Reversing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I met a combine harvester on a narrow road he would not give way in the end i manage to pull my caravan onto the grass verge lucky there was a enough in the end he went over a little bit . and we both carried on our way . phew :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Slowly does it, and don't be afraid to pull forward if needs be. hand on bottom of wheel good tip. Keep an eye on the side of the van, if the side begins to fill the right mirror, steer gently toward that side, same other side, particularly when reversing in a straight line. There had been an incident, police were there, had to reverse, not far, say 50 yards did it very slowly. As an aside I had a policeman acting as banksman the diver in front started telling me to hurry up. Had to revers turn left before pulling forward, as I did the policeman was directing the car over to the side, seemed to be having a few words with him.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I pulled into a French Service station,A10 south of Paris, on the exit was a HGV blocking the turn, waited about 15 minutes, decided that I could pull straight across the exit and reverse back into the 90 degree road to our left, but it took three trys due to a car blocking the reverse road. Managed to fully block the exit, with people watching, maybe 20 minutes, Police ended up there, helping to quell the incident, as nobody could get onto the motorway, just got the caravan , straight and ready to go and the Person munching his Garlic Baguette, blocking myd reversing, got into his Citroen and off. A good reversing day.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2020
Visit site
......reversing is easy when you've been practicing for 64 years :)
Grew up on a farm and was reversing a tractor and trailer at the age of 10!
Also grew up on a farm so reversing becomes easy for us, especially when you had to reverse double articulated vehicles such as 4 wheel hay trailers and balers with flat 8 bale collectors behind it, best advise from me for reversing a caravan is correctly adjusted mirrors, take it slowly and loads of practice.

Gra

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Do all the hard work going forwards, never try to jack knife in unless there is no option. Its a matter of being slightly past your pitch with an angle already on the unit.Best way to describe it is as if you are crossing to the opposite carriageway, straighten the car but not the caravan, engage reverse and get it done. As parsky said, never back in blind side unless there is no option.

If you are going to allow the good lady to help, teach her the proper signals. Its absolutely useless to look at madam in the mirror and trying to decide whether or not she is having some sort of fit. Either that or there is a wasp chasing her. I still get that even though she has been taught properly.

Take a shunt if you need to, or several if you simply cant drive, but dont overthink it, Im sure thats why people see it as being difficult.

One of the best was:

Make sure you stand where I can see you. Two mins later, what the hell are you doing? Standing where you can see me................................ I meant at the back. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts