Route to Lake Como

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I hope to head off to North Italy in May. There appears to be a great number of possible routes - I will most likely be crossing to either Dunkirk or Zeebrugge. Do I go through France (expensive Autoroutes) or the longer trip through Germany?,also what are the pros and cons of the various Alpine crossings? Im sure many of you will be old hands on these routes!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You'll have to go through 'Rob dog' Switzerland to make the most effective approach to Como, and for that you will need a 'vignette' which will cost you CF40 for your car and a similar amount if you are towing a van and wish to go on motorways.

You get these at the borders.

Swiss drivers hoot at you all the time.

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

I will agree with Mr Evans, your best route to Como is through France & Switzerland. Many years ago when I was trucking I used to tip in Chiasso, and reload in Como and if we were under 28 tonnes gross on the out trip always went that way, saving a fortune in tolls.

As I said it was some time ago, before all the motorways there are now, were built. But I see they follow the route we always took and they were good roads, even for a 40 footer.

If you look at the route we took you would enjoy it or you could go on the Autoroute as and when you wanted to get on a bit, if you find yourself doing too much sightseeing enroute!!

From Calais we used to go- St Quentin - Reims - Bar le duc - Nancy - Colmar - Mullhouse -Basel(Swiss) - Luzern - Sellisburg Tunnel - Gotthard Tunnel - Bellinzona - Lugarno - then into Italy at Chiasso, Como is then about 15/20 minuets.

The run down thro' Swiss is fantastic and worth every penny you pay for the 'vignettes'which I think you can get thro the AA or RAC, about

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Jim

I will agree with Mr Evans, your best route to Como is through France & Switzerland. Many years ago when I was trucking I used to tip in Chiasso, and reload in Como and if we were under 28 tonnes gross on the out trip always went that way, saving a fortune in tolls.

As I said it was some time ago, before all the motorways there are now, were built. But I see they follow the route we always took and they were good roads, even for a 40 footer.

If you look at the route we took you would enjoy it or you could go on the Autoroute as and when you wanted to get on a bit, if you find yourself doing too much sightseeing enroute!!

From Calais we used to go- St Quentin - Reims - Bar le duc - Nancy - Colmar - Mullhouse -Basel(Swiss) - Luzern - Sellisburg Tunnel - Gotthard Tunnel - Bellinzona - Lugarno - then into Italy at Chiasso, Como is then about 15/20 minuets.

The run down thro' Swiss is fantastic and worth every penny you pay for the 'vignettes'which I think you can get thro the AA or RAC, about

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi Jim

Jun 16, 2005
Visit site
Went to La Riva campsite, Sorico (excellent) on the Northern end of Lake Como last June. First year with a caravan and first holiday with it. Went to Calais via Reims, Strasbourg, Switzerland and into Italy via St.Gothard tunnel.

First night Camping La Ben Assise, Calais (V.Good) early start with second night Camp Municipal Metz-Plage, Metz (avoid at all cost's - try Verdun which is very good. Third night at camping Rheinwiessen, Schaffhausen north of Zurich. Also good.Then sraight through Switzlerland and crossed the border at Chiasso.

While there went for a day's drive to St. Moritz via the Julier Pass which was a bit daunting without a caravan. I would not recommend it with one. Keep to the E35 which is only 40 miles more, with no nasty passes and is quicker. I ordered the Swiss vignettes on the internet via Swisstravel before I left and you do need two. We were checked at the border on our return. The French autoroutes were excellent not too expensive. Check both route and toll cost's on Mappy.com or Michelin. I thought they were reasonable.

Do have a great holiday, it's a lovely part of the world.

Mac

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Jim

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Of course you can go thru Switzerland without a vignette! The roads are good and since most if not all the Swiss have vignettes the roads are not full of traffic either. I towed my van from Lake Como (Menaggio) to Como then took the A9 and A8 autostrada (cost 6.70 Euros)to Stresa and Domodossola. Over the Simplon pass to Switzerland, then Sion, Lausanne and into France, Besancon, Langres, Chaumont, St Dizier, Chalons en Champagne, Reims (pay 1 Euro to use a'route by pass). Took the N44 to St Quentin (no traffic) then bit the bullet and a'route to Calais (about 15 Euros). Did this in Sept 2005. 3 days travel.

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course you can go thru Switzerland without a vignette! The roads are good and since most if not all the Swiss have vignettes the roads are not full of traffic either. I towed my van from Lake Como (Menaggio) to Como then took the A9 and A8 autostrada (cost 6.70 Euros)to Stresa and Domodossola. Over the Simplon pass to Switzerland, then Sion, Lausanne and into France, Besancon, Langres, Chaumont, St Dizier, Chalons en Champagne, Reims (pay 1 Euro to use a'route by pass). Took the N44 to St Quentin (no traffic) then bit the bullet and a'route to Calais (about 15 Euros). Did this in Sept 2005. 3 days travel.

Alan
Good point!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site

Alan
Looks good to me!!!, Thank you

JimF

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for what has already become a well downloaded route.My I encorage a routes to 'wherever' without paying tolls. could become a new sport.

Thanks for that one anyway.

oldwinegum

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Routes to euro sites without paying euro tolls is a proposal for a new winter activity for all of us who would rather be doing somthing else.

by for now,

oldwinegum

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site

Alan
Ahh Langres, I once spent 3 days there with a waiting for a new windscreen to be brought out for the old Guy BIG J truck,I was driving at the time, just below the town walls,on a garage forecourt. But I enjoyed walking around the town, even though it poured down every day.

Tankie

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Ahh Langres, I once spent 3 days there with a waiting for a new windscreen to be brought out for the old Guy BIG J truck,I was driving at the time, just below the town walls,on a garage forecourt. But I enjoyed walking around the town, even though it poured down every day.

Tankie
Spent 3 nights at Lac de La Liez in September. Nice site and Langres is a really nice old walled town, isn't it. Great food in the restaurants, too!

Alan

Mar 16, 2006
Visit site
Jim, I drove past Como last year on my way to Tuscany. This was my first occasion without my Caravan as I have moved on to Tent with a roof box ! Route was Calais, Dunkirk, Lille, Mons, Namur, Luxembourg, Metz, Strasbourg, Basel, Gotthard and then Como. This avoids paying French road tolls as the motorways in Belguim and Germany are free. Fill up in in Luxembourg as it is cheapest place in Europe for unleaded and diesel. If you are unleaded fill up in Switzerland too just prior to Italian frontier as is also very cheap there. Finally - the Swiss Vignettes can be purchased on Ebay. Search under vignette suisse or vignette schweiz and there many european people willing to sell. You will need to buy 2 if towing. Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts