RESCUE

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
l am going to have another go at the insurance company. ive often found in the past they try
hard to wriggle out of their obligations

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
. I've looked at Caravan and Motorhome club (Red Pennant) and they are a really different cup of tea - Their policy includes repatriation of a caravan if the driver cannot tow it home AND pays towards getting the drive back by whatever means! Excellent. But I don't know if Red Pennant is more expensive.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if Red Pennant is more expensive at least you know your outfit would have been delivered home for you,
But i hope you get it sorted then it is less stress for you.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
. I've looked at Caravan and Motorhome club (Red Pennant) and they are a really different cup of tea - Their policy includes repatriation of a caravan if the driver cannot tow it home AND pays towards getting the drive back by whatever means! Excellent. But I don't know if Red Pennant is more expensive.
I've edited your post to remove the name of an insurance provider that you have complained about.
Please see the updated forum rules for guidance about calling out or publicly shaming named companies on the message boards.
We've no reason to doubt your word Graeme, but we have no means or remit to check the full facts of the matter.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
This has overtones of a predicament a poor stranded elderly lady we camped alongside in Loches had, a few years back.

Her husband was taken seriously ill and in hospital there, and awaiting his repatriation when well enough. [If I recall, he had a stroke.]

She claimed their holiday/recovery insurance company had told her, as she was a named driver on her husband's car insurance, they would not recover the unit home.

She told us she had never towed in her life and simply could not face doing so, though she drives the car solo.

She was still waiting for their family to come to France to recover her at the time we left.

We had no reason to disbelieve her, but found what she was claiming itself unbelievable enough to check with our recovery insurance our position in that scenario. We received assurances that would no be our predicament.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP hasn’t really stated with any clarity what his policy actually covers. It’s alright getting critical of insurers and claiming that they wheedle out of obligations, but what cover did the OP actually take out. I would be surprised if the cover provided by the CCC wasn’t fulfilled properly in the event of a claim. But what cover was actually taken out, was it sufficient to cover this sort of unfortunate event?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The OP says RAC told him that they would not go that far. Seems odd, as they either issued a policy that covered Spain or they did not. If they had not covers Spain then that should be the reason for the decision. Given his age and circumstances some compassion would not go astray here.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP says RAC told him that they would not go that far. Seems odd, as they either issued a policy that covered Spain or they did not. If they had not covers Spain then that should be the reason for the decision. Given his age and circumstances some compassion would not go astray here.
Sorry but folks have to be responsible for their actions and decisions where such matters arise. Insurance prices rise rapidly post 80 years of age and the insurer or recovery provider run a business not a charity. How many times do we hear of families urging HMG to bring someone home who is ill or has died. The plea is because they did not take out insurance. HMG don’t have money of their own it’s taxation that provides the money.
The OP hasn’t said what insurance and recovery cover he took out. It’s clearly stated in the Schedule and Policy documents. If it’s the one I think then the car is covered via a breakdown and recovery policy and can be repatriated if non repairable. But this is not the case here. It’s more likely this one wil be dealt with via a travel insurance policy which covers medical events. Then it does become more of a grey area. But friends of our had a serious medical event and the wife had to be flown back to U.K. by air ambulance. Husband was included on the flight and the car was repatriated. Their travel/medical policy was with M&S.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneS and Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The OP has said that it is the C&CC policy which would either have recovery or not. He says they say it is too far for them to travel, but either Spain is covered or it is not.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP has said that it is the C&CC policy which would either have recovery or not. He says they say it is too far for them to travel, but either Spain is covered or it is not.
If you read the policy it does cover Spain. But it’s for breakdown or post accident of the car, and associated trailer. This event would not be covered by that policy. Although there’s a travel/medical policy available and that’s where the subsequent consequences of a medical claim are most likely to be dealt with. But the OP should contact the club travel service if not done so already.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no cover in the medical expenses policy either on reading it although given the OP's age I would think that would be very expensive. It does look like there is a major flaw in the C&CC policy as this sort of event is foreseeable and people need that cover. Having said that I checked the CAMH site and that seems to be the same.
This is a very possible scenario and I do wonder if anyone has had this cover and who from.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no cover in the medical expenses policy either on reading it although given the OP's age I would think that would be very expensive. It does look like there is a major flaw in the C&CC policy as this sort of event is foreseeable and people need that cover. Having said that I checked the CAMH site and that seems to be the same.
This is a very possible scenario and I do wonder if anyone has had this cover and who from.
My friends had their car repatriated from France when the wife was ill and had an air ambulance. Because hubby had to accompany her and be with her back in U.K. the car was recovered under a claim against the medical element of the travel insurance policy.
The OPs situation will not be unique to CCC or CMHC so it’s best he talks to the provider of the cover. I note CMHC do say in their policy that they have volunteer drivers who can bring the outfit and owners back.

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi, new member saying hello to all members. I have been looking at this post for a day or two and correct me if I'm wrong (wife says I usually am,) I've seen a similar post on this or another forum, a year or two back? There was a cry for help by somebody stuck abroad needing a driver to get the unit back? As some members have pointed out not all insurances cover for repatriation of the unit if it hasn't broken down.

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
I am very grateful for all the many replies, especially those of a sympathetic nature. As I have said before the Camping and Caravan club's insurance policy although they wont repatriate the caravan have offered 1000 pounds towards recovery. The nearest quote I got was 2300 which i cant afford having spent a chunk of my savings on medical treatment. THere were a few quotes much cheaper from Shiply......but I suspect they were cowboys . Its funny that when you get to my age there dont seem to be any (young) relatives left...and the grandchildren and great grandchildren are too busy doing there own thing..let alone the coronavrus!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With both clubs members touring Europe they are potentially likely to become ill and possibly require the outfit, or car if just touring solo, to be repatriated. Yet neither clubs policies make it absolutely clear that such an event is covered. The most information on repatriation seems to be via air under the medical policy, but that’s of limited use if the outfit cannot be returned. Was the £1000 offered from the Breakdown and Recovery policy or the Medical/Travel insurance policy?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The recovery policy called Caravan Care
Thanks, that policy seems to cover recovery after a breakdown or accident so have the insurers offered the £1000 towards the costs as a goodwill gesture. If they had then that’s a positive gesture on their part. Have you been in contact with the travel/medical insurers to see what their response would be?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
After reading the OP,s latest post I am of the opinion that there was no medical insurance or at least it was very restrictive. At 88 I think this would be very expensive but if there are grandchildren who could recover the outfit but say they are too busy then this i very sad although it may be the outfit is over 3,500 kg and beyond their licences.

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
(Limit The maximum Insurers will pay under this section is £1,000 in total during the Period of Insurance )
The above sentence was copied from the Club Care insurance details. So it seems as though the CCC is holding up there end of the policy. The trouble is that you will be required to pay for any cost upfront then produce receipts to the value, then claim it back. Knowing where you are in Spain would help to cost it type of car to be driven make of caravan to be towed and area you would need van dropping off at (not address). Anybody that can help will have to self isolate on return, what injuries do you have wouldn't it be cheaper to stay in Spain. You say that the medical treatment has drained you of all your cash, surely that is what travel insurance is for?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I sympathise with you Graeme and hope that you can find a way to bring your outfit back from Spain.
Under Lockdown 2 it's unlikely that anybody would be allowed to help by volunteering to fly to Spain and to drive back with the caravan in tow.
It looks as though adequate insurance cover was not in place to deal effectively with sudden illness which left the car and caravan stranded, so how would a volunteer be covered and who would pay for this insurance policy?
If you have adult sons or daughters and it looks as though you have if you have grandchildren, I'm afraid that unless you can persuade your insurer to help, which is unlikely if you only had breakdown cover, your family will have to try to help.
It's a massive ask to expect complete strangers from an internet forum to volunteer their services under present conditions and government restrictions.
Good luck in retrieving your outfit, I hope that everything works out for you Graeme.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i only hope someone in your family can help otherwise you might have leave your caravan on seasonal site in spain until you are well and then bring it home

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts