Returning to the UK with my dog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone please advise as to how soon before my crossing from Dunkirque do I need to present myself to get my dog processed.
Thanks, Steve.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The rules have just changed. Your dog must be vetted not less than 24 and not more than 120 hours before departure. (I'm pretty sure this is the new regs, but someone will shoot me down if its wrong!)
Btw, I obviously don't know your plans, but on all our Euro-jaunts we use a site called La Chaumier, just outside St. Omer, where the owner's wife is receptionist at the local vet, and they will book an appoinment to suit your ferry.It's also a very pleasant little site.

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Im sorry, Ive not made myself clear at all!
Given that the dog has been to the vets I meant how early do I need to report for my ferry so as to allow time for the ferry company to process the dog.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just join the normal check in lines and the check in booth operator passes you the meter to detect the dogs chip without getting the dog out of the car. Our dog insurance requires a UK vet to check the microchip is still in place within 2weeks of leaving uk. They do this for free.

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Is that all there is to it? Who checks the passport is correct? or is that done in the UK.
I cant find anything on my policy about having the chip checked on return to the UK but it gets checked annually anyway.
Thanks for the help

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The ferry agent checks the microchip reading taken by the meter against that in the passport and checks passport entries made by the French vet to make sure you are within the legal timings. You then get a windscreen sticker that shows you have animal in car. Normally no further check is made in Dover. Our insurance only requires us to make sure the chip is read within 2weeks of departure not after return.

TRENDING THREADS