Reverse View Camera

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Thinking of installing a camera at the rear of the caravan-no through vision in the new van.
What is the best position for one?

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I want to do this too. People in the earlier thread appeared to have a window in the rear panel through which to run a camera cable, but my van does not have such a window, although the rear panel has the typical window shape and raised surround. This surround is, I suspect hollow at the top, but I'm unsure of how to mount a camera there. Recent vans have a bullet type camera inset into the moulding at the top of the panel, but I don't know how such a camera could be retained, or where the cable could be run/accessed.
The bullet shape camera is a lot neater than the motorhome type shown on the parkingcameras.com site.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a single camera, similar to Spokets, mounted onto a small steel plate and use the sticky pads (thick ones) to attach to the back of the caravan, then run the cable down the right hand awning rail, under the A frame, and then in through the boot of the car, with the camera sitting forward of the gear select stick, so that it is not always in view, whilst driving, but just needs a quick look down to see whats behind me. Great for reversing especially in the dark.

Edit , the screen is just forward of gear stick, and is always on as per Mike S.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The number plate camera mount is an easy way to mount the camera, and the power supply can be taken from the reversing light and depending on the type of rear light cluster somewhere to put the transmitter.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My previous caravan had a rear washroom window. I made a lightweight sheet steel bracket so the camera hung from the window "ledge" and was held in place by the rubber seal. The wire from the camera went through the caravan just lying on the floor, to a front bed locker where it then went through a ventilator, under the floor, forwards. When not in use the camera and wire were just gathered up into the locker.
My current van has no rear window so instead the camera is mounted on a bracket attached to the underside of the caravan floor right at the back (obviously!) and the wire is cable-tied to other wires (road lights, etc) to go forward.
Despite being low down it does not get as dirty as I thought it might. Also, this camera, (I bought a new one), is a narrow angle camera. Most reverse cameras, and my previous one, are 120 degrees: this is 60. Gives a much better idea of distances. I bought my kit from Parkingcameras.com The camera itself is CAM061Narrow and costs £60. Not cheap, but a cracking good camera.
By the way, I have mine set up as a rearview system, not just for reversing, ie on all the time - no blind spots!
Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My set up uses wireless transnission with the transmitter in the washroom and cable to camera throug the rear window gasket. No need to cut the gasket, cable is thin and pinces up with no problems. Range id considerable Several caravan lengths. Monitor clips over driving mirror so you look at it intutitavely.
Possible new van does not have rear window. I'm considering mouting camera and transmitter in a flat box with thee camera attaced to the outside and securing the entire box to the roor of the caravan with double sided tape or suitable adhesive. This means I need only a 12v supply cable which will be quite small and unobtrusive and could be passed out throght a very small hole in the foor fitted with a waterproof gland or run from under the van inside the offside awning rail to roof level and then into the box.

Or to avoid long wires use a small sealed 12v rechargeable battery which can be recharged elsewhere overnight or before the start of the trip. Power consumption is pretty low and you are unlikely to need more than say 10 hours supply in any one day.

I would recommend using the system for continuous rear view and not just reversing, particularly in Europe. Reversing cameras will not show you the corners of the caravan, as proved by the fact that my awning has been hit twice in two weeks by careless mv drivers relying on their camaras and not bothering to look in their mirrors or have anyone get out and use Mk. 1 human eyeball

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts