Repair costs!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 10, 2020
Visit site
I've always thought that bright red = fresh, dull red = ok, brown = needs changing, black = too late!

My Hyundai Santa Fe didn't have a dipstick but removing the fill/level plug allowed a small sample to be removed and visually examined.
Dead right 👍 except that at 70 years old with no car lift or hoist my days of rolling around under cars are long gone. 😞

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That varies from car to car - the degradation happens primarily when the fluid temperature goes above the design maximum - so where the vehicle has adequate cooling there won't be much degradation.

Those cars which are sold in USA and Australia as well as here in the UK will be towing much heavier caravans at higher temperatures at higher speeds (in the USA) so shouldn't be an issue in the UK.

In the case of German-designed cars, they have enough cooling to be driven flat-out (solo) on the autobahn without overheating so shouldn't be a problem towing at much lower speeds.
Apart from the BMW police cars used by British police traffic officers. Whilst not a gearbox issue the engines self destruct and BMW are no longer supplying to British police. Spend too long idling and then when driven fast problems arise.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Apart from the BMW police cars used by British police traffic officers. Whilst not a gearbox issue the engines self destruct and BMW are no longer supplying to British police. Spend too long idling and then when driven fast problems arise.
I believe it's the long idle and then sudden full power that's the issue with BMW police cars - rather than just using full power. I know some forces use diesel BMWs and like all diesels will cool-off too much when just idling.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I believe it's the long idle and then sudden full power that's the issue with BMW police cars - rather than just using full power. I know some forces use diesel BMWs and like all diesels will cool-off too much when just idling.
Isn't that what I said in my post?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
VW quote 100k miles or 6 years . Looking at this video (not U.K.) the job is not complex but clearly requires a lift, oil pump and a computer to plug in and check things whilst filling, with engine idling and gear selector is moved in a structured process. The computer temperature read outs appear a crucial part of the process. All these aspects clearly cost money so hardly surprising it’s not a cheap exercise.
I wonder what happened when the units were first built and commisssioned?

Reactions: RogerL
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
VW quote 100k miles or 6 years . Looking at this video (not U.K.) the job is not complex but clearly requires a lift, oil pump and a computer to plug in and check things whilst filling, with engine idling and gear selector is moved in a structured process. The computer temperature read outs appear a crucial part of the process. All these aspects clearly cost money so hardly surprising it’s not a cheap exercise.
I wonder what happened when the units were first built and commisssioned?

When new and empty they all take same amount of fluid which would be at a set temperature.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My beef is the cost of the pan at over £900 when the same pan is available elsewhere for under £100 and it is exactly the same pan from the same manufacturer!

When I was speaking to the dealership I could hear that the service manager was embarrassed to be quoting that price because it was a rebranded part. Strangely the fluid was about the same price as everywhere else.

Sometimes I wonder if they quote ridiculous prices when they do not want to do the work as it is too much hassle? After all plugging in the computer is a lot easier and more profitable even if the computer gets it wrong!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My Volvo, which I considered having done prior to selling, Was ‘sealed for life’ but many recommend changing between 80,000 and 100,000 if used for towing.

Not a complex job.

Drain, refill run.
Drain, refill run.
Drain, refill run.

Then wait until the oil temp hits 50 and drain from the filler. Job now done.

One YouTube video kept comparison samples each time which went from black to red.. The cost was mainly down to the cost of the oil. Which is mostly wasted. Only parts needed are ‘O’ rings. I agree that thevOP’s sump pan is silly money, but I wonder what good it might do.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My Volvo, which I considered having done prior to selling, Was ‘sealed for life’ but many recommend changing between 80,000 and 100,000 if used for towing.

Not a complex job.

Drain, refill run.
Drain, refill run.
Drain, refill run.

Then wait until the oil temp hits 50 and drain from the filler. Job now done.

One YouTube video kept comparison samples each time which went from black to red.. The cost was mainly down to the cost of the oil. Which is mostly wasted. Only parts needed are ‘O’ rings. I agree that thevOP’s sump pan is silly money, but I wonder what good it might do.

John
The filter is built into the pan hence the necessity to change the pan.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It gets even worse. It is very difficult to access the rear bolts on the pan due to a cross member. Great design!
The designers do not "design" the gearboxes for a specific car, it is the car designers that will design , around the gearbox/ engine . It is easier for mechanics to raise a car on a lift and drop a cross member than struggle around it. They don't car if it takes 4 hours as they are getting paid.

As with my Electronic hand brake module, on the Santa Fe, you either drop the cross member, remove a drive shaft , or as I did struggle for 4 hours, removing other parts, as I don't have a lift and didn't want to remove a drive shaft.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts