Route planning software

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I am still using MS Autoroute 2001 and it is now a bit dated and I would like to upgrade but not to Autoroute 2013 which has got many bad reviews. Can any one suggest an alternative to MS Autoroute? Thanks.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Unless you want to be able to use it when out of touch, I've found the routefinder on the AA website to be as good as anything.
I've also got a TomTom in the car which is good for on-the-fly route changes, although unless you get the hugely expensive version it won't take account of the fact you're towing.

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
If you have an Android smart phone then Navfree is good. The maps are downloaded as a package so no 3G data usage when travelling. It accounts for wide vehicles and best of all. It is free ;-)

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
As said Navfree is great!!

To set to RV/lorry mode

Just go to AdvancedPreferencesRoute planningVehicle type

Just wished the built in Navigation app on Android would allow this setting as i like to use satalight

There is also another app called MapFactor: GPS Navigation thats free and allows you to set to truck mode which also works. Problem is the app isn't that great.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Surfer said:
I am still using MS Autoroute 2001 and it is now a bit dated and I would like to upgrade but not to Autoroute 2013 which has got many bad reviews. Can any one suggest an alternative to MS Autoroute? Thanks.
clearly there is a reason why you want and use MS autoroute ......the alternatives given are all cheap sat nav based routing which is fine for piont to piont routing and nothing more.. So what are you after Surfer Given your previous use of Autoroute?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Surfer said:
clearly there is a reason why you want and use MS autoroute ......the alternatives given are all cheap sat nav based routing which is fine for piont to piont routing and nothing more.. So what are you after Surfer Given your previous use of Autoroute?

Sometimes when out and about you do not have signal so Via Michelin is out of the question. We don't have smartphones and have no interest in buying one either. I don't need a signal to open Autoroute 2000 hence the quest for alternative software.
With Autoroute you can set your mph for different types or roads, mpg and cost per litre so when you do the route calculation it shows you the cost and and time taken to drive the route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts