Removeable Towbar Question.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Morning all.
Yesterday, I was going through my routine of checking my caravan over before my forthcoming trip. This includes checking the tightness of the wheel bolts with a torque wrench and the general condition of the removable tow bar and its receiver. As I was setting the torque wrench I remembered that as per the instructions I always undo the torque adjustment mechanism so there was no tension on the device while it's not in use. I also own a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting. When I put it away I always decock it to release the load on the firing pin springs because one of the reasons springs lose their tension over time is if they are kept under load.
This brings me to the removable towbar which has a spring-loaded mechanism which triggers when it's inserted into the receiver locking it in place. When the towbar is removed from the receiver by twisting the release mechanism the spring is put back under tension and that is how it goes into the storage bag. It then occurred to me that maybe the spring should be released prior to being put away to rest the spring and maintain its tension. I have had several removable towbars over the years and nothing has ever been mentioned about releasing the tension when not in use and I can't find anything online. Maybe though, the spring mechanism is purely to set the locking pins in place and not critical to keeping the towbar secure in the receiver.
Thoughts please.
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not aware of any long term problems, so it's probably nothing to be worried about. But if you can release the tension whilst in storage and it does not compromise any of the parts then I'm sure it won't do any harm, and it might just prolong the working life and reliability hitch a little bit.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
The OP asked for thoughts, I gave mine.

Life's too short to worry about infinitesimaly small possibilities such as this.
Indeed, and I responded to your curt reply with equal curtness, the use of an exclamation mark is what irritated me. I'm not worrying at all about this, it was something that crossed my mind, that's all.
The problem with forums or anywhere where communication is simply achieved by the written word, the tone or the sentiment behind a message cannot be determined and is often misinterpreted.
I'm sure you didn't intend to be curt or dismissive and I may have overreacted for which I apologise.
So, let's keep it friendly and move on.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I certainly had no intention of wanting to appear curt, It was meant as a bit of a (semi) tongue in cheek comment, so apologies if it came across differently.

Reactions: Paullus1959
May 10, 2020
Visit site
As for your reference to your guns firing pin springs…… releasing tension on those will put tension on the ejector springs so one way or the other you will still have tensioned springs within the action.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts