Redundancy

DMT

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have worked at peugeot for 23years and it looks like this time next year I will be made redundant,it has taken years to work up to a new caravan and 4x4, we love caravaning with our 9 and 12 year olds, my question is has anyone else gone through redundancy and survived, did you have to change career, did you have to give up the caravan etc.What jobs do you do now to pay for the caravaning holidays.

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
Dave

sorry to hear you are being made redundant, I suffered that fate last year. in fact it turned out to be the way I got into caravanning as I got another job after a few months and so had the redundancy money left over and bought a van with some of it. I took a lower level job than I had before, further from home with less money. it was meant to be a stop gap, but I am so chilled now I have less responsibility that we have cut our lifestyle a little and now have less money but a lot less stress.

Hope all goes well in your job search

G

Dave

You have my sympathies. I have been made redundant 3 times in my lifetime, always from American Companies. The funny thing was, there was never anything personal, it was a case of, if there is a market to 'sell' you we keep you, if not we let you go, usually with 28 days notice. My industry was probably more used to that sort of thing happening than possibly yours, although the motor industry has been looking at gloom for a number of years in the UK. Too high costs and cheaper labour markets opening up, you can't win with that one regardless how good you are.

It depends a lot on what your actual training is. If you are a skilled engineer then I suspect you will find better work quite easily, if you are a back room boy on the paperwork side then there is also probably plenty of opportunities. The positive thing is you have a year to do something, unless of course the union boys wreck everything by going on strike. Be aware that may happen and the Plant closes early. Make up a CV and be honest about yourself and see what you can offer a future employer. Look at the market, you may have to consider moving either yourself, or the family. Look at your costs and decide what you can afford to do without. If it includes the van then so be it, you can always buy another. At 23 years service your redundancy will be 23 weeks salary at a minimum so you know what is the likely outcome. Look at getting your wife to work, as I did. It all helps to keep the household going until you get back on your feet.

I am terribly sorry but i would put caravanning at the bottom of my list of priorities. There is always time for that later on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

Sorry to hear of your redundancy - I was made redundant about 20 years ago and was unemployed for 2 years after with a young family and a wife that didn't work. It's REALLY DEMORALISING but try not to take it personally.

I was in a similar position AGAIN only last May when I was "encouraged" from my job as a Primary School Deputy Head after being off sick with work-related stress caused by the Job!!?? At the time I felt very angry as I had been working 70 hours a week to try and do the "blessed" job. My confidence was severely dented. I was concerned that our lifestyle would have to change and particularly that the caravan and 4x4 would have to go

However, I am now working as a supply teacher on a casual daily basis. It does not offer any real security but it helps pay the bills and I earn more than I would probably do by changing career at my age (52). At least most of our kids are independent now or moving in that direction. Whilst I am earning only about 66% of my former wage, no guarantee that even that will continue, and with similar effects on my pension my quality of life is infinitely better. I now just teach the children, which I have always enjoyed, mark the books and go home, early. My evenings and weekends of meetings and paperwork are a thing of the past.

When I go away in the caravan I can actually enjoy it. I often used to end up on holiday sitting in the 'van tapping away on the school laptop!! I may not be as well off but I'm much healthier and much happier. I particularly notice the benefits now that the light nights are with us.

I, also, had time to save money by working on the 'van more myself. Last year I saved a fortune by re-sealing the whole van myself. I, also, did a lot of other little jobs on the 'van although I'm no caravan mechanic. Our usual Continental summer touring was replaced by a tour of Scotland. We, also, try to use cheaper sites. There are some lovely CLs around.

My advice would be to not act hastily regarding getting rid of the 'van. After all it's still one of the cheapest ways to holiday and depreciation isn't that bad. Are you able to do any of the van's servicing yourself?

I know it's hard but try to look on the positive side of things. This could be the opening of a new door for you. Sorry if that sounds trite - it isn't meant to be - a year ago I was depressed and suicidal and it has been a difficult climb back but with the support of my family and friends at my Church I am a happier and wiser, albeit poorer man.

I will remember you in my prayers - my Christian faith has been especially important to me in the last year.

Best wishes and please post again if I can offer any other support.

Tim

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dave, it may seem like your world's going to end but it isn't really.

I got made redundant 4 times starting when Rolls-Royce went spectacularly bust in '71. On the 3rd time, I used my redundancy payment to pay off the mortgage. I was still able to put my son through private school and take early retirement at the age of 52, even though my salary level was barely above average with no other income in the family. The economics of caravan holidays was a significant factor in getting through these difficult times.

Take time to consider what basic skills you have and then consider where they can be used.

Good luck.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Dave, it may seem like your world's going to end but it isn't really.

I got made redundant 4 times starting when Rolls-Royce went spectacularly bust in '71. On the 3rd time, I used my redundancy payment to pay off the mortgage. I was still able to put my son through private school and take early retirement at the age of 52, even though my salary level was barely above average with no other income in the family. The economics of caravan holidays was a significant factor in getting through these difficult times.

Take time to consider what basic skills you have and then consider where they can be used.

Good luck.
HI Dave.

Sorry to hear of your impending redundancey. It is a time of difficult choices.

I have been there firstly ten years ago, as a small business employer who had to tell his 12 strong workforce that the firm was forced to close because a larger company had piled it's debts into the subsiduary we worked for and this was too much for us to cope with. Four years ago, the company I now work for told 160 workers that they would be made redundant and re-employed 18 miles away at their assembly plant on new contracts.

Fortunately I was clued up on employment law and advised them all to say they would take the company to tribunal for "constructive dismissal" which stopped the redundancey ploy but the move went on as planned. You see all of us would of had to apply for those new contracts, a crafty way of weeding out.

In the interim between the closeure of my engineering business ten years ago and starting in the CNC motor industry, I actually went out building chicken sheds for the battery hatcheries. A job I hated but it brought the money in even if it was lodging away for three weeks and home for one weekend. It nearly cost us our marriage and so I got the CNC job.

Even now, just last Febuary, I was again faced with redundancey as ourcompany was laying off 23 people from it's 230 strong work force. They asked for volenteers and as I've got a mortgage and kids I didn't take it. However I'm now thinking of selling the house and either doing a site warden job or going into rented accomodation as then I could take volentary redundancey in September as that is when they predict the next round will be.

Like Roger I've cut my cloth to suit ten years ago loosing the 40K job and the XJ40 and the house in the country, to go to nothing but a van load of furniature and start again. So living in my own caravan will still be better and I can choose the neighbours.

If you need any advise on employment law mail me at steveinleo@hotmail.com

All the best for the future and I hope things work out for you.

Regards.

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave - I took voluntary redundancy twelve months ago at the age of 59 as I felt that the work I was doing was very stressful and as a result I suffered two TIAs. Thankfully my health has returned to normal (apart from being on blood pressure and cholesteral tablets). I received

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have not direct personal experience, but i did work as an outplacement (another fancy word for it) adviser for some time.

Suggest your take up every offer that comes as part of the package- thre will propably be some courses or advice on finances, job seeking etc. Contact any local services shuch as Citizens advice bureau and ask them for contacts for such courses.

Compose you CV but keep it brief - no more than one side of A4 and get it printed on a computer, check the spelling, start with last job first - noone is particularly interested in what you did at primary school.

Avoid "self justifying" phrases like "reliable" and "honest". I'm sure you are both, but no-one is going to say they are not.

Put in a bit about hobbies but not too much, just enough to show you are a rounded person.

When you send in the CV the person reading it will probably have about 200 others, so you need to get and hold his/her attention. Use "bullet points" if you think it looks better.

The purpose of the CV is NOT to get the job, it is to get the interview.

Don't be discouraged by saying "I'm only a ......". We used a sheet headed I'm only a waiter, on which we analysed the skills of a really good waiter - and then suggested those who said e.g. "but I'm only a clerk" did the same. you will be agreeably surprised on what you do actually know and can do.

You do have a job right now. It's finding another one, and you need to be methodical and plan and allocate time. Use all the contacts you have - more than you think. We called it the "Christmas card list" Go through this list and think if there is anyone on it who may give you a lead, who is in another industry, who runs something etc. and contact them.

Consider a part time job to fill in. Not only will this help financially it will indicate to a potential employer that you are serious and prepared to take action. It is established that finding a job becomes progressively harder the longer you have been unemployed, so don't be too fussy, think "why not" rathe than "why".

Find all sources of possible jobs, internet, job centres, trade magazines etc. and just write some direct unsolicited letters to likely em,ployers. Address them to the Head of whichever function you happen to be skilled in - not to the HR or Personnel Department. Do not expect too many replies, but hey - it only takes one.

Sorry I can't give you more but hope this will help.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave, I was made redundant last June after 20 years as a maintenance engineer with a large American company and suffered a rather delayed reaction.

At first I was glad to get out of the place and had the summer off, touring in the van but as time went on I found myself worrying about what I was going to do, as jobs in my field were quite scarce.

What I did find when I eventually started to find work, that it was hard to settle into somewhere new after 20 years in the one place and had three jobs in the space of 7 weeks, resigning from them all none of them suitable.

I have now turned self employed doing short term contracts through agencies and have also recently passed HGV class 1 which although the wages are less it's something I enjoy doing,

good luck

Roy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

Sorry to hear your news - must be difficult watching the Peugeot adds on the telly. Seems about as tactful as an air-raid.

A lot of good sensible advice given above.

I would only add that seeking advice from the CAB on how to deal with your mortgage payments etc would be a good idea.

Many plans have payment "holiday" facilities. If not then you can ask to pay just the interest for a while - but do be careful - watch out as some providers will simply add the "saving" onto to your loan. MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT DO THIS.

Others will say you cannot as you will need to apply for a new mortgage etc. If they say this - ask them to put in writing - they will not.

Most lenders are pretty good if you tell them up front. Others can be real sods and seem quite happy to pile even more problems on you and sit back watch you struggle.

If things get difficult make sure that you make some payments each month. Doing this means that you are protected. The very WORST thing you can do is put your head in the sand and try to muddle through. Keep all informed - the CAB will have a check list of all that you can do.

The CAB is very good - they have standard letters that they can let you have to ensure that the lenders follow the rules.

Best of luck and if you follow what Ray suggests above (damned good advice) you will be giving yourself the very best chance possible.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi dave, my partner worked as a temp at jaguar in coventry about 3 years ago.just before the 12 months was up he was made redundant.you do get used to the money but you just learn to survive.its easier now than it was years ago at least now theres working tax credit and child tax credit if you didnt know about them.

4 years ago in march 2002 we had a premature baby that was born 14 weeks early and weighed 14oz.he was in intensive care 4 11 weeks, the first 4 weeks of that was in a hospital 120 miles away so we lived away from home for 4 weeks then he moved to our local hospital for a futher 4 months.he had every infection going including mrsa but he pulled through.he is very small for a 4 year old he wears 12-18 month old clothes.

then in may 2002 we found out our 12 year old had been diagnised with the wrong epilepsy and given him wrong drugs buy a consultant.these drugs were overdosing him and made him like a zombie he now has a learning age of a six year old.we have a panel hearing for this shortly.thats why we bought our 1st caravan brand new in oct 05 to give the boys lots of holidays and quality time.

we take each day at a time but we know there are worse people going through a lot more than us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave, you have my profound sympathy. In 1987, we bought a brand new caravan and had three years of wonderful holidays with our four children. Then, at the end of 1989, my husband was made redundant, for the third time in nine years, and as you may recall, at that time, it could take a very long time to find another job. In his case it took nine months. We hung on to the caravan as long as we could, but in the end we had no alternative but to sell it.

Because by then we were reluctant to give up our getaways all together, we bought a cheap second-hand trailer tent and over the next seven years, went all over Europe and the UK with that, despite the protest of our children that - horror of horrors! it was orange!. Eventually, in 1997, we began to feel a little more confident about our finances and bought a second-hand caravan. This has since been replaced by a newer, but still secondhand caravan. The level of enjoyment we have had from our holidays has not really been affected by the outfit we were using at the time - it has always been fun!

I can understand that you may feel bitter about possibly losing the things you have worked so hard for - I certainly did. But, my point is, it is still possible to get a lot of pleasure from our hobby without the very latest equipment. If you have to downshift a little, or even a lot, it is a shame, but don't let it stop you enjoying yourself.

I sincerely hope something good comes along for you soon. I know the misery caused by redundancy all to well, and I would not wish it upon anyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts