixed glass but because the others were full people had placed food stuffs and even old tent pegs in them bins.

Now I am no eco warrior, we have good recycling provision at home and as I say to the kids, like it or not it's here to stay!!

It annoys me when some people try their best and others just don't give a stuff.

Laters.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
john, I am one of those who dont give a stuff if you wanna spend you holiday sorting rubbish out then thats up to you, I myself have better things to do with my time. This also applies to when I am at home.
My reason for this is I used to sort out my rubbish and put it in the correct bin but one day last year along came our bin men and emptied both the general rubbish AND the recycle bin into the same wagon. I did contact the local council and was told that the refuse collectors where very busy that week and they could not afford another run just for recycle bin.
So if they dont have time then nor do I.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi DJ.
so you like recycling eh, I know a perfect site for you its on the devon/cornwall border not a large site takes about 10 vans or tents. In a compound at the back of the toilet block they have bins "AND I REALLY MEAN BINS".
theres a green one. for paper.
a yellow one for plastic.
a brown one for cardboard.
a white one for non coloured glass.
a red one for coloured glass.
a blue one for tins "lables removed"
a composter for waste food products
a orange one for dry waste."not suitable for other bins"
a grey one for general rubbish that is "not suitable for other bins"
and a small skip for metal waste other than tins "ie bottle tops ect"
and a box for textiles.
all bottles and tins had to be washed before placing in the bins and cans and tins had to be squashed as well. just taking the rubbish away was a chore in its self. but guess which bin was fullest yep the grey one as most could not be bothered to sort it. however it did have plus side the site was very quiet ummmmm wonder why??

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Some of the worst industries for recycling are building sites they throw absolutely every thing in the skip , and yet they harp on about there energy efficent houses , go to Germany its completely different ,they have different skips for different materials , i think we are just a bit slow here to catch on here

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
The comment from the lady in Scarborough is very relevant. I have heard a number of small site owners complain how much it costs them to have rubbish (recyclyed or not) uplifted and this has to come through in site fees. On a large CC site a short time ago i was amazed to see the cardboard etc that was being left beside the bins. During your stay on site you will surely need to go to a supermarket for shopping, why not take your bottles and papers with you and put them in recycling bins there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts