Resizing a photograph

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Several times when I go to put a photo into a thread, I get the " Oops the file is too big" I have manage to physically resize the photo but then it misses out some of the picture,
There must be a way to decrease the MB's or whatever it is that stops the picture from loading.
Mr Frustrated, RMK.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I select a photo from the iPhone photo library I get the option to choose lwith a menu from actual size, large, medium, small. I never choose actual size as it will be too large, whereas anything Large, Medium or Small is accepted. But often when it’s calculating the size all your options say the same but in reality descend in size of file. See below.

IMG_2825.png

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That doesn't happen on my Lenovo tablet, Android OS, and Google pictures. Or direct from tablet photos.
Ah the benefits of Apple. The photo though is of our Eldiss Hurricane GTX en route in France. And in those days Eldiss did not crack their panels, or pull floor away from sides. But they just leaked.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok trying an app called Photo Compress. From Play Store.
Studio_20200709_190712.jpg

Well that works.
Studio_20200709_192244~2.jpg
Edited to show difference between compressed Photo as against a cropped photo. Compressed is the top one,

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have now found that when I click on a photo, and go to EDIT, at the end of the options, there is a 'more' and in that , now is the icon going directly to this new app Photo Compress.
Works very well.
So no frustration uploading a picture to the forum.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Download The Gimp which is a free and very effective photo editing prog once you have learned the basics. Faststone is another good free picture viewing and editing prog.
Then just edit the picture to reduce the number of colours in it - don't adjust the resolution, just the number of colours. Often halving the number will reduce the file size by a factor of 4.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s something that the Forum software should handle. There must be contributors who have been posting pictures from Android devices without having to use third party software.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The joy of Digital Images. Used to be nice when you could take a pair of scissors to a print and cut it down.

Pedantic comment first..... Digital Images don't have a physical size - they're just a number of pixels. So you can't really change the physical size.

The number of pixels is what determines the original image file size.

What you can do is crop the image to throw away some of the photo which leaves less pixels and may reduce the file size...may or may not!

Or you can resize the image which usually means reducing the number of pixels but keeping the aspect ratio the same as the original.

Or you can compress the jpeg image even more which will reduce the file size but may result in a poorer quality image.

I don't belong to the Apple clan so can't say how you would do that if you are a member.

On Windows there are many options. Maybe one if the easiest in this instance are the Windows Powertoys, one of which is a Photo Resize. It adds a context menu item so that if you use File Explorer and right click on an image it should pop up a menu with the option to Resize it.

On Android there are many apps that will do the same but be careful looking in the Play Store as many are just click bait.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
And I thought it was only me that got frustrated with this! What I ended up doing was email the photograph to myself which gave the option to choose a photo size, thus selecting less than 1Mb meant I could resave the photo from the email in a smaller format. I haven't yet found a way to select the photo size from the library when using it to upload (IPhone 11).

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
Using an iPhone SE I can select the picture below by using the picture symbol above the text as I type which links me to the photo library. Select the desired photo and the words ‘actual size’ appear which, when touched, changes to size options from small to actual size.
IMG_2520.jpegIMG_2520.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Using an iPhone SE I can select the picture below by using the picture symbol above the text as I type which links me to the photo library. Select the desired photo and the words ‘actual size’ appear which, when touched, changes to size options from small to actual size.
View attachment 4720View attachment 4720
I use either an iPhone SE or IPad and it’s just the same procedure. As per my post at #2 you can see tge selection list. Theres a glitch somewhere that’s been around for a long while as all four choices show 2.4 mb, but when you select “ large” for example you do get a reduced file size of around 1.2 mb ( approx).

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
It'll probably be the only time I post a picture from a phone. I just don't like trying to deal with pictures on such a small screen.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Unlike Micky and OC neither iPad or iPhone give me that option unless I am emailing. But perhaps I need to adjust a setting, I will need to investtigate. What I have been doing is resizing using a free app. That is easy enough, but a definate, time consuming faf.

I agree that the forum software should deal automatically. Pity the revamp did not include this feature.

80C4C472-E263-4D03-9E25-E9A44F723979.jpeg

Upate.

My iPad does do it. BUT only if I use the icon at the head of the post, NOT if I use the ‘Attach Files’, at the bottom. (That may or not be the case for PC and Android).

So I have learnt a lesson.

But, as OC said, the size cannot be right. I would have assumed that ‘actual size’ should be the biggest. Unless I am missing somthing.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unlike Micky and OC neither iPad or iPhone give me that option unless I am emailing. But perhaps I need to adjust a setting, I will need to investtigate. What I have been doing is resizing using a free app. That is easy enough, but a definate, time consuming faf.

I agree that the forum software should deal automatically. Pity the revamp did not include this feature.

View attachment 4724

Upate.

My iPad does do it. BUT only if I use the icon at the head of the post, NOT if I use the ‘Attach Files’, at the bottom. (That may or not be the case for PC and Android).

So I have learnt a lesson.

But, as OC said, the size cannot be right. I would have assumed that ‘actual size’ should be the biggest. Unless I am missing somthing.

John
I’ve never used attach files option fir photographs, always the icon at the top of the new post. I’ve not noticed any change since the revamp, it’s just as it has been.

It’s strange that in your post photo Large comes out with more megabits than Actual. I’ve never had that show. They’ve always been in descending size from Actual to Small. Puzzling.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Unlike Micky and OC neither iPad or iPhone give me that option unless I am emailing. But perhaps I need to adjust a setting,

Ok, this is how I do it on IPhone 11. Don’t use the “attach file” prompt below, use the picture icon fifth from left above.
IMG_6426.jpegIMG_6428.jpegIMG_6429.jpegIMG_6430.jpegIMG_6431.jpeg

TRENDING THREADS