remapping of alhambra has made a difference..

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
firstly thank you to all who offered advice when thinking of getting our alhambra chipped or remapped or more torc or whatever!!

We cant believe the difference it makes to towing our bailey pageant, definately feels lighter with much better take off. Just one question though, we are kicking out alot of black smoke, not sure if its just more noticeable against the white of the caravan or does it have to do with having more bhp now (we never noticed this before)

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Its running rich, this could be something as simple as a

dirty air filter element, or could be to do with the remap.

I believe that your remap was done by SEAT? really should be OK

if its just a little rich, but if you are seeing alot of black

smoke when not towing then really its too rich, or you have built

up alot of soot in the entire exhaust system over a long time,

which is now being forced out.

lastly a faulty egr valve. what year and what mileage is your SEAT.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Black smoke (from a diesel engine) is a sign over-fuelling.

After "chipping" black smoke means that the changes to the fuel program are not fully optimised. This is most common with a "Plug-in box" that sits between the car ECU and the fuel system.

Since these plug-in boxes can't affect the program inside the ECU, they work by telling the injectors to open longer - putting more fuel into the engine. If you have this type, then the settings need to be changed (usually switches) to reduce the amount of extra fuel. But a small amount of extra black smoke is a characteristic of these plug-in devices.

If they really did a remap (by re-programming the car ECU - actually they download a new set of parameters) then it shouldn't smoke at all (or no more than it did before) and should still comply with emission control requirements. But as it does smoke, then the re-map needs to be optimised better for your engine.

Robert

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Did you get a re-map or a plug in box?

If it was a box what make or where did you get it?

Most boxes have some form of adjustment and it is easy to set it to work correctly. The one I have has loads of adjustment and if it has been set too high you actually loose power over the optimum setting.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Did you get a re-map or a plug in box?

If it was a box what make or where did you get it?

Most boxes have some form of adjustment and it is easy to set it to work correctly. The one I have has loads of adjustment and if it has been set too high you actually loose power over the optimum setting.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Brenda, don't worry about it smoking a little more than you are used to, as you are probably aware i have a re map module for my alhambra and when the car is re programmed for the higher output it does tend to give out a fair bit more black smoke but only when it is working quite hard, at all other times it is just as clean as normal. you will notice the smoke a lot more when towing.

My dms module does upload a new programe to the cars ecu and i took it back to the suplier becouse of the smoke the car was tested and all was well allthough i do not think it would pass the mot when it is due so i will have to re map the car back to standard which my module allows me to do when the mot is due.

One thing i have done is to replace the cars air filter with a K & N performance filter, yes i know before any one jumps down my throat that these can cause air flow meter failures but the advantages far outweigh this minor issue, i get better air flow so less smoke (although it is still noticable)better still mpg and it has eliminated the turbo pipe calapse problem that seems to effect the tdi engine that has been modified.

Like me you have had the modification for towing not for racing around the streets so i would not worry too much unless it becomes a problem at the mot stage, if it does then just get the seat dealer who fitted the mod to mot the car, they did the work in the first place.

On another point i have taken to changing the oil in my car every 6 thousand miles due to the fact that it is modified and it spends over 50% of its time towing the engine allways seems far quieter and smoother once the oil is changed, i know at

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Icemaker

We have one of the plug in modules (resistor) and get some smoking when working hard as you comment.

I meant to take the module off for the MOT but forgot and it passed with flying colours, so in your shoes I would risk the cost of an MOT before paying for 2 remaps.

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Another possible cause, is the car could have only been used for short town runs before you brought it causing it to `clog up` slightly.

We brought a TDi Galaxy, and that smoked like a chimny until adding a fuel injection treatment to the fuel. After running a full tank of diesel through it with the treatment, it has cut the smoke down by over 2/3rds.

I fitted a tuning module to ours last week, and found if the car is over fueling, the glow plug warning light will flash whilst driving and it`ll kick out loads of black smoke (this happened to me when I first fitted the module and didnt adjust it properly).

If your glow plug light isnt flashing, I`d try running a fuel treatment through it. Wait until you have 1/2 tank of diesel, put the additive in the tank, then fill up with diesel.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi garry, the module that i have is made by a company called DMS it is basically a mini computer that plugs in to the diagnostics socket and uploads a performance map to the cars ecu, i then unplug the module and run the car in the modified state.

If i ever wish to return the car to its original settings i just plug the module back in select standard and it uploads the original map back to the ecu. I can perform this as many times as i wish as the module and software are mine and unique to my car, this is why i said i would return the car to standard for the mot when it is due in a few years.

The DMS modules are expensive at round about

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi garry, the module that i have is made by a company called DMS it is basically a mini computer that plugs in to the diagnostics socket and uploads a performance map to the cars ecu, i then unplug the module and run the car in the modified state.

If i ever wish to return the car to its original settings i just plug the module back in select standard and it uploads the original map back to the ecu. I can perform this as many times as i wish as the module and software are mine and unique to my car, this is why i said i would return the car to standard for the mot when it is due in a few years.

The DMS modules are expensive at round about

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hello Brenda,if your that worried take the car for a volantary smoke test at an mot station.but your allowed 3.0% for a turbo charged diesel engine,which is a hell of a lot of black smoke.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Ive just had a power up-grade fitted to my new Renault Espace. It takes the BHP from 175 to a whopping 207 and 437 NM of torque.

It now goes like s

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts