Restart forum

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On Friday 20th January I posted a request on this forum for the site to be closed down and wiped clean. The powers that be in the backroom who design web sites could then start a new site with policing to prevent the constant slanging that has recently taken place. I admitted that I have entered into humourous banter with CliveV, Lord B, etc and it has been clean banter given and received in a friendly manner - the manner in which it was sent. Nowadays there is question regarding who is who and who is genuine on the forum. My posting was answered by Cris and CliveV but has now been deleted. Why has it been deleted when it was a perfectly sensible request when other postings which have caused great offence have been left here. I can assure you that this is a genuine request and not some troll trying to put the spanner in the works. I have been on this forum for some time now and feel offended by one simple request being deleted for no apparant reason.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is there something that can take the place of the forum Colin? I don't see the point of shutting it down if we are going to be left with nothing at all. We know a new forum is on it's way, when it's here then by all means, lets start again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My reason for shutting it down is to stop all the bad blood that is being tossed at one and another of late as well as the hacking of individual personalities. The shut down would at the very most last for 48 hours if the back room computer boys know their stuff. So far I have had very little offence thrown at me but the likes of CliveV has suffered considerably and if I was in his place I would want to make an issue of it. Surely to God as mature adults all with a common interest we can behave in a sensable manner without any offence being thrown at each other. Fair enough you will always have the pro and anti brigade - life ia not a bed of roses but it can be discussed in a manner whereby the consensious is to agree to disagree. Lets all grow up and start again. If I have upset certain members of the forum by suggesting we are a bunch of idiots I apologise but unfartunately the minority are spoiling it for the majority.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well I have to agree with Lol, I can't see the sense in wiping it clean Colin because theres a lot of useful info in there. With regards to the attacking the idea is to let it go over your head. I've been accused of having too much to say, of having a sad lonely life and much worse but do you think I give a monkey's, no because I know different and just put the comments down to where they came from. Some of the comments I have just mentioned came from someone who I hadn't made any comment to before and came out of the blue. They obviously had a problem with me so that was their worry not mine and if their answer in solving it is to attack me personally its themselves they are demeaning, not myself . I'm certainly not going to change just to please one miserable old b*gger lmaaoooo. All people are different and it would be a boring world if we were the clones of each other so we have to accept that theres jerks around too. Rightly you say we have disagreements but in an adult way and hopefully no offence is taken, it all makes for the enjoyment of the site. I've just criticised Clive but again hopefully not in a way to upset him and the one thing that I know is I wont change him lolol, Clive is Clive.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well I have to agree with Lol, I can't see the sense in wiping it clean Colin because theres a lot of useful info in there. With regards to the attacking the idea is to let it go over your head. I've been accused of having too much to say, of having a sad lonely life and much worse but do you think I give a monkey's, no because I know different and just put the comments down to where they came from. Some of the comments I have just mentioned came from someone who I hadn't made any comment to before and came out of the blue. They obviously had a problem with me so that was their worry not mine and if their answer in solving it is to attack me personally its themselves they are demeaning, not myself . I'm certainly not going to change just to please one miserable old b*gger lmaaoooo. All people are different and it would be a boring world if we were the clones of each other so we have to accept that theres jerks around too. Rightly you say we have disagreements but in an adult way and hopefully no offence is taken, it all makes for the enjoyment of the site. I've just criticised Clive but again hopefully not in a way to upset him and the one thing that I know is I wont change him lolol, Clive is Clive.
Its about time I disagreed with you Colin, the last twice I actually agreed with you and I was beginning to get a bit worried. Now I can cancel the doctors appointment. :O)

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Colin

When I logged on on Saturday morning there were over 360 (as opposed to the usual 200 or so per day) new posts in 24 hours, many of them seriously out of line. Some reasonable threads had become so infected with name calling and bickering that there was no alternative than to delete the whole thread. I'm sorry your post was deleted in the process.

Our forum uses the same engine as all the other Haymarket publication websites (WhatCar etc) and they seem to have none of the problems ours does.

Commissioning a new and more sophisticated engine just for PCV is under discussion and will happen. It may not be this week, however!!!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I deleted several threads and dozens of inappropriate posts yesterday morning. If I've missed something, please email me with Forum title/Subject/offensive wording.

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I will be sending you a bill for wasted monitor ink Your Moddyship. I hope you can find it in yourself to look on my claim favourably, thanking you in anticipation, Peregrine Braykewynde.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I agree that there is a lot of useful info on the forum and wiping it clean will remove all of it.

I think it's quite easy to spot a troll, therefore isn't the best policy for us forum users to ignore the troll and it will get fed up and go away.

Regards.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning Colin

I certainly think that a new Forum "engine" is required - Whilst I do not agree with the idea that LB put forward that "mucking about" with multiple personalities as per Kanga can be justified - I was interested to hear how it is done.

I employ technology - but do not understand it all.

So until a new Forum is on the cards the likes of Kanga will flood to this one - not because the are caravanners (one of the most vitriolic contributors seemed to object to this term - how true/bizarre can that be on a caravanning forum?) but because this forum is populated by ordinary guys who want to extend there hobby as much as possible.

Of all the Forums I think this one achieves that better than any other.

Should we ignore the Trolls? - I would say this has not worked in the past as they just pop up under another name to suck the unsuspecting into an unsavoury argument - which of course is their aim.

Should we confront the Trolls? - Certainly causes more work for the moddies and ends up with some pretty unsavoury posts which hardly represents the Forum or its members - which of course it will not because by their own admission they are not caravanners.

My personal opinion is to confront rather than ignore.

Thank you for pointing out that I have been on the receiving end of more abuse than most. I appreciate that.

But it hardly bothers me. They try to have a go but generally get angry and do something stupid. Thereby loosing the "debate".

I do not mind being called an "Old Codger" - it is actually not a bad description. Most of the guys in the office have grey hair. Our clients prefer the experience that comes with it.

Certainly we can run rings round the verbal antics of the Trolls - who I think are children.

Yesterday I likened these Trolls to Muggers and some may think this a bit strong - I have not checked but that thread may have been deleted judging from what you say. Maybe it was a bit "graphic".

But as Forum users are we not entitled to converse on this forum without being "mugged" by a Troll masquerading as a fictitious person just to provoke and cause trouble?

I wish we could wipe the slate clean and start again with stronger barriers against such vindictive silliness - but from what the Moddies say it will not be for some time.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Clive, your comment about someone objecting to the word caravanners was slightly off mark. That person thought he was being clever and criticised Janey I believe over her spelling of the word. The fact was that person was wrong and then tried to turn it around from being a critism to himself making a typo. He thinks everyone lacks grey matter when the fact is if his brains were gunpowder he wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed!

My favourite "twist" on your very accurate description that we use (because we do a lot of tax planning) is :-

"If brainpower was taxable we would be able to get him a sizable rebate!"

LMAO!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with both Clive and L.B.

I don't think you can control a troll, such as the one we have. If you ignore it, it just keeps trying new ways to get peoples attention. If you challenge it, you're most likely feeding the flames. You can expect many lies from a troll with a smattering of reality to make the lies look good. Until Haymarket gets the finger out and does something about it, we are stuck with our problem, and the best we can do is deal with it in our own ways, until that happens. Just try to remember, name-calling or distasteful language are his weapons, not ours. I like to think we have more intelligence than that.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I think you're exactly right Lol. No matter what measures you take it's impossible to stop someone registering and posting spoofs. All you can do is,when you recognize a troll continue the thread as if that post isn't there. I think the name calling and insulting comments and jibes are far more serious. If someone disagrees with your views or methods you either come up with facts to prove your case or say ok you may have a point, and sometimes you may even learn something. I have only been on this forum since November, but I think were quite fortunate to have a forum where views can be exchanged frankly, and it's a real shame when it breaks down to insults.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Other web "enthusiasts" seem to run more secure forums than this business run forum.

I guess most here use ISP based email address so you could cut hotmail addresses and the like and have better security as with other sites I use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surely the problem is one or two idiots masquerading as others and this has got to be an "engine" problem that needs to be addressed.

If we all had our own unique identifier then the problem could not exist.

I think the fact that as Craig says, this forum allows open debate is what makes it attractive to a troll like Kanga. Other Haymarket Forums - from a quick look - seem very much more "techy" therefore less opportunity to upset people if the main topic is tuning the carb on a Morris Minor etc.

I certainly do not want the openness of this Forum diminished in any way. I see it as the equivalent of a chat over a drink round a BBQ on a campsite.

What we have now is a lout who barges in and starts an argument. Some will just ignore him and hope he goes away - others will get fed up and chuck him of site.

Only when the "campsite security" stops him coming on site in the first place will peace be restored.

This is where we are now of course. Problem is he has found a hole in the fence and our adult debate is just SO attractive to him for some reason.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
One point to ponder Clive, if there was no Kanga that would be one less subject to talk about. Now considering about 25% of posts are Kanga related if nobody talked about him it would be a very quiet site. I dont know if anyone else has noticed how slow the site is lately but if all the Kanga posts were deleted the site would speed up considerably once the weight was lifted heheheheh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suppose it's one mans meat etc.

When I needed techy help this site was invaluable.

But when you post a valid point on say "Towcars" and get mugged by (supposedly) a number of individuals acting in concert but in reality prove to be just one person you have to question what the heck is going on!

Is it the site? Well it allows it but other Haymarket sites do not experience this problem.

Is it me? Probably best to let others be the judge of that - but anyones opinions are valid in my view and only a nerd would NEED to make out he had "friends" that supported an off the wall opinion.

Is it him? Well he is the one that is banned and if that means a quiet site with techy bits answered and the benefit of casual conversation then like Mike S - I am all for that.

I have to take on so many bl**dy Insurance companies on behalf of my clients that dealing with Kanga is hardly a challenge. If he WAS somehow permanently banned properly - or better still changed his ways and started acting like an adult then the problem goes away.

I do not agree with those that say just ignore him and he will go away - because he doesn't - he comes back as someone else and picks an argument with some unsuspecting person. His treatment of Mark was incredibly offensive.

Ignoring him is like having a broken leg and never getting it set. Yes you can limp around on a crutch but it is not the best option.

Dealing with the problem is.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Clive, I read the message from the Grim reaper and your reply before it was deleted. What I cannot understand is why the mods cannot stop this person logging onto the forum. I am new to this but still feel upset that 1 person is distroying the general banter that you guys and gals on this site enjoy. I do hope this sad excuse for an individual will give up soon or get blocked for good.

Ive started logging on each day now just to read peoples views and have a laugh at some of the comments made usualy by his lordship.

Kevin H

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts