RENAULT SCENIC DCI

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! eddie never towed with the scenic but towed with the laguna but had a hard job getting any towing weights or nose weights for any renault they were very reluctant to tell me anything about towing why i do,nt know. but towed with the laguna 1.9 diesel a Bailey ranger 460/4 1195kg very well (hatchback ) same engine as the scenic i thing laguna was on 02 plate

hope this is of any use to you

cheers Duggie

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Eddie, before yo ueventhink about a Renault,do some serious research first.

They have major clutch issues when towing, or more precisely when reversing, towball limit is very low.

Having just crushed a Grand Espace due to its total unreliability and huge spares costs, I would definately NOT get another renault ever.

Save a lot of money and wasted time waiting for tow trucks and look at the Kia range.

I have just got a 2004 Sedona for under

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
A months use is hardly a reflection of its reliability, or of that models reliability overall.

I would always refer to owner reviews whose ownership has spanned 12 months minimum. All cars have problems, just look at whatcar reader reviews, virtually all models have problematic cars.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "A months use is hardly a reflection of its reliability, or of that models reliability overall."

In comparison to the Renault it is exceptionally good.

Even from brand new out of the showroom, the Renaut only managed 5 days before having to be towed in after the fuel filter split,,,,to be followed by 17 primary fuel pumps, high pressure system, digital dash, auxillairy belts(many) power steering pump, injectors and the list goes on (32 tow ins in 7 years),well it would but the scrapyard crusher has ended that particular cars misery.

I would agree that every car can have problems, but Renault have more than most, in fact only being beaten to last place in the "most unreliable list"(JD Power) by Land Rover

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have actually towed with 3 Renault Scenic diesels and have nothing but praise for them, apart from the middle one which was underpowered. (Later models have 130bhp against 105bhp.) My current one is nearly 4 years old and the only defect that put it off the road for 2 days was the need to replace the clutch master cylinder. This compares very well with other makes that I have owned, including a Mitsubishi. My local Renault agent has always been very helpful and efficient, if a bit pricey. Now that my car is out of warranty I use my local garage which has made a big difference to servicing costs.

I now tow a Lunar Zenith 4 and before that a Bailey Ranger. The car averages almost 50mpg on a decent run, about 40mpg around town and the low 30's when towing. It is also very comfortable.

I would criticize Renault's unhelpful attitude towards providing towing data, and the best advice I got was from a mechanic who told me to use my common sense.

I know that Renault does not have a good name for reliability but sometimes wonder how the statistics might be skewed because of the sheer number of Renaults about. I can only relate my own experiences.

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Eddie, we bought a direct import Grand Scenic 1.9 diesel in early 2008 with no expectation of vanning at the time - wife's Fiesta was 10 and couldn't take a crate for the newly acquired dog. Early this year bought a Pageant Bordeaux to be in line with the 85% recommended limit, accordingly. The scenic always had a dull spot at low revs and take off which caused me to stall occasionally made worse when towing so I decided after much deliberation to have the engine chipped by Evolution. (Please lets not start another thread on the why and wherefores of this activity but all I can say it was the best thing I did.) No more risk of stalling at roundabouts or having the thrash it on take-off with associated smell of burning clutch. Plus always over 50 mpg on a full tank on combined cycle and 30mpg when towing. Took Evolution a second tweak to get it right though but they did a great job.

We've found the Scenic a very comfortable car, competent for towing after chipping, has plenty of space for cooler box, dog crate and associated camping detritous. Also easy access for elderly parents the additional seating is a bonus but used only twice in two years.

However we've learned a lot in just a year of vanning and appreciate the value of rear or 4 wheel drive so now also have a Santa Fe which will tow any van we inevitably upgrade to, is soooo much easier to drive being auto and a godsend in weather like we have at present.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Avoid like the plague!

We had a 2005 Scenic 1.9dci from new. It didn't tow too badly, but in the 3 years that we owned it, it had to make more than 30 trips to the dealer to have faults sorted out.

Brakes, electric mirrors, airbags, parking brake, heater, you name it, it went wrong. This was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. Don't just take my word for it - have a look at the reviews on What Car website.

I will never ever buy a Renault again.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
why is it that when someone enquires about towing with anything other than a tank the thread is full of unhelpful comments and recomendations of their type of tank.

well if you want to tow a small static on the back fine buy a tank of what ever type you like it's a free country (for now anyway) and be happy however some of us either dont have the inclination or the resorces to run a tank when the van is not on the back being quite happy to make do with something smaller van wise that can be towed with a eco family car that does not cost an arm and a leg for a set of tyres or exhaust.

of course posters own experience is relevent but at the end of the day it would be a bit OTT towing a freedomm with a hummer just because you can :O)

be honest towing anything under 1100kg with a tank just does not make any sense (unless you love it) the above comments about renaults may well be true for a few but in my veiw unfounded. I am on my 4th renault having had a 9 an 18 and laguna (all petrol) before buying the 1.9dci megane all have been totally reliable, the megane now 8years old (had it 3 years) tows the bailey ranger with ease anywhere and dispite having 120k on the clock it starts and runs like new and never fails the MOT or breaks down, and it doesn't cost

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Colin, can't help but agree with you - for every person with what they perceive as a problem car there are thousands who have either little or no issue but the latter generally remain silent. I have been very happy with my Grand Scenic and support from Renault which surpised me given it was a direct import.

With regard to your views on excess towing capacity this is I believe often a factor in many caravan incidents. On my CC towing course (invaluable in my opinion and much recommended) one of the instructors, ex-traffic police, was never surprised when an overturned van had been towed by a Discovery. Any reasonably aware driver will know when he/she's towing - you can "feel" the thing dragging behind you. The comparison between towing with my Santa Fe and the Scenic is easily apparent and I reckon a Disco would be even greater disparity to the extent that the driver might almost foget a van is on the back which may contribute to incidents.

ctj

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
I myself had a disco i have a 23 foot avondale and thought that would be the best thing to tow with how wrong i was as soon as i got on the motorway it was all over the road (and before anyone comes back with did you check this and that i am a class 1 hgv driver for 13 yrs so checking everything is second nature) i quickly traded this in and now have amondeo 130 tdci what a difference the van is so stable it pulls like a train i have to watch the speedo so as you see you do not need a tank (4 wheel drive) to tow with should also point out that my van is 1200kgs max

Carl

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Carl

Out of curiosity how old was the disco & what mileage had it done ??

Did you own it long ?

Had it had a hard life ?

Reason I'm asking is my wife has got one, we have had it eight years, and i have never experienced what you are describing, yes the wind will catch it, but thats all.

ctj

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi i had the disco approx 2 yrs it was a 300 tdi over the time i had it had all new rear shocks springs poly bushes etc it was a 97 p reg with approx 127k ( dont qiute know why that matters) it didnt appear to have had a hard life certanly no damage from off roading underneath, all tyres were in good cond at the right pressure, What i experienced on a windless day wasnt just catching the wind yrs of pulling 15ft 6in high 45ft long trailers get you used to that! you could say that it is the buffeting effect when you are overtaken by an hgv but if this is so why would it bother a car that weighs twice the weight of the van when it doesnt make the mondeo shudder???? if it was down to high sides why donent it affect hgv's?? it is a personal choice to use a not only 4x4 but do you really need the biggest car you can lay youre hands on to tow???

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
It's like every other car/van you will always get good & bad, the wife's has done 135k now & she goes all over, i have found that when i have a different set of wheels on my Isuzu Rodeo, it tends to tram line in the inside lane m/way they are 255/60/18 on a 9" rim, ( it widens the track of the truck ) so i put the originals back on..

Cheers

Sproket.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I would say BEWARE!!!!

We had a 05 Scenic 1.9 DCi (120) that we used to tow a Ranger 470/4.

Renault's quoted tow weight of 1300kg is for the car DRIVER ONLY. If the car is full (which is the recommended thing to do as the heavier car, the better stability) then the car can only tow about 950kg. Our Ranger was heavier than that empty.

This is because Renault quote a very low GTW weight for the car.

The towing experience was not too bad, but as soon as we realised that we were not able to load the can and van legally the car was immediately sold.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Sorry to add.....

Our Scenic was totally reliable for the year we had it. The only reason why it went was that it could not legally tow what we want to tow.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
You were badly advised! We got a letter from Renault which basically said that the "driver only" figure could be ignored as long as the Gross Train Weight of 3050 Kg was not exceeded. We totted up the weights and found that we could tow our Ranegr 470/4 with our Grand Scenic with no risk of exceeding this.

It was our local caravan dealer (Couplands in Louth) who alerted us to this and helped sort the problem out - they're great!

The only reason we got rid of the Renault was because of its terrible reliability - lovely, comfortable car, but appallingly unreliable. My brother had one too, and had just as many problems as us.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Andy,

We had the same letter from Renault. Our DCi Scenic was a std one so the GTW was 3000kg.

However, taking a weight of 1180 kg for the caravan and near 1600 kg for the car. That was just leaving just over 200 kg for all the stuff (excluding driver) that we put in the car. For our use that was no where near sufficient so the car had to go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts